Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: AR clone history?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Heavy Metal View Post
    Either Palmetto Arms (not the current one) or SGW (now Olympic).
    According to them, Olympic was started as SGW's AR production arm. I've never laid eyes on one, but they say their original receivers bore both SGW and Olympic logos.

I'm looking for confirmation, but they claim the distinction of being the first commercially available clone rifle and say they manufactured the original Palmetto marked receivers.

Feedback Score
    I've got a lower around here someplace, assembled in the mid-1980s, with the SGW logo on it.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    There's guys on AR15.com who post in the "retro" forum who know all kinds of historical stuff about the AR. They might know.
    Mark recommending ARF. It's a new world!
    "Every step we take towards making the State our Caretaker of our lives, by that much we move toward making the State our Master." Dwight D. Eisenhower

Feedback Score
    I thought Compaq produced the first Clone. Oh wait that was a PC clone!
    US Army 1966-69, VFW Life Member, Retired Geek

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    My uncle has a very early Olympic marked gun. Says he got it late 80's, early 90's. Pre-ban for sure. He SAYS its not a cast receiver gun and that its forged, but I didnt look closely enough at it to tell. He says when he got it they were as good of quality as Colt and hadnt headed downhill yet. I dont know the whole history of Olympic.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    PWA (PAC west arms) may have been one. I was a company Carl Lewis was involved with before start LMT. PWA had ties to Olympic I believe.

I have two of their lowers. One is very old and very low serial number, research I have done show it could be as old as very late 70s.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    The first clones appeared sometime in the 70's.

Essentially at first, they were ALL military contract parts except the lower.
    Last edited by Heavy Metal; 11-23-12 at 23:15.
    My brother saw Deliverance and bought a Bow. I saw Deliverance and bought an AR-15.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I have seen a Rock Island Armory (old school not new age) Sendra Corp AR15 that was purchased in the early 80's, well before 1985.
    I like franks & beans

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    80's isn't early. The first sale of AR-15's was to Malaysia in Dec of 1959. There had to be civilian versions somewhere out there in the 60's and 70's.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    The first Civilian AR was sold by Colt in 1964. The first civilian clone seems to have appeared sometime around the mid-70's.
    My brother saw Deliverance and bought a Bow. I saw Deliverance and bought an AR-15.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast