Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: New Model "Hackathorn Special"!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by brushy bill View Post
    This is very interesting, especially considering all the flak STI catches. Hope to hear more.
    STI makes a good gun. They really market more towards the competition crowd, which shoots a lot of 9mm and 40SW in the 1911 platform. They wouldn't be making money if they didn't run. They don't even come close to looking traditional, but they sure do run...

Costa ran a STI SS Tactical in 9mm for a while too.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by STS View Post
    For yourself?
    One for me and one for another personal friends of Ken's. Then, we are going to have him autograph them and throw them in the safe for our children.

C4

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by beschatten View Post
    STI makes a good gun. They really market more towards the competition crowd, which shoots a lot of 9mm and 40SW in the 1911 platform. They wouldn't be making money if they didn't run. They don't even come close to looking traditional, but they sure do run...

Costa ran a STI SS Tactical in 9mm for a while too.
    STI's need work to them to make them run well. The STI that Ken has is a single stack and it was tuned by Superior Firearms (dealer on this forum).

C4

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by C4IGrant View Post
    STI's need work to them to make them run well. The STI that Ken has is a single stack and it was tuned by Superior Firearms (dealer on this forum).

C4
    For a $1,500 price bracket pistol, I don't expect them to be perfect. The one I observed had a really well done ramped barrel. I'm guessing the timing was slightly off on his?

Feedback Score
    I ran a 9mm 1911 at a four day McNamara course in Tucson. I purposely took it there already a thousand rounds dirty. I shot exactly 1100 rounds of Speer Lawman at the class. I had one failure to extract in those 2100 rounds. A steel Govt model in 9 is a dream to shoot and for me the 45/9 debate doesn't mean much these days. We have had several dead on scene shootings at my work with 124+P Gold dot. Though I still carry a 45 at work cause it is a rail gun.

Feedback Score
    Never mind. My statement was starting to hijack the thread. Sorry. Back to the wilson gun
    Last edited by mike240; 05-30-14 at 14:24.

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by CoryCop25 View Post
    You are correct! When I was shooting with Ken last summer he ran an STI 9mm 1911. He said that it was the only reliable 9MM 1911 he had. I would like to know what Wilson did to the 9mm model they built for him to make him switch in less than a year's time.
    In a class last weekend Ken ran his ivory handled Wilson combat 45 except for the low light session where he switched to an MP 9 full size about 10 pm.
    As has been stated, he walked thru the whole 9mm vs 45 debate and noted with today's bullets it has closed the gap so that it's almost non-existent. Clearly he likes the 9mm. However, as we were beginning the "classroom portion" (which amounted to writing on the target taped to his truck) he asked what we would be shooting. After hearing that half the class was running HKs (including me) he asked if any of us didn't own a 1911 in 45 caliber. When he confirmed that we all did he expressed his pleasure that he didn't have any "commie f***s" in the class. Even so, Ken said a couple of times that he'll be transitioning more to 9mm but not because he prefers it over the 45.
    The class was great. I was exhausted afterword -- more mentally than anything -- he pours out great info faster than you can absorb it.
    He talked about the WC Hackenthorn model briefly because we asked. I only wish I could afford it.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    I recently attended a gel shoot (sponsored by Winchester). We were asked to bring other ammo for comparison. The Ranger T and Federal HST and Speer Gold Dot all preformed similar. The expansion of the 9mm in all brands was amazing. Most expanded to .56 inches!
    I hope to get more insight on Ken's pistol when I visit him in a couple weeks. I'm stoked! He usually invites a few local LE and competition shooters when I come out. Surprisingly, his first year out there, no one knew who he was. He's a silent professional.
    No matter if we are in a class setting or sitting down having diner, his stories and the way he tells them are mesmerizing. He is a true legend.
    "Perfect Practice Makes Perfect"
    "There are 550 million firearms on this planet. That's one firearm for every 12 people. The question is... How do we arm the other 11?" Lord of War.
    "I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by STS View Post
    New video up with Ken describing the gun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=734r...bs_digest-ctrl
    Stupid question (and semi-necro):

Anybody know what holster Ken is rocking in this video?
    " Nil desperandum - Never Despair. That is a motto for you and me. All are not dead; and where there is a spark of patriotic fire, we will rekindle it. "
    - Samuel Adams -

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fjallhrafn View Post
    Stupid question (and semi-necro):

Anybody know what holster Ken is rocking in this video?
    Possibly a Sparks #1AT. Hasn't been cataloged in a LONG time, but I believe they will still make them as a special order... or when guys like Hackathorn want one.
    Up men! Up! And to your posts! Let no man forget today that he is from Old Virginia! - General George Pickett

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast