Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: MP5 vs. MK18 against non-armored targets

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

MP5 vs. MK18 against non-armored targets

Which weapon system would you say best suits the needs of a CQB, clearing type operation against non-armored threats?

I understand the MK18 was developed to essentially replace the MP5 in CQB type situations due to the increasing threat of engaging individuals equipped with body armor, while also maintaining mid-range capabilities, that being said, how would you rank each platform if pitted against each other in a CQB environment against non-armored threats?

The MP5 being more controllable at higher rates of fire, and also being more compact and maneuverable, while the only strong suit I can see for the MK18 is firing hotter rounds, which could potentially lead to over-penetration in (some) circumstances

I mainly pose this question as sort of a home defense/ clearing scenario, which would you rather have and why. Any thoughts?
    Last edited by Reagans Rascals; 10-13-11 at 10:44.
    When you can't make them see the light, make them feel the heat.. - Ronald Reagan

smoke and drink and screw..that's what I was born to do.. - Steel Panther

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Reagans Rascals View Post
    Which weapon system would you say best suits the needs of a CQB, clearing type operation against non-armored threats?

I understand the MK18 was developed to essentially replace the MP5 in CQB type situations due to the increasing threat of engaging individuals equipped with body armor, while also maintaining mid-range capabilities, that being said, how would you rank each platform if pitted against each other in a CQB environment against non-armored threats?

The MP5 being more controllable at higher rates of fire, and also being more compact and maneuverable, while the only strong suit I can see for the MK18 is firing hotter rounds.

I mainly pose this question as sort of a home defense/ clearing scenario, which would you rather have and why. Any thoughts?
    If you have the $15-20K to blow on an MP5, Do it!

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    There's a reason the MP5 is more or less extinct these days. I believe its called a clue. Lets put it this way, the MP5 is essentially a very large handgun.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)

The MP5 being more controllable at higher rates of fire, and also being more compact and maneuverable, while the only strong suit I can see for the MK18 is firing hotter rounds.

The MP5 is basically the king of CQB simply because of the controllability and compactness.

I have a MP5 (Clone) and a MK18 (type) and have run both in shoot houses. The MP5 owns it IMHO.

Where the issue comes up though is that you will NEVER know what kind of threat you will have to deal with so this is why the 5.56 based weapons make more sense.

C4
    Last edited by C4IGrant; 10-13-11 at 10:46.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WS6 View Post
    If you have the $15-20K to blow on an MP5, Do it!
    I understand your point on a civilian side, but I am mainly asking just in general, as if there were no NFA laws and no Demo letters needed, just able to own either or.
    When you can't make them see the light, make them feel the heat.. - Ronald Reagan

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by C4IGrant View Post
    The MP5 is basically the king of CQB simply because of the controllability and compactness.

I have a MP5 (Clone) and a MK18 (type) and have run both in shoot houses. The MP5 owns it IMHO.

Where the issue comes up though is that you will NEVER know what kind of threat you will have to deal with so this is why the 5.56 based weapons make more sense.

C4
    perfectly stated point of view

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    I understand your point on a civilian side, but I am mainly asking just in general, as if there were no NFA laws and no Demo letters needed, just able to own either or.
    I'm moving where you live, then!

Or is this a fantasy type question?
    Last edited by WS6; 10-13-11 at 10:50.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    perfectly stated point of view
    If you ever get a chance to watch Ken Hackathorn run a MP5, it will make your heart stop. Something to witness and will make you want an MP5 in the worst way!

C4

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WS6 View Post
    I'm moving where you live, then!

Or is this a fantasy type question?
    just sort of a hypothetical comparison, as in, is a MK18 type setup really much more superior to an MP5 type on the civilian side, in regards to limited range CQB

Feedback Score
    35 (100%)
    Some one posted am article by Ken Hackathorn here, not too long ago. He said (essentially) what Grant said. I'm on my phone, so linking it is beyond my scope. OP, you would have more of an over-penetration concern with the MP-5 than you would with a Mk18.

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast