Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: G19 gen 3 (?) front sight change

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

G19 gen 3 (?) front sight change

I'm overdue for a sight change, and am not familiar with removal of this particular Glock front. Is that a metal post, and needs to be punched out?

I assumed this was a gen 3?

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Is this the stock plastic sight? If so, just grab the top with some pliers, twist, and pull.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Its the stock sight, but looks different for the other plastic sights I've replaced.

I'm ordering the GL-447 Ameriglo Spartan set from OpticsPlanet. It indicates for Glock 17 only, but I'm guessing its for the G19 as well.

https://www.opticsplanet.com/amerigl...AJDG198-GL-447

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    The Gen 3 sights were not screw in. Just put it out with pliers and screw in the new ones.
    AQ planned for years and sent their A team to carry out the attacks, and on Flight 93 they were thwarted by a pick-up team made up of United Frequent Fliers. Many people look at 9/11 and wonder how we can stop an enemy like that. I look at FL93 and wonder, "How can we lose?". -- FromMyColdDeadHand

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ggammell View Post
    The Gen 3 sights were not screw in. Just put it out with pliers and screw in the new ones.
    This. Pliers simple. The front site on the G19's gen 3's tend to be metal. Not a big deal, rip it off and rock on with new sights.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    This is weird. I JUST (as in last Thursday) replaced the front and rear on 2 G19 gen 3s- I used the hex front sight tool and unscrewed the front plastic sights before putting the new metal ones on?

Either way, the gentlemens are correctified. Pop it off and use whatever new attachment mechanism you need.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by bignc View Post
    This is weird. I JUST (as in last Thursday) replaced the front and rear on 2 G19 gen 3s- I used the hex front sight tool and unscrewed the front plastic sights before putting the new metal ones on?

Either way, the gentlemens are correctified. Pop it off and use whatever new attachment mechanism you need.
    I believe that Glock switched from the staked style to the screw in style later on in Gen 3.
    AQ planned for years and sent their A team to carry out the attacks, and on Flight 93 they were thwarted by a pick-up team made up of United Frequent Fliers. Many people look at 9/11 and wonder how we can stop an enemy like that. I look at FL93 and wonder, "How can we lose?". -- FromMyColdDeadHand

Feedback Score
    Attachment 51796
    The OP's front sight is staked in. Whether it's polymer or steel is beyond determining with my photo analytic skill and best determined in-person by the OP. Glock had both polymer and, optional, steel staked-in front sights at some time. The night sights, as I recall, were steel, but staked-in at the factory.

Aftermarket front sights were typically screwed in as they are now.

The attached photo is my, now obsolete, Armorer's front sight staking tool I bought after my first Glock Armorer's course. At the time, I'd already used my personal G22gen2 for work, then issued a G22gen2, then issued a G22gen3.

Glock front sight availability has gone through some changes over the years. There were later, some pinned in front sights, with the pin inserted directly upward into the sight base, effectively spreading out the base. The staking tool was not needed for those pinned-in front sights.

To remove the staked-in front sights, the posters here are basically correct. Making sure to protect the top of the slide, the expeditious way was to merely grip the front sight with pliers and twist or pry off the front sight. An alternate means, which possibly could allow the front sight to be reused, was to tap the front sight out from below using an appropriately-sized punch.

Both the staked-in and pinned front sights are in-the-past and no longer sold that way.

Even so, screwed-attached front sights aren't perfect. Recently, I had a Glock-brand front metal front sight delivered which missed getting threaded. If too heavy-handed, a polymer or metal front sight's threads can be easily stripped. Rarely, but I seem to recall it happening to me, is a front sight screw shearing its head off leaving the remaining thread portion of the screw stuck in the front sight (I've no "easy-out" small enough to remove that small of a screw).

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    As stated just pull it off. I don't think anyone was really successful re-staking those types when they got loose anyway. Luckily new sights are affordable and easy to put on. With the front just clean clean and clean them again (front sight, screw and slide). I ALWAYS use Loctite 271 and literally glue the front sight on. Meaning not just the screw but the blade to the slide and the screw as well. Check for tighten her down snug and a bit more and wipe it all down with a couple Q-tips. I leave it horizontal for at least a day and then come back and clean it off again. I never like to introduce solvent into the equation so keep that stuff away from your new front, at least for awhile.

Good luck!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MStarmer View Post
    As stated just pull it off. I don't think anyone was really successful re-staking those types when they got loose anyway. Luckily new sights are affordable and easy to put on. With the front just clean clean and clean them again (front sight, screw and slide). I ALWAYS use Loctite 271 and literally glue the front sight on. Meaning not just the screw but the blade to the slide and the screw as well. Check for tighten her down snug and a bit more and wipe it all down with a couple Q-tips. I leave it horizontal for at least a day and then come back and clean it off again. I never like to introduce solvent into the equation so keep that stuff away from your new front, at least for awhile.

Good luck!

Have you been successful with removal/replacement of a front sight, that's been glued and thread locked w/ 271? I'm guessing you used a heat gun, blowing down into the slide?
    Last edited by bluedog; 05-01-18 at 19:51.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast