Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Federal 9BP Gelatin Tests

Feedback Score

Federal 9BP Gelatin Tests

Are there any available gelatin tests for the Federal 9BP 115 gr loads? While there are many improved loadings now, the 9BP was a good load for its time and it would be interesting to have it to compare to today's controlled expansion rounds.

Thanks.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jwalker View Post
    Are there any available gelatin tests for the Federal 9BP 115 gr loads? While there are many improved loadings now, the 9BP was a good load for its time and it would be interesting to have it to compare to today's controlled expansion rounds.

Thanks.
    On what do you base your assessment of the 9BP being a "good load for it's time".

And which time was that? And which other loads of that "time" was it better than?

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jake'sDad View Post
    On what do you base your assessment of the 9BP being a "good load for it's time".

And which time was that? And which other loads of that "time" was it better than?
    The 9BP was widely considered to be one of the best readily available, non-exotic commercially loaded standard pressure 9mm loadings all through the 90s. I still use it.
    Ken in Texas

Feedback Score
    The 1980's and 1990's, I suppose. I understand many police departments used them, so I presume they were well-considered.

Is there a problem with my question?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    The 9BP was widely considered to be one of the best readily available, non-exotic commercially loaded standard pressure 9mm loadings all through the 90s.
    By who?

And why?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jwalker View Post
    The 1980's and 1990's, I suppose. I understand many police departments used them, so I presume they were well-considered.

Is there a problem with my question?
    No. Just trying to understand your statement.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    By who?

And why?
    Per published testing data that was widely available at the time.

Because of a good balance between pressure, reliable feeding and terminal effectiveness.

Why are you being so argumentative? Do your own research if you want the answers to your questions. There's plenty of information out there on the 9BP.
    Ken in Texas

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Federal 9BPLE is +P+ ammo and was considered good ammo during the days when "Light and Fast" was all the rage. Do a little searching and you'll find it was in use by many agencies small and large around the country with success. I still have some and while I prefer heavier more modern bullet designs, I wouldn't feel ill equipped if I needed to use it. Don't have a source, but I do remember reading where it has the best stopping performance of all 9mm ammo based on actual shootings. That tells me that it must work fairly well and must have been in widespread use.

This data was taken from StoppingPower.net:

10% Ballistic Gelatin Tests for:
    Federal 9mm 115gr. +p+ 9BPLE

Testing Platform: Glock 19

Barrier: 4 Layers of Denim

TEST RESULTS:

Round # 1:
    Penetration: 12.50"
    Recovered Weight: 110.1 gr.
    Expansion*: .680 cal.
    Velocity: 1298 fps.
    Notes: .680 at widest “leg,” .551 cal average diameter.

* Expansion measured at widest point.
    Last edited by wahoo95; 02-02-11 at 10:00.

Feedback Score
    By who?

And why?
    Keep in mind that the NYPD would only allow Winchester 115 grn FMJ's up until 1999-2000.

In the 1990's, many angencies issued Federal 115 grn 9mm in standard, +P, +P+ and Hydrashock loadings.

Winchester Silvertips were also commonly issued.

When I started my career in 1996, the agency I worked for had just switched from a Federal 115 grn JHP (don't recall which loading) to a Remington 124 grn Golden Saber +P. The Golden Saber's were replaced with the 135 grn Tactical Bonded round 2-3 years later.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    Per published testing data that was widely available at the time.

Because of a good balance between pressure, reliable feeding and terminal effectiveness.

Why are you being so argumentative? Do your own research if you want the answers to your questions. There's plenty of information out there on the 9BP.
    How am I being "argumentative"?

What makes this site different than others. is statements are usually backed up.

You said "The 9BP was widely considered to be one of the best readily available, non-exotic commercially loaded standard pressure 9mm loadings all through the 90s".

When I ask "by who?", you answer "per published testing data that was widely available at the time", then cop an attitude?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast