Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: How to make performance better (DD)/spare parts

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I think alot of the "weight" you feel is the Eotech. That model you have is heavy, I know because I have one. Try the newer XPS 2-0 model or Aimpoint H1 for less weight.
    Last edited by sdacbob; 03-11-12 at 11:46.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Djstorm100 View Post
    Lastly if I have to draw from hoslter. ( pistol) any tips or tricks since I shoot rifle left handed but shoot pistol right? Seems like it may be a little funny/ awarded
    This strikes me as an excellent question for the "Ask Larry Vickers" forum here. If I were you, I'd PM the moderator "Shivan" and ask if he believes it's a good question to put forth.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I'm talking to a guy about training now lol one thing at a time lol
    you're focusing on the wrong "one thing".

You need to take an intro carbine course with a quality instructor. You are asking questions to which you can either find the answers by searching here and reading other threads, or which are irrelevant until you learn how to use the gun and get out and practice what you learn, or both.

Try this guy
    Chris Clifton
    chris@defensiveconceptsnc.com
    Defensive Concepts North Carolina
    Based in North Carolina
    Serving all 50 States
    (704) 269-8369
    www.defensiveconceptsnc.com

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Great first rifle. You are on the right track. Pretty soon you will be spouting off that you built your first AR.

Everything said before has been spot on. Do find quality training, and not at some friend's backyard range. Training in anything (especially if they offer a certificate or some goody to keep layers at bay if you happen to use the weapon in self-defense). I have yet been able to get into a class, but where I live, and my budget, it is extremely hard.

Then there are the Magpul Dynamics videos that can point in the right direction of a lot of things.

As for lights: I am loving the Streamlight TRL series. Very easy to use and can mount on almost anything. They are also very light and will cost about the same as a new Surefire G2 and what ever mount you get for. Plus, the beam, to me, is brighter.

Don't be afraid to get the thing dirty. It isn't to be pretty, unlike those DPMS shooters think of their "gold" standard stuff.

Shoot hard, play hard.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

SPORTS are for Kids!...click*

Feedback Score
    Thanks guys for the help. I moved the ecotech as well. I oiled the gun last night ( exterior) and let it soak and just wiped it excess off. It looks so much richer in color and has a nice shine to it. Used CLP since it prevents rust very well. How do you guys to the small parts of the rail?

Also picked up a sling today. Question is. Mount points. Butt stock vs front of the rail vs under the castle nut vs on the rail right where it means the upper recciever. I have 4 mount points not sure which to use. I figure it is matter of perfence but I'm jut checking.

Lastly if I have to draw from hoslter. ( pistol) any tips or tricks since I shoot rifle left handed but shoot pistol right? Seems like it may be a little funny/ awarded

Thanks again!
    Your definitely in the area of being best off with instruction from a capable instructor (someone who can teach the platform as well as its application and usage and how it concerns and applies to you, not some guy who has experience on how to run it for them-self and only somewhat at that) and experience (actually run it and see what really hangs you up when doing everything right) before moving on. This will help save time and money and help prevent any training scars from being formed.

"How do you guys to the small parts of the rail?"

Have to ask what this question is pertaining to. If its related to lube and protection (hmmm, I think we all know what I really mean) you really don't have to mess around with it for the outside. Lube, oiling, and all that is pretty limited to the working parts under friction with the outside of the rifle not needing it including the receivers and rails.

As for sling set up and transitioning to secondary, train and practice!

Personally I run a VCAS using the QD points on the rail forward of the receiver and at the rear of the receiver. As for transitioning you can drop it center line which will keep access to a sidearm as long as its not in the 12 - 2 o'clock range.
    Last edited by Axcelea; 03-11-12 at 15:52. Reason: Added in reason why experience and training is good at this point.
    Luck is awesome. The more proficient you are at what you do the luckier you seem to be.

Do what you love and love what you do.

Shooter and survivalist by hobby.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Axcelea View Post
    Your definitely in the area of being best off with instruction from a capable instructor (someone who can teach the platform as well as its application and usage and how it concerns and applies to you, not some guy who has experience on how to run it for them-self and only somewhat at that) and experience (actually run it and see what really hangs you up when doing everything right) before moving on. This will help save time and money and help prevent any training scars from being formed.

"How do you guys to the small parts of the rail?"

Have to ask what this question is pertaining to. If its related to lube and protection (hmmm, I think we all know what I really mean) you really don't have to mess around with it for the outside. Lube, oiling, and all that is pretty limited to the working parts under friction with the outside of the rifle not needing it including the receivers and rails.

As for sling set up and transitioning to secondary, train and practice!

Personally I run a VCAS using the QD points on the rail forward of the receiver and at the rear of the receiver. As for transitioning you can drop it center line which will keep access to a sidearm as long as its not in the 12 - 2 o'clock range.
    I meant "how do you get to small parts of the rail, barrel." My dad always taught me to oil the barrel and anything you pretty much touch, unless it is plastic. Due to the oil on your hands.

I have QD point right where the receiver and free float rail meet at and have one at the rear of the receiver at the castle nut.

You were referring to the 12-2 o' clock of the side arm correct?

Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Littlelebowski View Post
    Upgrade the software, not the hardware. Do so by taking a class.

That needs to become a sticky. Immediately.

I know I will be using it a lot - hope you don't mind.
    Per Ardua ad Astra.
    STS - gone but not forgotten.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    My DD V5 received Magpul ACS, Ergo grips, Troy ambi safety, Troy ambi mag release, Magpul BAD lever, flashlight, sling, Troy Battlesights, Aimpoint PRO.

Add whatever accessories you would like, it is fun, it is your rifle and money. Take classes as well, when you feel like it - at that point I believe you would probably be asking about classes and not about performance and spare parts for your rifle.

Last edited by brzusa.1911; 03-11-12 at 23:06.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by brzusa.1911 View Post
    My DD V5 received Magpul ACS, Ergo grips, Troy ambi safety, Troy ambi mag release, Magpul BAD lever, flashlight, and sling.

Add whatever accessories you would like, it is fun, it is your rifle and money. Take classes as well, when you feel like it - at that point I believe you would probably be asking about classes and not about performance and spare parts for your rifle.
    Theres a few things I can't use because I'm left handed shooter.

I'm looking in to Ambi safety and mag release.

I've already upgrade to the hogue grip as I like something a little thicker when running around. Stationary I prefer something skinner. I've always been a bolt guy as this is my first AR different gun for different purpose.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Theres a few things I can't use because I'm left handed shooter.

I'm looking in to Ambi safety and mag release.

I've already upgrade to the hogue grip as I like something a little thicker when running around. Stationary I prefer something skinner. I've always been a bolt guy as this is my first AR different gun for different purpose.
    I am lefty as well, everything on my rifle makes it lefty friendly. Some here don't like the Magpul BAD lever, as a left hand shooter I love it - in a tactical reload I can just tap my right hand on the lever after inserting a magazine. I drop the magazine with my index finger using the ambi mag release, insert a new magazine with right hand and release the bolt with same hand.
    Last edited by brzusa.1911; 03-11-12 at 23:12.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast