Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: The FN FS2000: A Complete Review *several updates*

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Very thorough write-up! I had seen a few guys with these at my local range and always admired how cool and futuristic they looked. I never really gave them much thought though.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    OP updated with new pics that show more clearly the tri rail, as well as the modified handguard/light setup
    Last edited by lloydkristmas; 08-30-10 at 19:15.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Added a couple pics, and have some updates.

500 rounds down the pipe since last update, still no reliability issues.

A metal charging handle is in the works, should remedy any issues with CH durability, even though I have never had a problem.

I'm selling the Tri-Rail, because I have found that the extra width, added weight, and high cost arent really worth it. I prefer the ergonomics of the flashlight-modified factory handguard, and I think that is probably the best setup for the rifle. Some guys like the vertical grip, and it does add a little bit of stability, but I dont feel it is worth the trade offs.

Couple pics

Feedback Score
    I have one of the first 500 green FS2000's made so I can comment on it as I have had it for at least 4.5 years.

#1 I really liked the OP write up--kudos to you for taking the time and he is dead on for most aspects.

#2 I have learned to use HK black 30 round mags if I want the mag to come out the gun nicely, they are flawless. This is a must with this gun if you are serious about it.

#3 The trigger group in mine would not set off 5.56 ammo for over a year I waited patiently for Bob and he sent me a new one--since it's replacement my gun has run 100%. So after a mild "tweak" the gun will run on any .223 or 5.56 I have shot, and that is alot of different types. IMI 55 and 62 grain, Lake City 55, Spanish 62, British 62, Barnaul 55 and 62, and 69 Privi, 75 grain Hornady and 77 grain grain Hunting Shack.

#4 The new "Neu-Trigger" works on the trigger a little. I hate the trigger in this gun, if anyone really came up with a good trigger job they could stay busy. The Neu-trigger is easy and cheap to use but it only "smooths" out the trigger a little, it did not "lighten" the 10-12 lb. trigger to me. I find it wears out my finger trying to shoot decent groups with the rifle after about 80 rounds. This is a real sticking point to me and probably why I would grab my AUGA3 every time out the safe before this one-the Trigger Tamer 5 lb. trigger is light years better on the AUG.

#5 Mounting a sling and light is a pain in the butt, compared to the AUG

#6 The damn charging handle broke on mine, and I don't abuse it or use it in "carbine classes", this is a true weak point in the design. I know metal ones are being made as we speak but FN knows about this and refuses to upgrade the gun.

If anyone ever imported the Tavor this rifle would be gone out my safe, my left handed 11 year old loves this thing-that is why I have kept it

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    UPDATE

My FS2000 is now equipped with a metal charging handle. Custom machined by member "Judochop" of AR15.com, I believe he made a run of 80 units, can be reached by PM at that site.

Its solid, installs in 30 seconds with the FN punch tool. Its slightly longer than the original unit, gives better finger grip space.

While the "HK slap" is still not a necessary step in the reload of this weapon, I think the metal charging handle fixes what is likely the biggest drawback to this weapon. For whatever reason, FN refuses to update the design, so us end-users have to do it instead.

Im very pleased with the upgrade, and I have more confidence in the durability of the weapon now.

Cost: $50

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I bought mine because I liked the way it looked. I told my daughter it is a ray gun.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by lloydkristmas View Post
    UPDATE

My FS2000 is now equipped with a metal charging handle. Custom machined by member "Judochop" of AR15.com, I believe he made a run of 80 units, can be reached by PM at that site.

Its solid, installs in 30 seconds with the FN punch tool. Its slightly longer than the original unit, gives better finger grip space.

While the "HK slap" is still not a necessary step in the reload of this weapon, I think the metal charging handle fixes what is likely the biggest drawback to this weapon. For whatever reason, FN refuses to update the design, so us end-users have to do it instead.

Im very pleased with the upgrade, and I have more confidence in the durability of the weapon now.

Cost: $50

Pics?

The durability of the charging handle has been a big no-go for me.

The other is the inability to clear a multiple feed way stoppage without having to strip the weapon.

I would like to see some detailed pics of the new charging handle.
    Employee of colonialshooting.com

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Templar,

These are not my pics, but belong to a guy over at AR15.com who also installed the new charging handle.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=6&f=24&t=326005

As far as having to strip the weapon to clear it.....I have put somewhere in the neighborhood of 4000+- rounds through the rifle, and I have only experienced a handful of ammo or user-error induced malfunctions, none of which necessitated stripping the gun apart. Yank the mag, pull the charging handle three times, reinsert mag, pull charging handle. Following that manual of arms has cleared any issue I have ever run into. Im sure something catastrophic might require you to pull the top half off of the gun, but I'm also sure that the same type of malfunction would play hell on an AR
    Last edited by lloydkristmas; 10-26-10 at 18:39.

Feedback Score
    54 (100%)
    I'm taking my FS2000 to the range tomorrow night. The GF wants to shoot it, so she can burn off the remaining Barnaul .223 I have.

She gets to clean it as well!
    Last edited by GermanSynergy; 10-29-10 at 19:32.
    SSG Jimmy Ide- KIA 28 Aug 10, Hyderabad, AFG

1SG Blue Rowe- KIA 26 May 09, Panjshir, AFG.

RIP Brothers

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by GermanSynergy View Post
    I'm taking my FS2000 to the range tomorrow night. The GF wants to shoot it, so she can burn off the remaining Barnaul .223 I have.

She gets to clean it as well!

95% of the shooting I have done (almost 4,000 rounds) with my FS2000 has been cheapo Barnaul steel cased - the same stuff a lot of AR guys will run far away from.

I have had ONE jam with Barnaul steel. As far as Im concerned, this stuff works just fine in the gun. I picked up a dozen boxes today for $3.99 from Academy.

The FS2000 is like an AK in terms of ammo selection, it will eat most anything.

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast