Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 922(r) and SBR

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

922(r) and SBR

So for years the prevailing wisdom was the 922(r) did not apply to SBRs. I recently saw on another site an official looking ATF opinion dated July 2009 that seems to state that 922(r) does in fact apply to registered SBRs. Anybody got any definitive info on this?
    As the great warrior poet Ice-Cube once said, "If the day does not require an AK, it is good."

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by vaglocker View Post
    So for years the prevailing wisdom was the 922(r) did not apply to SBRs. I recently saw on another site an official looking ATF opinion dated July 2009 that seems to state that 922(r) does in fact apply to registered SBRs. Anybody got any definitive info on this?
    Are semi auto SBRs importable?
    Chief Armorer for Elite Shooting Sports in Manassas VA
    Chief Armorer for Corp Arms (FFL 07-08/SOT 02)

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    That policy is under review.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    There is a lot of interest in this now, much of it due to the MKE produced HK94/SP89 pistols that have been recently imported.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JSGlock34 View Post
    There is a lot of interest in this now, much of it due to the MKE produced HK94/SP89 pistols that have been recently imported.
    A pistol is importable. I don't think a non-full auto SBR exists which IS importable.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I think the concern comes into play when someone wants to convert one of the MKE pistols into a MP5 configuration by adding a buttstock (thus creating a SBR). At that point the pistol becomes a rifle, and thus there is concern about 922(R) coming into effect.
    Last edited by JSGlock34; 01-15-10 at 22:20.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    The last ATF letter I read said 922 didnt allpy to any NFA weapon....
    FFL/SOT

Chuck Norris has to maintain a concealed weapon license in all 50 states in order to legally wear pants.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I got a response from Jim Fuller at Rifle Dynamics. He is credible source as he is a manufacturer of AKM style SBRs. His response is below:

The ATF has issued a ruling about NFA guns being 922R compliant. With the ATF you never know how they will react, this would mainly apply to SBRs since you can't make "new machine guns" for the public. A lot of US parts available for the standard AK will not work on the krinks. There are parts out there to get it done but not many choices.
    Receiver
    G-2
    Pistol grip
    Handgards from Ironwood or K-var
    There are also short US pistons available
    So it can be done it just adds more cost to the gun.
    www.ATACTV.com
    As the great warrior poet Ice-Cube once said, "If the day does not require an AK, it is good."

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JSGlock34 View Post
    I think the concern comes into play when someone wants to convert one of the MKE pistols into a MP5 configuration by adding a buttstock (thus creating a SBR). At that point the pistol becomes a rifle, and thus there is concern about 922(R) coming into effect.
    If you made the junk MKE pistol into a Title 1 rifle (16" bbl) with a stock I can certainly see how 922(r) would certainly apply.
    If you made it into a registered SBR on an approved Form 1 you've instantly removed it from an importable firearm status hence why 922(r) would no longer apply.

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by gotm4 View Post
    If you made it into a registered SBR on an approved Form 1 you've instantly removed it from an importable firearm status hence why 922(r) would no longer apply.
    This has been the longstanding ruling of the ATF. Recently, a letter issued contradicted that. The issue is currently under review.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast