Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Here are Vickers list of tweaks/fixes for the GEN 3 Glock:

Required:

1) good nite sights (Heinie straight eights are hard to beat but there are
    many good choices on the market)

2) My mag release from Tangodown

Optional but highly recommended;

1) Buttplug - type that has nice blend into magwell (Glockmeister I think)

2) Removal of finger grooves

3) David Bowie 360 degree stipple job

4) Glock extended slide release ** left handers only

C4

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    We are diverting into "personal tastes upgrades" instead of necessary upgrades.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Littlelebowski View Post
    We are diverting into "personal tastes upgrades" instead of necessary upgrades.
    Somewhat. When Vickers says that something is needed and or a good idea, then you can pretty much gurantee that it is something that is needed.

C4

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by C4IGrant View Post
    Here are Vickers list of tweaks/fixes for the GEN 3 Glock:

Required:

1) good nite sights (Heinie straight eights are hard to beat but there are
    many good choices on the market)

2) My mag release from Tangodown

Optional but highly recommended;

1) Buttplug - type that has nice blend into magwell (Glockmeister I think)

2) Removal of finger grooves

3) David Bowie 360 degree stipple job

4) Glock extended slide release ** left handers only

C4
    I regard good sights and the Vickers mag release as necessary upgrades to the Glock...but none of those effect the core function of the weapon. All of my Glocks wear the Vickers mag release and Warren sights. I leave everything else basically alone.

The basic premise of buying a Glock and looking to replace half the internals to chase slightly smaller group sizes seems, to me anyway, to be counterproductive.
    Last edited by John_Wayne777; 04-15-10 at 09:08.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by John_Wayne777 View Post
    I regard good sights and the Vickers mag release as necessary upgrades to the Glock...but none of those effect the core function of the weapon. All of my Glocks wear the Vickers mag release and Warren sights. I leave everything else basically alone.

The basic premise of buying a Glock and looking to replace half the internals to chase slightly smaller group sizes seems, to me anyway, to be counterproductive.

I agree. The reason why you buy a polymer gun is because it cheap. It does need new sights and a new mag release for certain.

LAV was pointing out the things he would like to see changed to enhance the gun.

C4

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    I classify his recommendations as optional enhancements that will help your handling of the gun but not necessary. Like I said, I've seen some fine shooting with a stock Glock upgraded only with better sights.

Feedback Score
    I agree. The reason why you buy a polymer gun is because it cheap. It does need new sights and a new mag release for certain.

LAV was pointing out the things he would like to see changed to enhance the gun.

C4
    I disagree, at least in my case. The reason I got into Glocks was because of their reliability and durability. Their price per se was relatively immaterial in my decision process-I've had, and have far more expensive pistols. Glocks are a predominate platform for me due to their performance, not their price.

Regarding the Glockenstein article, I though that it was entertaining, well thought out and well written. While I'm unconvinced of the need to go to after-market barreling to achieve requisite accuracy, the author did do a good job of empirically testing and describing his results. His testing of recoil spring assemblys was interesting, but I think relevant only insofar as they provide an ability to tailor/fine tune gun and specific cartridge performances. I'm personally unconvinced of the alleged fragility of the OEM recoil spring assembly/guide rod-I strongly suspect that most of the breakages he cites have to do with improperly installing the assembly flange in the half-moon crescent cut in the barrel lug than any material weaknesses in the component itself. And unless one is truly knowledgeable regarding the swapping out/substitution of aftermarket recoil spring assemblies for the OEM component, I think that the end result is more likely to be compromised reliability as opposed to platform improvement.

The author's analysis of frame/receiver rail bearing area on Glocks vs the other guns compared completely missed the point; Glock's short receiver rails work, and do so with minimized metal-on-metal bearing area, in turn both minimizing lubrication requirements and the potential for detrius build-up.

