Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Magazine seam weld looks crappy ---- need your input

Feedback Score
    6 (88%)

Magazine seam weld looks crappy ---- need your input

Is this an issue, or am I overthinking it:

Of the 24 Brownells Mags I ordered, 22 look like this. They all function and shoot fine, but I'm worried about structural integrity. Issue, or not? **click to enlarge photo**

mag1.jpg

What do you guys think??

EDIT ---

Just chatted with them, this is what I was told:

Me: "What is happening is the front seam is not lying flat.
    At the curved portion of the mag, it doesn't sit flush against the mag body"

Brownell's Rep: "Ok, that is very common right at the bend in the mag body It wont' effect structure at all. What happens is when they're getting plug welded right at that seam, the outer piece of metal shrinks just a hair, and leaves that tiny gap."

That make sense?
    Last edited by XD40Colorado; 04-19-15 at 11:24. Reason: Added photo..oops!

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Some of my Brownells mags have weird stuff like this. But they never fail. If the mag fits in the gun right and runs, forget about it.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Does it function properly?

Feedback Score
    6 (88%)
    Quote Originally Posted by HKGuns View Post
    Does it function properly?
    Locks into magwell and drops free without issue. All 24 passed my "drop" test evals.

Feedback Score
    6 (88%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Some of my Brownells mags have weird stuff like this. But they never fail. If the mag fits in the gun right and runs, forget about it.

Roger that.

Feedback Score
    I just checked several of my Brownells "pre-contract" commercial and current .mil issue magazines (no current commercial though).
    A few of them have this. If the issue ones with this passed Uncle's inspection criteria, I'd not worry.
    Retired USASOC WG-6610-10 smallarms inspector

Feedback Score
    If they work, they work.
    If you want more.....pay a little more....https://www.44mag.com/product/nhmtg_...follower/nhmtg

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Yeah I have bought my fair share of Brownells mags and while they will not win a beauty contest, I have yet to experience an issue with them. Just run the crap out of them, if you do enter a beauty contest hexmags or Magpul will fit the bill. I usually order the BCM aluminum mags when they have the 10 pack for sale.

"It's Dangerous To Go Alone! Take This."

https://www.facebook.com/Blak1508
    Instagram Blak1508

Feedback Score
    I learned a long time ago not to select M16 mags by look alone. The one time I selected a magazine out of a batch of them based solely on cosmetics, was the time I got a bad mag. It was a 1980's Cooper Industries 30 rounder, nice welds and a perfect finish, but it would not feed more than 1 or 2 rounds before it would tie up the gun with a double feed. Found out later it was from a lot that the Government had rejected for being out of spec.

Feedback Score
    6 (88%)
    Agree with above. Thanks for the input, guys
    Just took all 28 outside, fully loaded with m193, and dropped them each from shoulder height, 10 times each. Zero issues, zero visible damage. They should be good to go.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast