Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: No Frills quality 20" A2

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Renegade04 View Post
    There appears, that over the past couple of years, more guys are getting back to basics with the AR platform. There is now more interest in the A1, C7, and A2 platforms. I see more and more guys building the older A2 ARs like the Model 727 carbine and the 20" A2 Government profile rifle. Still, the vast majority want a flat-top receiver. Some, like myself, are building ARs with flat-top receivers, but with detachable carrying handles and leaving them that way. The basic M4 and A4 are becoming very popular now. There are still A2 upper receivers available from Fulton Armory and Del-Ton. The ones most available are the stripped versions for around $99. I do not think that the market saw such a return interest in the A2 platform.
    I've noticed the same trend towards longer rifles in basic configurations. Perhaps its a nostalgia thing, maybe folks are bored with collections of 16" and shorter, or maybe there is some actual needs assessment happening. Most folks aren't rolling in for direct action missions, and are realizing rifles and gear set up for such things aren't practical for their actual everyday uses.

In the spring last year, I put together an "A5" for use with iron sights. It quickly became my favorite rifle, even if slightly heavier than my others.

It has gained a free float rail and an optic since then, and it has become my "go to" for just about everything.

I liked the original configuration so much that I've been putting together a pure iron sight KISS rifle. I've been planning on a slick side flat top, but part of me is really tempted to go with a NoDak Spud slick side A1 upper. This is the Gunstruction mock up.

There really is something immensely satisfying about the longer ARs for me.
    "Man is still the first weapon of war" - Field Marshal Montgomery

The Everyday Marksman

Feedback Score
    Well let's face it... 20" is the most reliable and durable configuration anyway, as there's less worry about being over/under gassed. A 16" carbine is great for home defense and CQB, but free of any constricting environments a 20" rifle has the advantage.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I need a 20" in my life again, this thread did it. Haven't had one in a while because I always think "if I want range I'll just go 20" .308".

Feedback Score
    My next AR will be an A2. I have a carbine and a 20" A4 now, but I carried the A2 in the USMC. Definitely nostalgic for me, plus there is nothing wrong with an A2 with those good iron sights if you know how to use them. Plus, I prefer the bigger carrying handle hole on the A2. The A4 detachable carrying handle is just too constricted to be comfortable to actually stick your hand into comfortably. I follow every thread on A2s that I can find on here. Haha.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 2631orange View Post
    My next AR will be an A2. I have a carbine and a 20" A4 now, but I carried the A2 in the USMC. Definitely nostalgic for me, plus there is nothing wrong with an A2 with those good iron sights if you know how to use them. Plus, I prefer the bigger carrying handle hole on the A2. The A4 detachable carrying handle is just too constricted to be comfortable to actually stick your hand into comfortably. I follow every thread on A2s that I can find on here. Haha.
    I've always wondered how many people actually carry an AR that way. I've seen pictures of soldiers in Vietnam who did it, but I always though as light as the rifle is why not simply hold it by the pistol grip? I guess the military thought the same thing, because like you said the A4 carry handle opening is so narrow that it's not practical to hold that way.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by dsk View Post
    I've always wondered how many people actually carry an AR that way. I've seen pictures of soldiers in Vietnam who did it, but I always though as light as the rifle is why not simply hold it by the pistol grip? I guess the military thought the same thing, because like you said the A4 carry handle opening is so narrow that it's not practical to hold that way.
    We would get punished for carrying it that way or using the sling.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I've seen people say good things about the Windham Weaponry barrels as well and they have the non f fsb. That with an a2 upper receiver and you should be good. If I was doing this again I'd look at this option if it was in stock(I don't think it was at the time) What sucks is that american spirt used to have a2 upper receivers with m4 feed ramps but no longer does. I used one for a 16 inch middy a2 build. Colt did as well but I haven't seen them in stock in a while and last time I asked Grant he said he couldn't get them.

For my 20 inch a2 I went with an ar15sport upper. On here people some people said they were good. It does have a m4 feedramp barrel in a standard upper but it isn't like that will not work, just not ideal. I got the 1/8 twist version as the 1/7 was out of stock.

Stake marks looked fine on the bcg. Don't believe the bolt was hp/mp marked but I'd have to pull the gun out of the safe. It is a range toy so I wasn't as worried about it. If I want to use a 20 inch ar to rely on I'll grab one of my bcm ones. Still the ar15sport upper looks assembled well and was was pretty much dead on out of the box. Haven't had that much time to shoot it but so far so good. Also I asked them to swap the crush washer with a peel washer so I could run my halo or future m4sd2(should be any day now) on it. They did which is always a nice touch(bcm will do this as well).

Might want to just check and see who gets their parts back in stock first.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Lately, I decided to do a 20" of a different flavor. It is an A4, not an A2. I does use a Windham Weaponry upper assembly (the second one I have used for a build in addition to a 20" barrel assembly for my A2 build).

"A Bad Day At The Range Is Better Than A Great Day Working"

USMC Force Recon 1978-1984
    US Air Force Res. 1995-2004 (Air Transportation)
    M16/AR15 shooter since 1978, gun collector and AR builder since 2004

Feedback Score
    I've got a C7 upper and several A1 parts floating around. My dad's SP1 lit a fire.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Renegade04 View Post
    Lately, I decided to do a 20" of a different flavor.

A wood-stocked AR like that looks both awesome and wrong at the same time.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast