Page 1 of 70 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: What makes the Knights Armament SR-15 E3 5.56mm rifle such a good rifle?

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

What makes the Knights Armament SR-15 E3 5.56mm rifle such a good rifle?

Hello,

I was just wondering what makes the Knights Armament SR-15 E3 5.56mm rifle such a good rifle? I have seen a lot of instructors from Magpul, professionals and a lot of Special Operations guys carry them. I was just wondering what makes them stand out so much.

Thanks for the taking the time to respond to my post.

Feedback Score
    Rather than rehashing the AR15 design, Knights makes some improvements to the bolt, has a nicer recoil impulse because of the gas system is longer, and the controls are fully ambidextrous.
    Kein Mitleid Für Die Mehrheit
    What Happened to the American dream? It came true. You're looking at it.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    It feels so much like a toy gun.....you absolutely have to feel one in person to understand just how well the gun handles and balances.

Its in the clear top 3 best guns outta the box Ive ever come across...you get soooo many unique and truly game changing features that its a bargin for give or take 2k.

The "Stoner Rifle" roll mark kinda makes me weak in the knees as well
    Last edited by ALCOAR; 07-16-10 at 16:31.

Feedback Score
    You just have to feel one in person to understand just how well the gun handles and balances.
    What can one man do? You never know until you try.

Feedback Score
    Even though I'd shot my LWRCi gun more, I still shot the KAC better.

It just shoots amazing. Runs very well suppressed as well.

(I only have experience with it in 11.5'' SBR form. I had my KAC barrel shortened. It'll be 12.5'' soon after I get a Noveske Crusader barrel.)
    We miss you, AC.
    We miss you, ToddG.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    The first time I held it I knew I just had to buy it. The balance is excellent, light weight and I'm a lefty.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    It is indeed soo well balanced and soo well spec'ed out it has me completely questioning my current S.O.P. of building my own rifles from hand picked parts. Everything you get for the 2k asking price is a bargain.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Short answer: I was very happy with my Noveske till I held a SR15 E3.

It's got me questioning my faith now.

On a side note and sorry for the minor hijack. But what makes the SR15 so light? Is it the combination of URX and a pencil barrel?

Feedback Score
    41 (98%)
    Already mentioned but the gas system length + gas port size makes shooting 556 feel like .223 power ammo, and 223 barely is felt.

For the sum of 2k its actually quite a good deal IF it has what you want on it. $200 stock, $300 trigger, 400-500 dollar rail system, $150 rear sight, etc. If you were to buy a 6920 or other quality gun, and added these parts you would be close to if not more than what an SR15 costs, and still not be as smooth of shooting due to the gas setup. The lower is also ambi, and quite unique. I wish all my lowers were SR15's....

The bolt has rounded lugs which greatly reduces the chance of a sheared bolt lug, and KAC has a 20k round warranty on the bolt.

Some people have had short stroking issues with real weak ammo but KAC enlarged the gas port to accomadate people shooting weak 223 stuff. The gun was designed to shoot M855 (556 pressure) however the vast majority of us have not had issues with weak ammo anyways. I shoot PMC and Hornady Training ammo in mine without a problem.

If you are looking for a gun to do drills with I don't think there is a better gun out there. Its light and snappy like an SBR but due to the light weight rail, and barrel profile it really doesnt feel like you are swinging a 16" gun around. My drill speeds are always quicker with the SR vs. other 16" midlengths. If you add in a Triple Tap or the new BattleComp not only will you have a very quick gun but one that has little to no muzzle rise, and won't shatter your shooting buddies ear drums either.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    It's a very nice rifle, I'd say the biggest strength of the rifle is it comes with everything minus optics, and optics are not something you can just ship with a rifle, everyone has a personal preference.

BUIS (really good ones)
    SOPMOD Stock
    Great rail system
    Vertical grip if that's your thing
    Sling adapters (x2)

The only thing I don't like is the proprietary bolt and barrel (not the function, but the parts availability). Yes, it's a great piece but should you have to replace it, you have to go through KAC, and that's difficult as KAC has a lot of military contracts that get priority over civilian products. THAT SAID! I would not be surprised when people burn out their SR-15 E3, they just buy a whole new upper, because the lowers are in my humble opinion, perfect.

Page 1 of 70 1231151 ... LastLast