• Other

16 23.53%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: LPVO for Military/SOF

Feedback Score

Question LPVO for Military/SOF

Good evening everyone!
    My name is Eric. I am a long time lurker/reader and this is my first post here. I did not notice a Intro page so I apologize if I am breaking any rules not posting one first.
    A tiny background on me: I have my first AR purchase recently as well as my first optic (Trijicon VCOG) so basically I don't know my ass from my elbow when it comes to ARs and certainly optics so I could really use some advice.
    My brother (he is NSW) has recently mentioned interest in trying out a variable scope on his next deployment and I thought it'd be great to get him one for Christmas. He is on shore duty teaching right now so there is quite a bit of time before he deploys next.
    I wanted to get as many opinions as possible because in addition to my lack of knowledge, there is just SO much out there to choose from. So far I have gotten two votes for a VCOG as well as one for the PA Platinum 1-8 (contender with CQBSS?) and the Eotech Vudu 1-6. Others I have been looking at were the Vortex Razor HD Gen II (not sure which reticle would be best for him), MeoTac ZD 1-4 RD, Leupold Mark 6 and the Steiner TX5i. Available funds are $2k.
    I was leaning towards the VCOG cause its suppose to be durable and seen a few in use (Jeff Gurwitch, etc), seen a few Vortex's in use as well as Geissle having a SOPMOD approved mount (along with Mark 6, CQBSS and S&B, latter two too rich for my blood lol. To me suggests it's used a lot to warrant one being made), and the Eotech because of the reticle (he uses Eotech holos regularly, ELCAN on SCAR, so thought reticle familiarity would be a nice crossover). Was unsure about the Mark 6 cause of the illumination issues and Tx5i because I wouldn't be able to afford the M model lol. I am also concerned about durability out of everything I have been looking at.
    I would say due to the conditions, a daylight visible reticle would be ideal (another check for the Vortex?) and more than likely usable with night vision (unless he just uses a mounted device like PEQ-15). I wasn't sure if maybe 1-4 or 1-5 would be too low a magnification? I know there are so many other choices out there too so I would sincerely appreciate any and all input to help make my decision. Should he not end up liking it, no biggy. I can keep, sell or return (if unused). Also would be a huge help if there are reticle choices to let me know which you think would fit the bill best. I am guessing his range is CQB to Mid? Maybe further in some instances or IDing/ranging.
    Thank you everyone in advance for your help I hope this is a nice surprise for him. Have a great weekend everyone!

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    VCOG, Razor Gen II, and MK6 are the only ones I would feel comfortable using deployed. They are the most overbuilt and most used out of the ones you mentioned, so you know they hold up. The rest imo just don't have the track record to make them viable for use in a deployed scenario.

With that being said I would nix the MK6 due to it's reticle "flicker" and reticle design.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Double post

Feedback Score
    The VCOG has been proven on deployments by stukas, the razors are getting issued, the mk6's have been used too. I personally like my VCOG and would like to have one for my work gun. I will say that the VCOG is not as bright as it could be but I prefer the reticle over the razor and mk6. I don't like how small the 1x reticle is on the mk6 and the flicker drives me crazy, my buddy has one. The razor has a great field of view but I'm not crazy on the reticle. I agree with sideways that those are the ones I would roll with. I like the VCOG reticle the best.

Feedback Score
    Kahles K16i would be my pick. I'm not sure about the NVG compatibility though.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    I've seen the vortex in use more than any other recently, that'd probably be my pick. That being said, I'd really think the teams would be able to get that issued, if they're not already.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    I've beat up my Steiner 1-4 Military pretty good at the ranch.
    It's a boat anchor compared to most commercial LPVs I have, but not any heavier than the PA FFP 1-8.
    The Steiner 1-5 might be a good/better choice, I have no experience with one.
    I'm not sure what Steiner was thinking in going with the 1-5, rather than the 1-6.
    A 1-6 is a substantial leap above a 1-4, while the 1-5 isn't.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    So a couple of those options you mentioned only offer bdc reticles. Do you know the gun this optic will be placed on your brothers ammo choice? Barnes 70 grain tsx for example. If not, then a mrad reticle is what I would recommend so he can tailor the drops to his guns velocity and round.

A couple off the top of my head with great glass, durability, and mrad reticles would be the razor 1-6 mrad, kahles 1-6 sm1, a used uso sr-4c, Leopold mk6 tmr-d, and the trijicon accupower 1-8 mrad with red reticle.

If you know he's rocking a 16in gun then by all means look into a refurb or a demo Steiner mil 1-5 or a mk6 with cmr, vcog ect...

I have owned a PA platinum 1-8 and sold it. It was heavy as **** and I'm not sure I would trust it for heavy use. Same goes with the Steiner tx series. Just too many qc problems coming out of their shop right now.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    He'll be limited to m855a1 for deployments. It's faster than m855 so it will be a little bit different from BDC's out there but not too much off. The accupower 1-8 is an awesome scope, I have one on my 3gun rifle and I love it. Red is legit daylight bright. It's a hair lighter than a razor and I prefer the reticle. It's held up so far through like 6 matches and I don't expect it to crap out on me. Battery life is short though.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Out of the ones listed, my preference is the Leupold MK6. I believe those have been issued to troops for a while.
    NRA Life Member

"WINNING" - When all of the liberal democrats and other libtards start throwing themselves off cliffs because they don't get their way...

JEDIsh: We are asked not to judge all muslims by the acts of a few extremists, but we are encouraged to judge all gun owners by extreme acts of the few.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast