Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Raven Concealment Systems launched their new Perun OWB Glock holsters today

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by specialk View Post
    Just like they did with the Eidolon, it makes sense to launch the product for the largest segment of the market first. Even more so with injection-molded stuff. Glocks are the most common pistol out there, especially for the departments/agencies looking to order a lot of holsters at once. Offering a Shield/TLR-6 holster in the initial launch would have been shortsighted.

Do you by chance own an M&P Shield with a TLR-6?
    LOL.....a couple. But even simply offering the Shield would have been smart.

Glock may be the most common pistol, but so are kydex Glock holsters, and, are there really a bunch of LE agencies needing to buy ton of Glock holsters all of the sudden? Did Safariland fall asleep at the wheel?

And while I think the reversible feature is excellent, most folks wont give a hoot about it, so really, this is just another good Kydex holster. Price point is excellent, but not uncommon.

Small guns are the fastest growing segment today, and the weapon light is quickly catching on with the new gun carrier. The folks buying the Glock43/Shield/PPS/XDs models with lights are an under-served market.

I only have one RCS holster for a G21. I bought it second hand from someone on this forum. Retention isn’t very good and if I place a firearm with loaded mag in it, hold it upside down, the gun falls out. I know...I need to send it in for adjustment. Will do.

So is this new launch a good move by RCS? Maybe. Is it a good holster? I’m sure it is. I simply think they could have targeted a more underserved market segment and possibly expanded their customer base.

You can only sell so many lifetime warranty holsters to your Glock runners...

Just my opinion...from consumer POV...
    Last edited by BuzzinSATX; 12-27-17 at 14:14.

Feedback Score
    I agree that there's a lot of Shields out there that need a good holster, but I'm sure the decision wasn't made lightly. When making injection molds, a company has to maximize their return on the investment.

The Shield is on their list, but probably not for a while. In the meantime, there's still a lot of holster makers out there (including the ones that drove Raven towards new manufacturing methods and business models) that can make a good holster for your particular setup. JM Custom Kydex comes to mind.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BuzzinSATX View Post
    And while I think the reversible feature is excellent, most folks wont give a hoot about it, so really, this is just another good Kydex holster. Price point is excellent, but not uncommon.

Small guns are the fastest growing segment today, and the weapon light is quickly catching on with the new gun carrier. The folks buying the Glock43/Shield/PPS/XDs models with lights are an under-served market.
    I think you hit on a couple solid points here.

1. Ambidexterity is not much of a benefit to most end users. For many of us, the ability quickly switch a holster out to off-hand is a rare-to-nonexistent need. From a business standpoint it's smart since it should cut down manufacturing and stocking costs, but that doesn't translate as well to consumers.

2. The most popular guns pay the rent, but smaller guns and the occasional niche product are what keep people coming back for more. Smaller guns are going to get more popular and someone is going to make money catering to them. Add in new light and laser options and people will find you if you have what they want.

I know at some point there's a question of the aforementioned manufacturing and stocking costs, but I only need so many G19 holsters. It's not like that one guy who's gonna complain that Raven won't support a Caracal with a Glock light in a left hand OWB in foliage green. I'm willing to pay (production rate and wait time) for a quality kydex OWB for a j-frame, or maybe a Vanguard 2 like the one that got teased a few years back and only ended up offered as a contract over-run (not bitter). Who wants my money, and Buzz's money for a Shield/TLR6?
    The advice above is worth exactly what you paid for it.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chameleox View Post
    I think you hit on a couple solid points here.

1. Ambidexterity is not much of a benefit to most end users. For many of us, the ability quickly switch a holster out to off-hand is a rare-to-nonexistent need. From a business standpoint it's smart since it should cut down manufacturing and stocking costs, but that doesn't translate as well to consumers.

2. The most popular guns pay the rent, but smaller guns and the occasional niche product are what keep people coming back for more. Smaller guns are going to get more popular and someone is going to make money catering to them. Add in new light and laser options and people will find you if you have what they want.

I know at some point there's a question of the aforementioned manufacturing and stocking costs, but I only need so many G19 holsters. It's not like that one guy who's gonna complain that Raven won't support a Caracal with a Glock light in a left hand OWB in foliage green. I'm willing to pay (production rate and wait time) for a quality kydex OWB for a j-frame, or maybe a Vanguard 2 like the one that got teased a few years back and only ended up offered as a contract over-run (not bitter). Who wants my money, and Buzz's money for a Shield/TLR6?
    Not having to make a left and right handed version of every holster will significantly cut lead time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    Not having to make a left and right handed version of every holster will significantly cut lead time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    That’s a solid point...and makes good sense for the company.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Chameleox View Post

...Who wants my money, and Buzz's money for a Shield/TLR6?
    I can tell you who DID get my money for the Shield TLR holster (and the G19-TLR6 holster too):

https://onyour6designs.com

Drove down, ordered my holsters, went to lunch with my daughter, drove back a couple hours later, picked up my new holsters.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I'm interested in one of these for G19 but am going to need to see some review photos to get a better idea of how concealable it will be under a jacket.

I have a Gunfighters holster for a Walther PPQ that I like, it rides very tight, but it is so low that I can't conceal it over any normal length coats that I wear.

Feedback Score
    84 (100%)
    What I can say is that the Perun has a smaller footprint and feels more more compact compared to my Phantoms. Adjustable retention is nice and feels lighter than the Phantom.

Rides as tight as my Phantoms with Pancake wings. Dual sweatshields don't really bother me. Biggest plus is the small footprint. Overall, I'm happy considering the price.

Feedback Score
    Alright, I am going to order one of these, once the light bearing versions come out. I need something that isn't a Safariland ALS for my duty G17 with X300U. After re-reading what was posted by RCS to my comment earlier I've read some other reviews I want to give it a solid shake.

So, guys, any word on light bearing for me?
    Reads a lot, posts little.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vandal View Post
    Alright, I am going to order one of these, once the light bearing versions come out. I need something that isn't a Safariland ALS for my duty G17 with X300U. After re-reading what was posted by RCS to my comment earlier I've read some other reviews I want to give it a solid shake.

So, guys, any word on light bearing for me?
    You will probably be waiting awhile. They haven't released light bearing versions of any of the holsters that they have started building over the last couple of years.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast