Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hard Chroming a Shotty Bore

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Straight Shooter View Post
    Had he asked why, then given the reason for asking, that would be one thing. To ask WHY, like Im an idiot or something- screw that noise. I did not ask for opinions on it, either. And as far as "I dont know what I dont know"... DO YOU? Does anybody? Thats as ignorant as just asking why without an explanation.
    To those of you who simply answered my question- thank you, Ill check those sources.
    Any reason you chose hc vs np or np3??

If you shoot enough, my respose is the same as yours why not. Imho the same reasons apply to hc or other to an ar 15. Some critics say unless you shoot auto dont get crome cause ss is good enough.

Im interested in the responses from those in the know.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 26 Inf View Post
    Straight shooter - if you are going to send them off for HC, it might be a good idea to have any chamber/forcing cone work done before hard chroming. I'm relatively sure the person doing the job would ask those questions before doing the work.
    Absolutely. Thinking of having chamber/cone work. Just lining up options and 'smiths. Really looking into the Vang options.
    The obedient always think of themselves as virtuous rather than the cowards they really are.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by daniel87 View Post
    Any reason you chose hc vs np or np3??

If you shoot enough, my respose is the same as yours why not. Imho the same reasons apply to hc or other to an ar 15. Some critics say unless you shoot auto dont get crome cause ss is good enough.

Im interested in the responses from those in the know.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk
    No, no reason. I was thinking HC because Benelli and other high end guns use it. Im really open to other good options. Me too...Id like to hear the pro/con of em all.
    The obedient always think of themselves as virtuous rather than the cowards they really are.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Straight Shooter View Post
    No, no reason. I was thinking HC because Benelli and other high end guns use it. Im really open to other good options. Me too...Id like to hear the pro/con of em all.
    If you get on shotgun world there are some pretty rigid opinions on both sides of the issue (thread started about choke tubes then morphed on page two):

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/view...99564&start=20

Personally, once the chamber and forcing cone are GTG, I wouldn't spend the money. I have a phletora of Remington shotguns and barrels, as well as several Brownings, which have polished vs. chrome bores. They generally get cleaned once a year with no rusting, etc.

Our high-use range shotguns (primarily 870's) would get a couple thousand rounds a year through them, get lightly cleaned once each range week, and detail cleaned once (at the most twice) a year. Original barrels on all of them unless replaced for a tacticool reason.

Primarily, hard chroming reduces wear and is corrosion resistant. The first duty revolver I purchased was a Model 28 Highway Patrolman. I sent it off and had it hard chromed when I had 'L-tronic Night Sights' installed. Very durable finish. I loaned it to my son for a backup gun when he went on a boar hunt. Things happened and a couple years later when I said 'say, you planning on giving that back?' a frantic search ensued for the revolver. It was in a cardboard box, in his basement. The gun was filthy. At some point the box had got wet and there were two spots of rust on the cylinder. Not bad for a couple years of neglect. BTW it still looks badass.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 26 Inf View Post
    If you get on shotgun world there are some pretty rigid opinions on both sides of the issue (thread started about choke tubes then morphed on page two):

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/view...99564&start=20

Personally, once the chamber and forcing cone are GTG, I wouldn't spend the money. I have a phletora of Remington shotguns and barrels, as well as several Brownings, which have polished vs. chrome bores. They generally get cleaned once a year with no rusting, etc.

Our high-use range shotguns (primarily 870's) would get a couple thousand rounds a year through them, get lightly cleaned once each range week, and detail cleaned once (at the most twice) a year. Original barrels on all of them unless replaced for a tacticool reason.

Primarily, hard chroming reduces wear and is corrosion resistant. The first duty revolver I purchased was a Model 28 Highway Patrolman. I sent it off and had it hard chromed when I had 'L-tronic Night Sights' installed. Very durable finish. I loaned it to my son for a backup gun when he went on a boar hunt. Things happened and a couple years later when I said 'say, you planning on giving that back?' a frantic search ensued for the revolver. It was in a cardboard box, in his basement. The gun was filthy. At some point the box had got wet and there were two spots of rust on the cylinder. Not bad for a couple years of neglect. BTW it still looks badass.
    I certainly appreciate that awesome info. Kinda putting together a SHTF/HD shotty in the planning stages. Looking at all options- I really appreciate the info. and Im glad that Model 28 survived...huge fan of the old S&W revolvers!

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Not seeing any info on it for shotguns, but if possible to do it, one of the various nitride processes would seem ideal from a function stand point.

This

http://www.mahovskysmetalife.com/Met...20Page%202.htm

Wouldn't be internal only, but is a good finish and looks a lot like a stainless Beretta 92 as a point of reference.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Nitride would be a good option as well as HC.
    However, the relatively high heat involved would be a deal breaker if any rib/whatever is silver soldered to the barrel.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I wasn't even thinking of soldered on parts. I wasn't really sure if the comparatively thin barrel metal could handle the heat without issues.

Feedback Score
    What is this barrel, cone thing you all speak and know of?

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Forcing cone; it allows the the hull to open gradually and not deform the shot string/shot.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast