Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: So bcg in nickle boron or hard chrome

Feedback Score
    Np3 is nickel teflon.

As for the article, I don't see a corrossion rate, but based on the rate of NiP, I'd say it's negligible for these uses. I also don't think people soak their bcg in copper solvent.

That said thanks for the link, I was unable to find info previously and was just going by experience with it on a lab.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    ^ NP3 is way better than NiB.. check out robar guns

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I have an NP3 bolt group. It's nice. But I still like the plain old Mil spec finish. Lube sticks and stays on the standard finish better.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Now you make me want to send an LMT enhanced carrier to Robar for some NP3

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I have liked the Young Chrome bolt and carriers I have had. They do not stake them, but if you buy it from Rainier they stake for you.

I feel it cleans easier, and I like easily being able to discern whats clean because it is chrome and not black.

I have had WMD NIBx a LMT enhanced carrier for me. I have used it a lot and nothing has flaked off, it has stained though. I think he staining was left by rand CLP burned on their. The rand clp has been total junk for me, it sets up like glue if stored on a fire arm for too long.

I have a Rainier match BCG that is NiB, I never ended up running because I think he bolt is going to break some time. Just too many reports of it causing problems.

I also have a few LMT Enhanced bolts, what ever is on there is great. Any one know what it is? NP3?

Anyway, I found chrome to be just as good as the other ones and have no reported down sides. So why not get chromed BCG even if an incremental improvement? Its only an incremental price increase.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I have 3-4 NiB BCG's that I have had no problems with, no flaking, little discoloration, but aside from that each has been GTG. No failures and they run smoother than my non NiB BCG's.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TMS951 View Post
    Anyway, I found chrome to be just as good as the other ones and have no reported down sides. So why not get chromed BCG even if an incremental improvement? Its only an incremental price increase.
    I'll admit that the more I think about this I have to admit that the S&W M&P 15-22 does have its bolt nickel coated and it has never once burped due to a lack of lube. Which is a rarity in the 22 semi-auto world.

When I built my 3-gun rifle was the closest I got to forgetting. At the range I pulled the dipstick on the jeep once or twice and borrowed a little oil. Now gun oil rises in the jeep, in my hunting bag, in my range bags, and on the bench I do my cleaning on. In fifteen years of shooting these rifles I've never had a lubrication related stoppage.

I think what I'm leery of is the concept spreading that this sort of thing is required for a reliable fighting arm. It can be nice done properly...but so is double chrome lining or hammer forging or other wizardry none of which is required, and that done poorly can turn out an inferior product.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Chrome and Fail Zero are both too slick to hold lube for me. Fail Zero being the worst by far at keeping lube on the surfaces. It runs ok... but has a glass like finish that simply will not hold lubrication.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    I am personally leery of chrome plating on bolts as fatigue appears to be the primary failure mechanism for that part. To my understanding chrome surfaces have cracks inherent to the plating process which would provide initiation points for fracture. The only peer reviewed paper I was able to find via a quick Google search on the subject of chrome plating and endurance limits was from 1949, it mentioned a marked reduction in endurance limits of plated specimens vs unplated ones. However, I am sure that processes have come a long ways since then so its results may not applicable.

Hopefully someone who is more knowledgeable of chrome plating and it's effects on engineering materials can chime in.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by pyrotechnic View Post
    I am personally leery of chrome plating on bolts as fatigue appears to be the primary failure mechanism for that part. To my understanding chrome surfaces have cracks inherent to the plating process which would provide initiation points for fracture. The only peer reviewed paper I was able to find via a quick Google search on the subject of chrome plating and endurance limits was from 1949, it mentioned a marked reduction in endurance limits of plated specimens vs unplated ones. However, I am sure that processes have come a long ways since then so its results may not applicable.

Hopefully someone who is more knowledgeable of chrome plating and it's effects on engineering materials can chime in.
    Yes, chrome has micro cracks. As to the effect on bolts, I have no clue.

However, the nib surface of markms bolt I checked out had cracks especially around the corners of the lugs and I suspect that is why it failed.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast