Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: M&P Sport

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)

M&P Sport

I picked up a new M&P Sport today. For $536 OTD I figured what the hell. My 13 year old daughter has been asking for something bigger than her 10/22 bull barrel and you can never have enough AR's in the house.

I have to say now that I got it home and have taken it apart and cleaned and lubed it is really growing on me.

Based purely on this non firing inspection it appears to be built correctly as you would assume it would be and it has excellent fit and finish. Knowing that appearance is not how you should judge a rifle this is all I have to go on until I get it to the range.

Decent staking on the castlenut and bolt carrier. Trigger is typical GI but not gritty. Upper to lower fit is excellent with very little slop.

The 1-9 twist is fine by me as I shoot mostly 55gr and 62gr ammunition XM855 being the bulk of what I shoot.
    No forward assist and no dust cover mean nothing to me since I doubt my daughter will be in a situation where either of those features will be required.

The rifle was probably the driest I have ever seen out of the box.

I immediately ditched the hand guard and stock and pistol grip. I replaced them with a Magpul CTR and MOE+ grip and MOE hand guard in FDE. I had them in my box-o-parts so no added expense.

I took my Vortex Diamondback 1.75-5 scope off a MP15-22 my son uses and mounted it on the Sport.

I plan on replacing the trigger with a SSA-E.

Overall this should make a decent starter AR for my daughter and step up from her 10/22.

I wish I would have picked one up sooner. For the price these are excellent rifles and would not hesitate to recommend them to anyone. Sure a COLT and BCM and DD are better rifles but they are also twice the cost. I have no illusions that the Sport is in same league as those brands. I own a colt and a BCM and a Noveske so I got that covered. IMHO I think the Sport is better than many of the commercial rifles on the market even missing the FA and dust cover.

For an extra AR or a loaner gun or trunk gun you can't go wrong with it.

Last edited by Fuzzy-Reticle; 07-09-14 at 14:29.
    "Run fast. Shoot straight. Die proud." -Boba Fett

Trample the weak. Hurdle the dead.

"Despite what your mamma told you, violence does solve problems." -Ryan Job

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    If I remember correctly, the M&P Sport comes with a 1x8 twist 5r rifled barrel.

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    Google is your friend. http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/w...layErrorView_Y

Quote Originally Posted by taekwondopreacher View Post

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    Now I feel bad. That's what happens when I post past my bedtime ....

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Now I feel bad. That's what happens when I post past my bedtime ....
    No need to feel bad since the early Sports did come with a Melonited 1/8 5R barrel and were actually pretty accurate. I wished they'd kept that barrel.

The Sport is a solid option for anyone on a budget not looking for bells and whistles.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    My experience with the M&P Sports have been nothing but positive. I have a friend who owns one, and I was impressed my how much nicer put together they were than other rifles in their price range. It's a fantastic starter AR imo.
    98% Sarcastic. 100% Overthinking things and making up reasons for buying a new firearm.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I often get the question of which AR to buy by first timers and newbies. In my opinion its the best option under $900! Once you past that you're into Colt/BCM range

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    They stopped doing that nearly 2 years ago. Reason? Cost and availability.

C4

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by wahoo95 View Post
    I often get the question of which AR to buy by first timers and newbies. In my opinion its the best option under $900! Once you past that you're into Colt/BCM range
    True. The SPORT beats every other low end AR on the market IMHO.

C4

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy-Reticle View Post
    I picked up a new M&P Sport today. For $536 OTD I figured what the hell.
    That's a helluva deal. Cheapest I've seen them is $559. May I ask where this was?

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast