Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Second thoughts about my 300BLK build

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

2nd thoughts about 300 blk

I have come to the conclusion that it mght have been a mistake to release the 300blk first in subsonic. There seems to be a group of people who can not get beyond the "subsonic". I have Glock 21s that shoot a 230 grain hardball, but I don't equate that round to a 300 blk.
    I am trying to fit a Palmetto upper into my budget this month and am looking for a place in SoCal to buy the ammo and none of it will be 220 grain subsonic, I want something that goes at least twice that fast!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I would absolutely choose the 300 BLK over a 45 suppressed pistol. While the pistol maybe somewhat cheaper and easier to conceal (not really an issue in this circumstance?), the lethality of the supersonic 300 is SOO much higher. I have done some testing with the 130 gr SOST and 110 gr V-max loads and both are without question extremely deadly. They also run 100% in my 300 as well, and have very low recoil.

On the side note of versatility, the 45 suppressed pistol is kinda useless outside plinking and short range work. In contrast, the 300 BLK has superior range and is actually a viable hunting weapon too, if that is a consideration.

Personally I would vastly prefer to use a rifle over a handgun any day. I tend to think of pistols as a sidearm.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mic2377 View Post
    I would absolutely choose the 300 BLK over a 45 suppressed pistol. While the pistol maybe somewhat cheaper and easier to conceal (not really an issue in this circumstance?), the lethality of the supersonic 300 is SOO much higher. I have done some testing with the 130 gr SOST and 110 gr V-max loads and both are without question extremely deadly.

Personally I would vastly prefer to use a rifle over a handgun any day. I tend to think of pistols as a sidearm.
    No argument on lethality.

However, for home defense, I also need to consider over penetration issues (at least in my home, YMMV). Perhaps theres some 300blk rounds that don't over penetrate, but the specs I've seen show pretty awesome penetration.

If I have time to grab a long gun for HD, a 12ga is a pretty good pick....

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I don't think that overpenetration will be too much of a problem with the right bullet - the 110 gr bullets (Speer, Hornady) are basically designed to be an exploding "varmint" bullet at the velocities they would be pushed from a .30-06. At 300 BLK velocities (2300-2400 fps) they expand extremely well but don't quite fragment, so they would probably still exit unless they struck bone. Whether or not this is "over" penetration is your opinion.

There is no question that over-penetration is a problem with the 220 gr subs. In my experience they zip right through 4+ inches of pine with ease and are still carrying LOTS of energy out the other side.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by drrufo View Post
    I have come to the conclusion that it mght have been a mistake to release the 300blk first in subsonic.
    Both ammo types were being worked on at the same time, but the full power ammo just happened to take longer because it used a custom bullet while the subsonic was an existing Sierra bullet. Both ammo types were announced from the beginning.

Feedback Score
    There is no question that over-penetration is a problem with the 220 gr subs. In my experience they zip right through 4+ inches of pine with ease and are still carrying LOTS of energy out the other side.
    http://www.300blktalk.com/forum/view...?f=128&t=65654

If you want less penetration, I would look into 110-115 grain ammo. There are plenty of bullets which will penetrate no more than 45 Auto. And if you really want, Barnes makes 300 BLK RRLP.
    Last edited by rsilvers; 04-28-12 at 15:37.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by shaneinhisroom View Post
    I was planning on building a suppressed SBR in the very near future for home defense exclusively...but I was at a gun shop today and heard this:

"Shooting a suppressed 300BLK has the energy equivalent of shooting a suppressed .45, except with less mobility."

Sure, I can get on target faster, have a bigger magazine and can place shots on target a little quicker at home defense distances...but he has a point, and there's over a $1000 difference between a good canned .45 pistol and a good canned 330BLK rifle. Can someone reassure me?
    With the except of very few gun shops (like ones that are owned by members here, or who actually have *truly* knowledgeable employees--not ones who believe everything they read in Guns and Ammo), I'd ignore just about everything I hear in a gun shop. Way too much stupid in there.
    All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.

-Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    I have done some testing with the 130 gr SOST and 110 gr V-max loads and both are without question extremely deadly.
    I'm sorry but I find this statement to be very vague. Specifically what kind of tests did you do and what resulted in the conclusion that they are "without question extremely deadly?"
    Before you suggest that licensing, background checks, or other restrictions for the 2nd Amendment are reasonable... Apply those same ideas to the 1st and 4th Amendments. Then tell me how reasonable they are.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    My "tests" were not scientific at all. Just shot a bunch of jugs and tried to recover bullets. The 110 V max expands very well and will make it through 2 gallon jugs, but sheds lots of fragments in the process. The SOST basically fragments/sheds its front core and the rear portion continues penetrating, similar to a Nosler Partition but without retaining the expanded front core. It zipped right through 2 jugs and left a round hole in the wood backstop.

I guess I based my "extremely deadly" off the good expansion properties of the bullets. If I was hunting, I would choose the 110 V-max but would avoid any off-angle shots.

I will try and take some pictures next time to post.

Of course this is anecdotal evidence at best. Take it worth a grain of salt.

Feedback Score
    El Cid
    I take it you have zero experience shooting anything but paper? Cause if you had you'd know what a 30 caliber High powered round will do to two legged perps! The 110 Vmax will put BG's down -bet your life on it! The Atlanta Arms 125 gr pink tip ammo would be my second choice for Indoors SD. Next is what I use, 130 gr Speer HP's I wanted something with some barrier penertration just incase.
    All supers no subs for me
    Last edited by GunnutAF; 04-28-12 at 17:53.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast