Page 12 of 37 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: Trijicon SRS

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by C4IGrant View Post
    1. Remember that big Army uses a lot of AA batts. So that is why. The AA battery is superior to the CR123A at the 1.5V level with this low of a power draw.
    2. Agree, but it does little to help when shooting in close quarters with a SUPER bright light. It does little to help at night unless your eyes are well adjusted, if the ACOG is any indicator. Definitely NOT what you want for a quick-pick up RDS dot.
    3. Not a bad idea, but my guess is that all the solars capability is being used to fuel the dot. I saw them firing it on an overcast looking day in one of the videos sans battery, I was impressed!

C4
    My .02 having never fondled the SRS.
    Last edited by WS6; 10-17-11 at 08:55.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Belloc View Post
    Accupoints are Trijicon.
    Maybe you misunderstood me or I left the wrong impression, I own two Accupoints and am quite aware they are made by Trijicon.

I meant I'd rather have a Trijicon than an Aimpoint if they were roughly equal.

Using the quote button messes me up sometimes, because it doesn't pick up the quotes in the quotes, if you know what I mean.

Let me clean this up too: I own Aimpoint too, but I just like the idea of buying a good American made product and we all can appreciate the need to support American businesses right now. I'm just saying some folks should give Trijicon the benefit of the doubt before throwing up all over their new effort. They generally make very good equipment, much of it designed to keep our soldiers alive.
    Last edited by ScottsBad; 10-17-11 at 12:45.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WS6 View Post
    Negative on #1. Google energizer L91. it is lithium just like a cr123 so leaking and cold weather are similarly non problematic, it is rated at 3,000mah (compared to 1600mah or so of the best cr123's), and it has a listed shelf life of 15 years. It is superior to the cr123 in every way provided that the voltage is adequate, which for an rds, it is.
    Yeah, well I'm not going to argue with you, it is just my preference because my lights use CR123. So I don't want to carry two types of battery. Also, you can fit 2 CR123s in the space of an AA, so from a space perspective it's really 3200mah compared to 3000mah.

From an engineering point of view a AA battery IS more appropiate for a low current drawing device like the Trijicon SRS. Where the CR123 is better for high current drawing devices such as LED flashlights (they run at 3V instead if 1.5V).

But I just want to carry one stinking battery, and I want to stock up on one battery, so give me something that will work in high performance lights, night vision, and optics.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottsBad View Post
    Yeah, well I'm not going to argue with you, it is just my preference because my lights use CR123. So I don't want to carry two types of battery. Also, you can fit 2 CR123s in the space of an AA, so from a space perspective it's really 3200mah compared to 3000mah.

From an engineering point of view a AA battery IS more appropiate for a low current drawing device like the Trijicon SRS. Where the CR123 is better for high current drawing devices such as LED flashlights (they run at 3V instead if 1.5V).

But I just want to carry one stinking battery, and I want to stock up on one battery, so give me something that will work in high performance lights, night vision, and optics.

There are now quite bright LED lights that will accept AA batteries, if that helps your cause any. I understand what you mean. However, as you noted, AA's are not well suited to higher drain applications as well as the CR123's.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottsBad View Post

Most electronic hearing protection uses AA batts (as does a lot of NV).

C4

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Negative on #1. Google energizer L91. it is lithium just like a cr123 so leaking and cold weather are similarly non problematic, it is rated at 3,000mah (compared to 1600mah or so of the best cr123's), and it has a listed shelf life of 15 years. It is superior to the cr123 in every way provided that the voltage is adequate, which for an rds, it is.
    OOPS, this is kind of a duplication, but I didn't finish my thoughts before the computer crapped out, so...

Yeah, I'm not going to argue with you, it is just my preference because my lights use CR123. So I don't want to carry two types of battery. Also, you can fit 2 CR123s in the space of an AA, so from a space perspective it's really 3100 or 3200mah compared to 2900 or 3000mah.

From an engineering point of view a AA battery IS more appropiate for a low current drawing device like the Trijicon SRS. Where the CR123 is better for high current drawing devices such as high performance LED flashlights (they run at 3V instead if 1.5V and are better able to put out amazing current). But you are right there definite advantages for commonality I guess.

So, maybe I'll have to ditch my good lights for inferior lights just so I can go all AA now, and change out my EOTech, for the SRS. Arggg! Oh, good at least I can keep my NF, and the T-1 I just bought. Oh, h3ll I'll probably have to stock three battery types, I refuse to give up my 350 lumen lights.

I hate it when you guys are right...it always costs me money. LOL. Anything else you want to do today to reduce my bank account?

BTW C4 - You are correct I'm just b!tching, so just try to ignore my rants I guess. I will say that I keep Surefire ear plugs for the disaster scenario I'm staying prepared for, not my Peltor Tacticals. I can't see packing them in a bug-out bag. Or am I wrong about that too. ;-)
    Last edited by ScottsBad; 10-17-11 at 12:33.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Just order a couple of L91's, it's not like you need to replace them every year. Good idea, but not mandatory.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    There are now quite bright LED lights that will accept AA batteries, if that helps your cause any. I understand what you mean. However, as you noted, AA's are not well suited to higher drain applications as well as the CR123's.
    Yes, they are getting better, but they are roughly 10 to 15% less bright in AA. And, so for now I'll stick with CR123s for the critical lights. I do own a couple AA tactical lights for use when walking the dog.

This is what I love about this forum, there are a lot of smart people with very strong opinions that can make me think about things diferrently.

But, not on this issue (for now).

Thanks

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Just order a couple of L91's, it's not like you need to replace them every year. Good idea, but not mandatory.
    I was just kdding, but I will order some L91 batts from BatteryJunction and see how hard it is to kill them... Watch out batteries!

Thanks.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    350 lumens on CR123's? Need 500-600+ OTF to really begin taking advantage of the Duracell Ultra's in a 6P.

Page 12 of 37 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast