Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: M16 wood stock

Feedback Score

M16 wood stock

About 15 years ago I was working in a gun shop 20 miles south of Washington, D.C. in Northern Virginia. A guy came in one day with a wood stock and triangle hand guards for an M16. He claimed that some branch of the military was considering using them back in the mid-1960's, but they didn't go for it and he ended up with a set. He was asking $100 for them, and they didn't look like some handmade junk. Anybody ever heard/seen any of these?

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I know brownells has a wood stock set for the m16 style rifle. If you havent done so you could check on there and see if they look the same. Might be a place to start anyway.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    apparently RRA is making or distributing wood furniture... http://www.rockriverarms.com/index.c...ategory_id=393

there's another company that's making much nicer (IMO) wood AR furniture... kind of a retro style like you describe, and i actually really like it on a retro AR... but i can't seem to find the website now. we've had at least two threads on it here on M4C- maybe try searching for 'ar15 wood furniture set'

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Ironwood Designs makes ar furniture too.
    "A 'sporting purpose' is what we use to describe actions taken with a football." -S.W.A.T. Magazine

"...if you are cruising the ghetto looking for crack and tranny hookers and you shoot their transgender pimp for staring at you the wrong way, then yeah, you might have a problem." -Iraqgunz

Feedback Score
    I've seen the ones that have been made lately. I was wondering about a set from the 1960's.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by dolf View Post
    I've seen the ones that have been made lately. I was wondering about a set from the 1960's.
    got a pic? i really dont think there were really any mass produced sets back then- probably just custom, limited examples/prototypes.

as far as the military considering going from synthetic to wood- i'm not an AR historian like some guys on this board, but i highly doubt that was ever a reality.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    AFIK, wood never made an appearance on the AR-15 or the M16 in an official capacity.

The earliest stocks were a type of bakelite.
    Employee of colonialshooting.com

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    I would think it would be HEAVY.
    "Real men have always needed to know what time it is so they are at the airfield on time, pumping rounds into savages at the right time, etc. Being able to see such in the dark while light weights were comfy in bed without using a light required luminous material." -Originally Posted by ramairthree

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dolf View Post
    About 15 years ago I was working in a gun shop 20 miles south of Washington, D.C. in Northern Virginia. A guy came in one day with a wood stock and triangle hand guards for an M16. He claimed that some branch of the military was considering using them back in the mid-1960's, but they didn't go for it and he ended up with a set. He was asking $100 for them, and they didn't look like some handmade junk. Anybody ever heard/seen any of these?
    I have seen photos of an M16 captured from Central American rebels that had a set of very nicely done wood triangle handguards, stock, and pistol grip. IIRC, The stocks did not look like jungle workshop carvings. They looked professional but beat up from use.

I would love to know the origin myself.
    Last edited by Doc Safari; 04-13-11 at 17:17.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by usmcvet View Post
    I wood think it wood be HEAVY.

There. Fixed it for you.

H
    "Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."-Thomas Paine

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast