Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: M&P 9mm VS M&P 40 S&W

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Like SwatCop said, in a CCW / HD situation, you probably aren't going to be shooting through barriers like glass.

I've owned a couple .40s over the years, still own one, and I don't think I'll buy anymore. If I was assigned one as a duty gun, I'd be more than happy, but for CCW / SD, the round just feels too hot vs. 9mm. And you can't beat Wally's 9mm price....

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by M4CARBINE556 View Post
    I'm afraid that it might be boring to shoot compared to the 40, any thoughts? Thanks
    How do you define boring in this context?
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    I will never buy another .40, I am not a fan of how it shoots, irrespective of platform.

I prefer 9mm, and in the M&P 9mm is one smooth shooter.

And shooting should never be boring. If it is, you aren't pushing your skills to the limit.
    Last edited by variablebinary; 11-07-10 at 13:03.
    Kein Mitleid Für Die Mehrheit
    What Happened to the American dream? It came true. You're looking at it.

Feedback Score
    I have both and they're both fun to shoot. I'd say go with whichever caliber you shoot best if you try a 9. For self defense, both calibers will do the job as long as you have quality ammo.
    ...I WON"T BE THE VICTIM, BUT THE FIRST TO CAST A STONE...

Feedback Score
    With the 40 M&P platform, you also have the option of shooting either the 357 SIG or 9mm w/drop in barrels and mags. Just say'n.....

Feedback Score
    "I like that the 9mm holds 2 extra rounds and that ammo is cheaper, but I'm afraid that it might be boring to shoot compared to the 40, any thoughts?"
    M4CARBINE556--I have lots of thoughts. The first one is how much training do you have? Your comment above is quite humorous unless it was not done in jest. The M&P9 is the "softest" shooting 9 mm pistol I have ever used. Likewise, the M&P40 is the best .40 S&W pistol I have had the opportunity to shoot. Either will be more than adequate and neither is "boring" if you are properly training. If you are just plinking, why not use a .22LR?

Feedback Score
    Thanks for all the replies, it sounds like the 9mm is the way to go.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    .40S&W

Bob
    " Some people say..any tactic that works is a good tactic,...I say, anything can work once" former ABQ swat Sgt.

Feedback Score
    9mm. with good ammo, sd won't be a problem. cheaper to shoot as well.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gsxr-fan View Post
    With the 40 M&P platform, you also have the option of shooting either the 357 SIG or 9mm w/drop in barrels and mags. Just say'n.....
    This is what lead me to liking the M&P40. It will be more of a range novelty for me to shoot 357S or 9 out of mine, but it's fun to have that ability (if I ever qualify with all 3...)

Plus, as SWATcop1911 said, I plan on using this on duty and dealing with intermediate barriers is a possibility.
    It is not length of life, but depth of life. - Emerson
    My boy Ducks fav quote - RIP brother

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast