Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: AR-15 pistols?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Sounds like you went the right route!

Good choice, and hope it's working out well.

For Pistols, I know my original is super overgassed. One of these days I will pick up a different barrel and fix that.

Overall though, I enjoy the KAK Shockwave.

Let us know how it does accuracy/precision wise for you.

Feedback Score
    Good info here, as I’m in the same boat as you OP.

I was going to pick up an aero precision 10.5” for my pistol build.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Best way to assemble a reliable AR pistol-
    - Buy a Colt lower from Brownell's
    - Preorder an SBA3 Adjustable Arm brace from Brownell's
    - Buy a complete Colt 6933 upper from G&R Tactical our Vendor on Gunbroker
    - Replace buttstock with SBA3 arm brace
    - Assemble upper and lower
    - Shoot
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    Best way to assemble a reliable AR pistol-
    - Buy a Colt lower from Brownell's
    - Preorder an SBA3 Adjustable Arm brace from Brownell's
    - Buy a complete Colt 6933 upper from G&R Tactical our Vendor on Gunbroker
    - Replace buttstock with SBA3 arm brace
    - Assemble upper and lower
    - Shoot
    When you buy a complete lower with buttstock can you ask for it to be listed as other? (Granted, I purchased 5 lowers at once all having them marked as others. But all were stripped/featureless.)

Or is that limited to stripped lowers?

My biggest concern would be an FFL not wanting to list it as a pistol while utilizing rifle furniture.

I figure it wouldn't fly in MN due to our regulations about collapsible stocks and pistol grips. MN would require marked as rifle.

IIRC, a other can be made into a pistol or rifle. A pistol can be made into a rifle and back. But a rifle cannot be made into a pistol.

I guess I dunno of this is even something to even care about.

For the record though: the build you laid out sounds amazing... Truly.
    Last edited by HeruMew; 05-03-18 at 00:48.

Feedback Score

AR-15 pistols?

I bought an “assembled” lower, minus tube and stock, and it was sold to me as a “receiver”.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by HeruMew View Post
    When you buy a complete lower with buttstock can you ask for it to be listed as other? (Granted, I purchased 5 lowers at once all having them marked as others. But all were stripped/featureless.)

Or is that limited to stripped lowers?
    Lower receivers are categorized as "Other Firearm (Frame, Receiver, etc.) in box 16 of section B on the 4473 and should be listed as "receiver" in box 27 of section D. This is true regardless of if they are stripped, partially assembled, or assembled with either a pistol, carbine, or rifle buffer tube. The presence or absence of a buffer tube of any type does not change the classification of a lower.

This is the reason you must be 21 to buy an assembled "rifle lower" from an FFL but may buy a complete rifle at the age of 18.
    Last edited by Tx_Aggie; 05-03-18 at 09:25.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    When you buy a complete lower with buttstock can you ask for it to be listed as other?...I figure it wouldn't fly in MN due to our regulations about collapsible stocks and pistol grips. MN would require marked as rifle.
    It is required that a lower, with or without rifle stock, be listed as OTHER on the Form 4473 unless local ordinances require otherwise. If Minnesota requires a lower with a rifle stock to be listed as a rifle, then that's how it's done. If that is so, you could call Brownell's and ask them if they'll ship the Colt lower without the rifle stock.

However, it would be best to find out exactly what the law in your state requires.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    It is required that a lower, with or without rifle stock, be listed as OTHER on the Form 4473 unless local ordinances require otherwise. If Minnesota requires a lower with a rifle stock to be listed as a rifle, then that's how it's done. If that is so, you could call Brownell's and ask them if they'll ship the Colt lower without the rifle stock.

However, it would be best to find out exactly what the law in your state requires.
    Thanks, everyone, for the clarification.

Makes a lot of sense; you can certainly see how our local laws have an impact.

I, honestly, don't know if an FFL would force the classification of Rifle, even in Minnesota, I just didn't know if they could come assembled and still be listed as Other. However, like all things, I imagine some FFLs will have preferences and it would be best discussed with them before purchase.

Very cool, and makes me happy other states can, even if Minnesota is picky about the silly stuff.

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    It doesn't matter what the FFL wants to list it as. Without it being complete, it's an other.

Thanks, everyone, for the clarification.

Makes a lot of sense; you can certainly see how our local laws have an impact.

I, honestly, don't know if an FFL would force the classification of Rifle, even in Minnesota, I just didn't know if they could come assembled and still be listed as Other. However, like all things, I imagine some FFLs will have preferences and it would be best discussed with them before purchase.

Very cool, and makes me happy other states can, even if Minnesota is picky about the silly stuff.

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Thanks for educating.

After researching this a bit more yesterday, I understand a lot more.

I always appreciate you guys taking the time to educate on a misconception.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12