Page 95 of 210 FirstFirst ... 45859394959697105145195 ... LastLast

Thread: Glock Extractor Issues Gen 4 - Gen 3

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by m4brian View Post
    So...

Is this "THE" fix for Gen 4 Glocks (G19s especially)? I've even read threads where the slide itself seemed to be out of spec.
    I would caution people who are looking for a single part to cure all the woes. There are simply too many variables at play to say that our part "fixes" everything in every situation.

The results our beta testers are reporting point to the fact that we are on the right track, however it is still too soon to say it is a complete cure.

-Randy
    www.apextactical.com

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Magsz View Post
    There is NO downside to the lowering of the port unless you're worried about Competition rules or potential cracks developing under high round counts.
    Well, that and the whole fact that the entire attraction to the Glock for many of us is low cost and no need for fiddle-****ing.

If it reaches the point that I have no choice but to fiddle-****, I may very well start looking back at the semi-custom 1911 market and trying to find the funds, or figuring out what it takes to simply take a Springfield Loaded and make it run (and I bet good money that answer is WAY less than what the 1911 aficionado market, and the 1911 hater market, would have us believe).

I voluntarily change sights, trigger face, slide stop, and magazine release on the Glock now. I have zero interest in it, or the M&P, if I HAVE TO start changing shit. I'm willing to fiddle-**** to some extent to get the devil I have working, but if every single time I buy another one I have no way of predicting what kind of devil I'm getting, I'll go somewhere else.

Christ, I don't even like tinkering with ARs that much anymore.

Unrelated, but perhaps on the broader topic...

I'm curious to hear from the group if there is a consensus on what a new buyer should go for: current production Gen 3 or Gen 4? Or are you equally likely to be screwed either way?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Magsz View Post
    I would say so.

I dont speak for Randy or Apex Tactical but it would seem that a drop in fix would be ideal rather than having to have individual pistols sent in for gunsmithing work.

There is NO downside to the lowering of the port unless you're worried about Competition rules or potential cracks developing under high round counts.
    You would loose the finish on the lowered part of the frame, that might be a downside. Something has to go on there wouldn't it?

Feedback Score
    Yeah, when the Glock starts needing too many "enhancements" to make it fly right....you might as well go to a 1911! LOL

Seriously though, the Glock extractor is drop in...unlike most 1911 parts. Even if I do have the ejection port lowered and refinish the slide...that is TEN TIMES less than I have had to do to get a few older Colt 1911s to fly right all the time.

If you ask me, the absolute worst part of this whole situation has been Glock's way of fixing this problem. They first acted as if there was no problem, then it was your grip or the ammo, then it was replacing the ejector. Their best "fixes" either slowed the problem down or made no difference at all.

A very good reputation was lowered in the eyes of many. In the end...what did this MIM extractor save them? A few pennies per unit?

In hindsight, I know that I would have paid 10-20 bucks more for my G19 to get one with an extractor that worked correctly and was not MIM-ed.

Glock could learn a lot from Apex as to how to address a known problem...couldn't they? Maybe they are just too big to care...I dunno.

I am not expecting the Apex part to totally solve my problem. If it does...great. If I could just get the empties to never hit my face - that alone would be a "win" to me. Don't have to have perfect 6 o'clock ejection, hell, it can send them everywhere...just NOT in my face. If it does that alone I will consider it totally worth it. being "flinchy" while shooting a 9mm pistol is just not conducive to good shooting! LOL

- brickboy240
    Last edited by brickboy240; 07-03-12 at 14:13.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Here's another video from this weekend where I'm shooting a steel ram silhouette at 50 yards. I forgot to mention earlier that all testing this past weekend was minus Apex's plunger spring that I misplaced.

http://youtu.be/_hJp2S0OIs8
    Last edited by G34Shooter; 07-04-12 at 09:38.

Feedback Score
    I've been beta testing one of Randy Lee's new Glock extractors for the past couple of weeks. It's installed in an M series frame 3rd Gen G-19 that has displayed quite a few extraction/ejection issues over its service life, to include multiple reversed inline stovepipes, deep set stovepipes and erratic ejection patterns.

With the supplied EDP spring and the new part, I've now fired 555 rounds through the gun. I've run 75 of those rounds through the 1911 Extractor Test (AKA The Acid Test), which involves a chambered round and no magazine. Very few polymer guns will pass this test and I've not seen any Glock of any generation do so 100%. With the new Apex extractor, this gun passes the test every time. The ammo used has been: Speer 124 GDHP +P, Federal 124 HST +P, Federal 124 Hydra-Shok +P and Federal 124 AE FMJ.

Extraction has been positive and ejection has been to the 4 o'clock in about a two to three feet wide circle. BTW, the ejector is a stock "336" old style ejector.

I'm going to continue testing for at least a few thousand rounds, but this part looks very promising.
    Colt's Manufacturing Company Armorer Instructor

Aimpoint USA ProStaff

www.hardwiredtacticalshooting.com

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Dobbs View Post
    I've been beta testing one of Randy Lee's new Glock extractors for the past couple of weeks. It's installed in an M series frame 3rd Gen G-19 that has displayed quite a few extraction/ejection issues over its service life, to include multiple reversed inline stovepipes, deep set stovepipes and erratic ejection patterns.

With the supplied EDP spring and the new part, I've now fired 555 rounds through the gun. I've run 75 of those rounds through the 1911 Extractor Test (AKA The Acid Test), which involves a chambered round and no magazine. Very few polymer guns will pass this test and I've not seen any Glock of any generation do so 100%. With the new Apex extractor, this gun passes the test every time. The ammo used has been: Speer 124 GDHP +P, Federal 124 HST +P, Federal 124 Hydra-Shok +P and Federal 124 AE FMJ.

Extraction has been positive and ejection has been to the 4 o'clock in about a two to three feet wide circle. BTW, the ejector is a stock "336" old style ejector.

I'm going to continue testing for at least a few thousand rounds, but this part looks very promising.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Dobbs View Post

This does indeed sound promising, My Gen3 ("S")prefix will with the stock extractor,(336 ejector) throws the emptys back at me, or over my right shoulder..I installed a LWD extractor and most of that stopped, I still get hit, but not nearly as often, maybe once or twice within 100rnds. The LWD extractor is, at best a bandaid. I already set money aside for the Apex extractor. What encourgages me most is that they seem to work well with stock ejectors, and seem to work well without lowering the ejection port..I'm hoping they'll be out soon... I love the size of the G19, getting the extractor fixed will make it for me, just about perfect..
    Last edited by ralph; 07-04-12 at 10:08.
    There's a race of men who don't fit in, A race that can't stay still, So, they break the hearts of kith and kin, and roam the world at will..

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    It looks like Apex might make it safe for me to get a Gen4 G19 soon. Great work Mr. Lee!!!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    It "seems" that the Gen 4 issues have been:

- recoil spring setup was not optimized. I believe that all NEW G19s have a new setup
    - some how the ejectors were short: this has been changed in new issue G19s (?)
    - extractors are bad. This seems to NOT be fixed yet.

I suppose if you buy a NEW one, then get an APEX extractor when they are available, you should be GTG?

I do like the grip texture and mag release on the new model. I really wish there were NO finger grooves.

Page 95 of 210 FirstFirst ... 45859394959697105145195 ... LastLast