Quote Originally Posted by DemonRat View Post
The .223 round I use for deer in my neck of the woods are Fiocchi Extrema Rifle Hunting they are loaded with a 50 gr V-max and can make a kill shot out to 150 yards. I haven't shot a deer at a longer distance then that with these. I probably wouldn't take a shot if it was farther then that. These are kinda on the lighter side of what you would need for deer hunting. I also use handloaded 55 gr SP SX Hornady with 24.5 grs of AA2230. I hunt Blacktails and they work great for me on them. If your hunting muley's or whitetail I would go with a heavier grain bullet. But this is what works for me. Hope this helps you.
V-MAX are varmint bullets. They fragment far too fast and do not penetrate far enough imo. Glad they've worked for you but I wouldn't use them myself.

Personally the 70 gr Barnes TSX loaded to max 5.56 NATO published by Barnes at 2866 FPS from a 20" barrel is imo, the best hunting round for deer, hogs, and similar sized game. Deep penetration and wonderful expansion in living things.