The original poster asked what he could do to improve his accuracy with his G19. I think that a useful answer is for him to establish his baseline skills, improve them, and then consider making incrimental changes to the hardware on his G19. Throwing on "stuff" is expensive and arguably immaterial if one's skill and discernment isn't sufficient to appreciate and benefit from them-especially since, as many of us have commented, the basic G19 platform itself is exceptionally good. Glocks were intended primarily to be combat/duty/self-defense guns; an ability to compete with any parity with Camp Perry type guns is pretty low on their intended mission platform (even concerning the longslide G17L, G24, G34 and G35 models). Yes, like has been demonstrated with the Beretta 92 platform by the AMU and others such probably can be achieved, but likely at the expense of disproportionate cost/effort.

I guess at the end of the day, we need to sit back and determine where we stand with our individual skill-sets and platforms, and objectively determine what our specific goals are, and how to accomplish them with the resources available. Something that I personally feel is not viable or worthwhile might well be the opposite for someone else.

Best, Jon

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Exactly how many times have people in this thread seen Glock plastic guide rods break and lock up the whole gun? I haven't but I have personally experienced problems with a metal guide rod.

I really don't think the problem is statistically significant nor measurable but maybe I'm wrong.

Feedback Score
    Hey MS0892,

Incorrect. The mods I read were of value.

Ever see the PLASTIC guide rod on the Glock take a hit and break? I have. Locks the whole gun up.

Extended mag release? Needed. I would have gone with the TD/Vickers version, but it is still needed. Butt plug? Needed.

New sights? Needed.

Did you see the accuracy difference between the factory Glock barrel and the Storm Lake? I would classify that as a worthwhile upgrade.

No, he did not turn the Glock into a 1911 (as it still wouldn't shoot as smoothly as a 1911).

C4
    You were right about the extended magazine catch, and slide lock lever.

But I've seen the polymer guide rod take a LOT of abuse, and also how many rounds I've put on the Glock platform as a whole. I've never seen a Glock polymer guide rod rail.

Now, I've seen a lot of problems with SS aftermarket guide rods. I've seen them end up gouging the polymer frame on a Glock 21.

Also, I think peoples groups with SS barrels tightening up is just a placebo thing, because they already believe they're going to shoot a tighter group with it before they put it in or whatever.

The stock barrel will have a much longer service life, and have more accuracy than it's shooters.

Also, you mentioned LAV's article on the Glock platform, and stated that if he says it then it's pretty much needed.

Nowhere on that list was a replacement barrel, or guide rod.

However I do disagree with him in that I don't think I need or want the Bowie's 360 degree stipple job or removal of the finger grooves. I like the finger grooves.

Grant, I'd appreciate details about any broken polymer guide rods you've seen though.

BTW: Great thread a while back about DI Suppressed SBRs. I liked that.
    Last edited by Magic_Salad0892; 04-15-10 at 15:49.
    We miss you, AC.
    We miss you, ToddG.

Feedback Score
    C4IGrant, while we've never met, I suspect that your skill level is a bit higher than the average, and I suspect also that you have more than enough experience and expertise to know the right components/modifications to do with your Glocks for them to meet your personal needs while remaining operationally uncompromised.

On the other hand, I suspect that the average Glock user is far more likely to screw up a guide rod assembly by improperly installing it, and is far more likely to run into operational problems by swapping out OEM components with aftermarket ones, then they are to break the OEM guide rod by dropping the pistol.

Interestingly enough, the military encountered reoccurring problems with the Beretta M9's metal guide rod being rendered inoperable when dropped (presumably when attached to the pistol), and requested the component be changed to a fluted polymer one...

Dennis Tueller taught my Glock Armorers class in '08, and the only breakage issues I recall being discussed where those in conjunction with improper installation of the rod. Component replacement with an aftermarket part wasn't discussed, and Dennis was a pretty down-to-earth guy, calling the shots as he saw them.

Please don't get me wrong; I'm not in the least questioning your veracity-I don't doubt that what you described was as it occurred, I just think that in the overall spectrum of things Glock, the average user is far better off just leaving things alone regarding the guide rod/guide rod assembly, and conversely, is far more likely to experience/induce problems if the OEM guide rod is switched out for an aftermarket one.

Best, Jon
    Last edited by JonInWA; 04-16-10 at 12:42.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast