Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 10.5" SBR: Magpul UBR stock too heavy?

Feedback Score
    82 (100%)
    Then my recommendation is to stick with a "lighter" stock. It is of course my personal opinion.

My MK18 MOD1 runs with a SOPMOD Gen 2 and it keeps the whole rifle balanced nicely and it still maintains it's light(er) weight characteristics.

Stocks are very user specific. Try some out and stick with the one that gives you everything you're looking for.

EDITED TO ADD: THe only things I run on the front of my SBR is a SF M600 scout in a HS SBR mount and a KAC forward grip. So for me, it's minimalist for my needs and it doesn't feel like a boat anchor out front.

Quote Originally Posted by Armadillo View Post
    I'm going to keep it light weight.
    Last edited by davidjinks; 11-19-14 at 23:40.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Ive used the UBR to balance out SPR and DMR rifles. But I mean if you really want a rear heavy SBR, to each his own.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by vicious_cb View Post
    Ive used the UBR to balance out SPR and DMR rifles. But I mean if you really want a rear heavy SBR, to each his own.
    Post #2 got me thinking.

A 10.5 is very short and part of that advantage is that is is more maneuverable.

I am thinking I would be defeating the purpose of such a SBR is the back end is so heavy.

I can always get another stamp for a UBR but I think the first one should be more utilitarian.

Like Stickman said, it did not take much for me to change my mind.

I can be fickle at times when deciding on options.

I still need to think about this.

I also have heard of people using UBR's on SBR's because there has been discussion of overall length on the Form 1.

I have some time to think about it since the lengths are within a 1/2 inch or so.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    I originally intended to run UBR's on everything - I love that stock.

I now run VLTOR A5 RE/Buffer/Spring kits with Magpul ACS Stocks on stuff (for all three go-to lowers)... they're half a pound lighter than a UBR with H2 buffer setup, more flexible on gas impulse to still cycle the action, and still cheaper. If you like the VLTOR EMod, those things come in for super-cheap if you're going A5 kit, the ACS-L is another nice stock... I also run one each of those. If you want maximally short, the standard 6-position RE with an STR/SOPMOD/IMOD/BCM GFS/MagpulSL is also worth a look.
    The UBR's now live exclusively on my long heavy precision rifles where they keep the center of mass from being more than 4" in front of the magwell, everything else a lighter overall rifle did more to help balanced feel for me than adding heft to the back, hence the A5/ACS setups.
    عندما تصبح الأسلحة محظورة, قد يملكون حظرون عندهم فقط
    کله چی سلاح منع شوی دی، یوازي غلوونکۍ یی به درلود
    Semper Fi
    "Being able to do the basics, on demand, takes practice. " - Sinister

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    I had a UBR behind a 16" KMR ELW upper and found it slightly heavy for even that. I just took the UBR off and put it on a LR308 build I am working on. I replaced the UBR stock with the Mission first tactical BULS stock. The BULS stock is not supper light at 8oz but I like that it fits snug without a lock, has massive storage, a good cheek weld, and is a lot lighter then the UBR

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    I always thought my 10.3 was too heavy with the UBR. I switched to the A5 RE and SOPMOD stock...

"Perfect Practice Makes Perfect"
    "There are 550 million firearms on this planet. That's one firearm for every 12 people. The question is... How do we arm the other 11?" Lord of War.
    "I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Armadillo View Post
    Do you have a UBR on any SBR's?
    Yup, I swap lowers around with uppers all the time.
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stickman View Post
    Even on the China doll lower...

That's awesome

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I like my UBR. I think it's great to offset the weight of a can. But I do like the Vltor A5's and you can't run them. The new BCM Stocks are nice and the sopmod ole faithful for SBR's.
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast