Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Carbine Vs Middy

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    In my experience, port diameter (or more to the point, proper gas flow) is more important than port location. It's not worth "trading up" to a middy if the middy is over gassed
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    For several years, I was not on board with the mid-length thing. To me, being old school, a carbine had a carbine gas system. Well, about 7 years ago, did my first build with a mid-length gas system barrel. I do not know why it took me so long. Now, that does not mean that I am opposed to carbine gas system barrels. I certainly have my share of ARs with them. I also have my share of ARs with mid-length gas system barrels. The nice thing about these barrels is that they do run a bit smoother. I can still use a standard carbine buffer assembly (tube, spring, and buffer) and still have a smooth shooting AR. I have an 18" barrel with a mid-length gas system coupled with a BCM A5 Intermediate Buffer System and it is super smooth. I also did a build with a 14.5" mid-length barrel and coupled it with a standard carbine buffer assembly. It was so smooth that the first time I shot it, I could not tell that it cycled the next round. Would I trade up from an AR with a carbine gas system barrel to one with a mid-length gas system barrel? Only if I had a spare AR carbine laying around and I have done this. It was not to get a mid-length gas system barrel, but that particular weapon in general.

All in all, I would recommend building or buying an AR with a mid-length gas system barrel. You will immediately feel the difference.
    "A Bad Day At The Range Is Better Than A Great Day Working"

USMC Force Recon 1978-1984
    US Air Force Res. 1995-2004 (Air Transportation)
    M16/AR15 shooter since 1978, gun collector and AR builder since 2004

Feedback Score
    At the end of the day, over gassed is over gassed no matter if it's carbine length or extended to mid length gas systems. There are some gains to be had with some mid length systems, but the proper porting for either combination is required for that system.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Glockster View Post
    BUT, midlengths are more finicky with ammo, preferring full power 5.56, and IMHO the battering of the BCG can be somewhat midigated in a carbine by shooting mostly commercial .223. I don't have hard data to support this, but I believe it to be true. Carbines are also more reliable over a wide range of ammo power levels.
    I never thought of it that way, but makes sense. The longer length means less force. Less force = less wear, but also less room for ammo variables.
    * Just Your Average Jewish Redneck *
    Participant in Year-Long Gun Fighting Training Program
    Competition Shooter in NRA, CMP, IDPA
    Past part-time sales at national firearms retailer, Never came close to breaking even!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Glockster View Post
    Supposedly midlength gas systems batter the BCG's less than carbine gas, to the point that you may get a bolt in a midlength to last thousands of rounds longer than one in a carbine, BUT, midlengths are more finicky with ammo, preferring full power 5.56, and IMHO the battering of the BCG can be somewhat midigated in a carbine by shooting mostly commercial .223. I don't have hard data to support this, but I believe it to be true. Carbines are also more reliable over a wide range of ammo power levels.

Ultimately, I thnk most people prefer a mid simply because it gives the barrel more real estate for rail-mounted accessories. People claim midlengths recoil less than a carbine, but we are talking a soft-shooting AR to begin with and not a twelve-gauge shotgun that you definitely feel when you touch off a round.

So, you pays yer money and you takes yer chances. I prefer carbines because I'm not a "rail" guy and because Colt didn't make a mid when I bought my AR's.
    A properly ported midlength will cycle anything from wolf/ tula in 20f weather to 90f with m193.

As said, proper port > gas "system". If your port is wrong, everything else is a bandaid.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by PattonWasRight View Post
    I never thought of it that way, but makes sense. The longer length means less force. Less force = less wear, but also less room for ammo variables.
    Yet the rifle length is the most forgiving of all.

I like a 16" middy, but I've come to like a 14.5" carbine better
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    It's not just about "perceived" feel, etc.. You also have additional rail length (which could be beneficial) and slightly longer sight radius.

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Feedback Score
    Thanks all, I appreciate the opinions. Except for lights and optics, I've been out of the gear race. Not a gun games guy, but I did put 13" rails on all but one 6920. Kept FSB on all but 2.

Recoil is not a factor, and I would replace bolts at the same intervals even if I was shooting my middays.

With the current legislative climate, I'll probably sell 3 or 4 of my "spec" rifles and get one good middy set up. Sionics looks like the sweet spot right now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    I was going to write this.

Quote Originally Posted by Iraqgunz View Post
    It's not just about "perceived" feel, etc.. You also have additional rail length (which could be beneficial) and slightly longer sight radius.

Feedback Score
    It's easy for me to get lost in all of the technical pieces pertaining to the mid vs carbine conversation.

For me, I just keep it simple. Whatever you buy, buy quality. BCM, Colt, DD, Sionics...... Hard to go wrong with any of these regardless of gas system imho.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast