Thread: Review: Pistol Wear PT-2 Holster for running/exercise

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Review: Pistol Wear PT-2 Holster for running/exercise

I carry whenever I can, so finding a way to carry while I run is very important to me. Aside from the obvious threats of two and four legged beings with ill intent, I don’t like returning home to an empty house unarmed. After reading Slate’s article on carrying while running, I purchased a Pistol Wear PT-2 holster.

I’ve run with the Pistol Wear holster several times now, so I want to share my experience with the forum.

A little about my body type: I'm 6’2”, 210 lbs. My build is relatively athletic, though I've put on about 15 lbs of chunk since my college baseball career ended.

PRODUCT DESCRIPTION

• Pouch-style holster, open at the top
    • Made of neoprene or other like material
    • Wraps around the waist/hips, adjusts with Velcro.
    • Waterproof perspiration barrier to prevent sweat from contacting the pistol
    • NO hard trigger guard – it’s a soft holster
    • Meant to be worn low around the hips, with the top roughly even with the top of one’s shorts
    • Inner rubberized “strips” are meant to keep the pistol from moving around

COMPATIBILITY WITH VARIOUS PISTOLS

Ruger LCP – This pistol fit the pocket fine, but was almost too small. It was a little difficult to keep the LCP in place – it settled to the bottom middle of the pocket.
    Springfield XD9 4” – The XD was just too big for the pocket. This wasn’t unexpected. The PT-2 is marketed for compact semi-autos. I didn’t leave the house with this setup since it was such a poor fit.
    H&K P7 PSP – The pistol fit the holster just right, and didn’t shift around. It did make a rather significant “bulge” in my pants. Decide for yourself whether that’s a feature or a bug

USING THE PT-2

The experience of running with the PT-2 holster was positive. I had to tighten the holster to a fairly snug fit to feel like the pistol was secure against my body. I don’t have a problem with the sensation of a pistol pressing against me, but if you don’t like things tight against your waist/hips, this may not be for you.

The sensation of a secure and stable fit is directly correlated to the size and weight of the pistol. With my LCP, the weight was negligible and there was no “slap” of the gun against my body even when running hard. With the P7, the weight was obviously more noticeable and the holster and pistol seemed to move around a bit more. I wouldn’t describe the sensation as objectionable, but it took a few minutes to make me confident that the holster would stay in place during my run.

I didn’t sweat abnormally underneath the holster. It didn’t make me feel hot or uncomfortable, and once I started running, I didn’t really notice the snug fit.

This soft holster requires that one take special care to avoid getting one’s finger in the trigger guard. Part of the reason I prefer running with my P7 is because of the additional safety afforded by the squeeze-cocking mechanism.

Drawing isn’t much more difficult than with a typical IWB holster, but it is slower. If you’re not disciplined enough to keep your finger off the trigger during the draw, this may not be the holster for you.

I typically run shirtless, wearing shorts, and at night. Concealment was sufficient under those conditions, but I might recommend wearing a shirt for maximum concealment during the day.

AFTER THE WORKOUT

After running a couple of miles and returning home, I found that the holster stayed firmly in place regardless of pistol size and weight. Despite with being relatively soaked with sweat, my pistols were bone-dry and none of my perspiration penetrated the holster’s moisture barrier.

The holster has completely air-dried between my daily runs without any additional coaxing.

CONCLUSIONS

Overall, I give the PT-2 a B+. It’s the best solution I’ve yet encountered for what’s inherently a very challenging task, but it isn't without limitations.

Like:
    • Provides good concealment
    • Supports a respectable-sized pistol
    • Keeps gun hidden and accessible to me
    • Capable of concealing a pistol for someone wearing minimalistic, lightweight workout clothing
    • Cool and breathable – didn’t cause heat buildup

Dislike/Opportunities for Improvement:
    • It’s easy to sweep yourself while putting the gun into the holster, but it can be avoided with proper care
    • Eliminating “slap” against the body would be nice
    • Smaller guns tend to shift around in the pouch, so watch your trigger finger when trying to retrieve it
    Last edited by Traveshamockery; 09-03-11 at 21:56.

Feedback Score
    I've got the same holster and your experiences basically mirror mine.

The only gun I've tried to carry is my Kahr P9 Covert. Initially, just putting the gun in the holster placed the gun very deep and it really wasn't readily accessible. I placed the Kahr in its pocket holster and found that it worked well. The extra barrel of the Cover allows the retention strap to rest just under the tang of the grip. This raises the pistol making the acquisition of a firing grip easier.

My only beef with the holster was at the end of my run when I sprinted. The holster worked great at my 10:00 minute mile pace but it wanted to squirt out when I pushed at the end. I ended up having to stabilize the holster with my non-dominant hand to finish the run.

Overall, the holster is not perfect but does as good a job as can be expected given the problems inherent with carry while being that physically active.
    http://www.dvctargets.com - Promoting realism and excellence in combative shooting.

Feedback Score
    I also have the PT-2 and similar experience. I use a Glock 26 and the size is about right. The concealment isn't as good as I hoped but ok. Stays put and is comfortable. Not perfect but the best I've used so far.

Feedback Score
    You said it's designed for compact semi-autos, but any thoughts on how it would work with a J-frame?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by gsr1911 View Post
    You said it's designed for compact semi-autos, but any thoughts on how it would work with a J-frame?
    It should work fine. There's nothing about the design that makes it incompatible with revolvers. The pocket is plenty large enough.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnut284 View Post
    I also have the PT-2 and similar experience. I use a Glock 26 and the size is about right. The concealment isn't as good as I hoped but ok. Stays put and is comfortable. Not perfect but the best I've used so far.
    Since I'm not a girl, people tend not to leer at my junk as I run, so I haven't been made yet

Feedback Score
    Any updates on the pt holster? Still using it? Holding up ok?
    Philippians 4:13
    Go Gators/Wildcats!!!
    Glock Certified Armorer

Feedback Score
    Any updates?
    Philippians 4:13
    Go Gators/Wildcats!!!
    Glock Certified Armorer

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    How far/long are you running?

I typically wear a UA heat gear shirt under a t-shirt and UA compression shorts under a pair of loose fit UA shorts. On a 16 mile run a belt with a water bottle nearly frayed through the heat gear shirt.

Now granted that was almost two hours of running. Any bounce at all is a problem that only gets magnified the longer you run.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jamaicanj View Post
    Any updates?
    Sorry, it unfortunately got lost in a move awhile back. Haven't yet replaced it.
    This isn't an illegal gun, it's an "undocumented protection device". Don't be so insensitive.