Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: .300 Blackout on deer

Feedback Score

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rsilvers View Post
    It does not need a brake or a flash suppressor. Given the choice, I would do a flash suppressor because brakes add noise.

These ship this week.
    Thanks for the insight... I need one of the two to work with my older 762SD.

Spooky

Feedback Score
    Either one - whichever you prefer.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Clint View Post
    That may be true, but energy has never killed anybody.

A more fair comparison may be the maximum performance range, where the projectile will expand properly, nominally 1900 fps for many rifle bullets.

What is the muzzle velocity and min expansion velocity for a popular 300blk projo like the 125 vmax?
    We now know that the range at which the bullet will expand properly is no less than 300 yards:

Feedback Score
    That is going to be a kick butt hunting load for med game!

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    That is going to be a kick butt hunting load for med game!
    But wait! I regularly take shots out to 600 yards...what now?

JUST KIDDING. I am very excited about this load, this load is what I think just broke straw on the camels back. As soon as the Noveske 10" barrel is back in stock I will be sending it out to get converted to an MRP style barrel....pretty excited about this. That kind of expansion at 300 yards from a 9 inch barrel is really impressive.

Feedback Score
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QgOF-...eature=related

A You-Tube .300 BLK White Tail video ...

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by NWPilgrim View Post
    Most .308" bullets are not going to perform well at 1,600 fps but if this is a custom designed bullet for the .300 LK, what is the expansion and penetration at 1,600 fps?
    Quote Originally Posted by NWPilgrim View Post
    Thanks. [B]...It just seems that two contrary things are being claimed:
    1) Better than 7.62x39 because you can use widely available, large variety of .308" bullets

2) Performance is better than expected at low velocities because a special .308" bullet is used...
    Not really contrary. There is a larger variety of bullets available in .308 diameter than .311 allowing the reloader plenty to choose from in search of the best bullet for the job. The 300 BLK will be used for more than just deer hunting and a harder hitting substitute for the 5.56.

All calibers perform better than expected using a "special bullet". It's smart business for a company to develop a bullet to give the best performance for the job at hand. On M4carbine, it's known as "The Mission Drives the Gear". One of the most popular hunting calibers of all time relies on the performance of bullets specifically tailored to it for it's success and that's the 30-30 Winchester. Bullets have to expand enough at 30-30 velocities for humane kills and must be flat nosed (or Leverevolution design) to prevent setting off the primers of the cartridges in tubular magazines during recoil. The success of the 223/5.56 is due to bullets specifically tailored to the cartridge and expected mission parameters. The best thing Remington can do for the 300 BLK is to develop a bullet that launched at the velocities of the 300 BLK that will give the best terminal performance on deer inside 300 yards. It's not as a replacement of the 7.62x39 that will ensure the popularity of the 300 BLK but, in a light AR carbine, as the modern successor to the 30-30
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    6.8 has more brass in the shell so it can never be as cheap. Also the 300 BLK is planned to sell on volume.
    I think it may have more to do with production costs. To make "basic" brass, that is, brass with a fully formed head, primer pocket, flash hole and rim but not necked down is an expensive, tooling and machinery intensive process. To neck down basic brass, trim it and load it are simple cheap processes, in fact, you can do it at home. 223 and 300 use the same basic brass and given the popularity of 223 the ammo companies will use their most efficient machines. 6.8 uses the oddball 30 Remington basic case, to make this one they will use semi-obsolete machines.

......Works with 30 caliber bullets that are so common......
    When I first read about 6.8 I was enthusiastic except for the caliber. .277? Sheesh! There is nothing can be done with .277 that can't be done with 7mm and usually better. And there are a lot more 7mm bullets available.
    Last edited by Suwannee Tim; 01-15-12 at 16:36.

Feedback Score
    Is that true? There were a lot more 7mm bullets?

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast