Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Surefire Scout Light LED upgrade?

Feedback Score

Surefire Scout Light LED upgrade?

Picked up a really cheap Scout Light recently. It is in really good shape and working condition but has an incandescant head/bulb (MN03 I was told) assembly. Think this makes it an M600B model?

The output is only 65 lumens from what I read on Surefire's site which seems fine but was wondering if upgrading to an LED head/bulb would be worthwhile. What I am looking for are cost effective options for upgrading to LED if so. I see if necessary I can get replacement MN03's for like $20.

I'm civ not LE/MIL and live in a pretty urbanized area so I dont see myself crawling through the bush taking on baddies. But I agree with many of the SME's that having a light on your longarm is worthwhile even if for just in case.

Thanks!

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    Malkoff drop-in + their VME head is a great setup. TNVC also makes a complete head assembly. No experience with it though.

I bought a used E1b body and put a VME head with M31 drop-in to make a DIY mini scout light. So far I'm pleased with the performance.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    VME and Malkoff head is a good option but it might just be cheaper to get a KX2C head.
    They're what the current scout lights use. 200 lumens with the TIR optic. I've come across them for around 100 bucks at a few places.

Feedback Score
    35 (100%)
    KX2C is what I run on mine. It's been a phenomenal performer.
    Sig Sauer LE Armorer
    Glock LE Armorer
    Colt AR15/M16 Armorer
    T.O.S.S. (Tactical Officer Survival School) inst. Tom Long
    Vicker's Tactical Pistol 1 & 2 Carbine 1 Advanced carbine Inst. Larry Vickers
    Intermediate pistol Inst. Ken Hackathorn
    Combat Speed Inst. Dave Harrington
    Performance Pistol Inst. Frank Proctor

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the info.

Saw the Surefire upgrade (cheapest I've seen it is $119 so far) but am looking into the other recommendations to see what is the most cost effective.

The TNVC one looks pretty nice and priced right vs. the SF one.

Checked on the VME/M61 setup but looks like the VME heads are out of stock currently.

Time to do some research/review search on the above to see which may be the better choice.

Thanks again!

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    The KX2C appears to be in-stock here:

http://www.batteryjunction.com/fl-sf...x2c-bk-wh.html
    Last edited by uwe1; 07-20-12 at 23:21.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    I got in an XP-G2 setup pumping out about 380 lumens...

...and left my KX2C in place. You simply cannot beat the TIR optic with the XR-E pill driven at about 0.8-1.0A for throw. Spill? Sure. But you won't be out-throwing your KX2C very easily by any meaningful margin.

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    If you go for the KX2C post a WTB add on the EE. You may find one quick. There's probably a few guys on here wanting to go to Vampire (KM2) heads and would be willing to sell the KX2C.

-Jax

"Despite what your mamma told you, violence does solve problems."
    -Ryan Job

Quote Originally Posted by Army Chief View Post
    "Elite" designations come from the things that you DO in life, and not from the things that you buy along the way. AC

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I posted this in the other thread and figured it may help here just for reference.

The m600 is getting a bump to 250 lumens while the m300a mini scout is getting a bump to 170 or 200 lumens. In addition, by February there will a 500 lumen scout head available.

It's amazing how far we've come. Not long ago the advertising was "60 lumens of blinding light".
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~ Paul Howe

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    I must've missed the part about the 500 lumen scout head. Thanks for that. Was wondering when that was gonna happen. This is another reason I love Defender, LX2, and Scout series of lights. The parts can be swapped out/upgraded. No need to buy an entirely new light. How I wish X300 lights could do this.

And yeh it is amazing how far in such a short time lumen output (in particular smaller size lights) has come.

-Jax
    Last edited by jaxman7; 10-10-12 at 20:33.

"Despite what your mamma told you, violence does solve problems."
    -Ryan Job

Quote Originally Posted by Army Chief View Post
    "Elite" designations come from the things that you DO in life, and not from the things that you buy along the way. AC

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast