Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: 25k jump, no chute

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by LoboTBL View Post
    I'll have to watch again. I didn't see him kill anyone or even try to. Is there a thou shalt not do anything dangerous commandment?
    The law of God is quite broad in it's applications Psalm 119:96 encompassing all of life. The implications of the 6th commandment don't just deal with "murder" but also to "preserving" life. Here is the Westminster larger catechism questions 135 and 136. I subscribe to these teachings. I think they are eminently biblical.

Q. 135. What are the duties required in the sixth commandment?

A. The duties required in the sixth commandment are all careful studies, and lawful endeavors, to preserve the life of ourselves[721] and others[722] by resisting all thoughts and purposes,[723] subduing all passions,[724] and avoiding all occasions,[725] temptations,[726] and practices, which tend to the unjust taking away the life of any;[727] by just defence thereof against violence,[728] patient bearing of the hand of God,[729] quietness of mind,[730] cheerfulness of spirit;[731] a sober use of meat,[732] drink,[733] physic,[734] sleep,[735] labour,[736] and recreations;[737] by charitable thoughts,[738] love,[739] compassion,[740] meekness, gentleness, kindness;[741] peaceable,[742] mild and courteous speeches and behaviour;[743] forbearance, readiness to be reconciled, patient bearing and forgiving of injuries, and requiting good for evil;[744] comforting and succouring the distressed and protecting and defending the innocent.[745]

Q. 136. What are the sins forbidden in the sixth commandment?

A. The sins forbidden in the sixth commandment are, all taking away the life of ourselves,[746] or of others,[747] except in case of public justice,[748] lawful war,[749] or necessary defence;[750] the neglecting or withdrawing the lawful and necessary means of preservation of life;[751] sinful anger,[752] hatred,[753] envy,[754] desire of revenge;[755] all excessive passions,[756] distracting cares;[757] immoderate use of meat, drink,[758] labor,[759] and recreations;[760] provoking words,[761] oppression,[762] quarreling,[763] striking, wounding,[764] and whatsoever else tends to the destruction of the life of any.[765]

So, yes, jumping out of airplanes at 25k feet without a parachute to land in a net violates the 6th.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TomMcC View Post
    The law of God is quite broad in it's applications Psalm 119:96 encompassing all of life. The implications of the 6th commandment don't just deal with "murder" but also to "preserving" life. Here is the Westminster larger catechism questions 135 and 136. I subscribe to these teachings. I think they are eminently biblical.

Q. 135. What are the duties required in the sixth commandment?

A. The duties required in the sixth commandment are all careful studies, and lawful endeavors, to preserve the life of ourselves[721] and others[722] by resisting all thoughts and purposes,[723] subduing all passions,[724] and avoiding all occasions,[725] temptations,[726] and practices, which tend to the unjust taking away the life of any;[727] by just defence thereof against violence,[728] patient bearing of the hand of God,[729] quietness of mind,[730] cheerfulness of spirit;[731] a sober use of meat,[732] drink,[733] physic,[734] sleep,[735] labour,[736] and recreations;[737] by charitable thoughts,[738] love,[739] compassion,[740] meekness, gentleness, kindness;[741] peaceable,[742] mild and courteous speeches and behaviour;[743] forbearance, readiness to be reconciled, patient bearing and forgiving of injuries, and requiting good for evil;[744] comforting and succouring the distressed and protecting and defending the innocent.[745]

Q. 136. What are the sins forbidden in the sixth commandment?

A. The sins forbidden in the sixth commandment are, all taking away the life of ourselves,[746] or of others,[747] except in case of public justice,[748] lawful war,[749] or necessary defence;[750] the neglecting or withdrawing the lawful and necessary means of preservation of life;[751] sinful anger,[752] hatred,[753] envy,[754] desire of revenge;[755] all excessive passions,[756] distracting cares;[757] immoderate use of meat, drink,[758] labor,[759] and recreations;[760] provoking words,[761] oppression,[762] quarreling,[763] striking, wounding,[764] and whatsoever else tends to the destruction of the life of any.[765]

So, yes, jumping out of airplanes at 25k feet without a parachute to land in a net violates the 6th.
    Dude wtf are you talking about. Nobody cares about your American Taliban theology and zealotry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jpmuscle View Post
    Dude wtf are you talking about. Nobody cares about your American Taliban theology and zealotry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Dude, he asked a question or two, and dude I merely answered him as best as I could, fleshed it out a bit, because you know dude, he engaged. So, dude, others didn't think what the guy did was right either. But you know dude, why don't you NOT read what I've said...then you can feel better. Dude.

Feedback Score
    Nevermind
    Last edited by LoboTBL; 06-17-18 at 11:23.
    ~Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.
    Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Thank you.
    If you didn't want an answer from me, you should have not asked. But you did didn't you?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    If you didn't want an answer from me, you should have not asked. But you did didn't you?
    There are many, probably not here, that would consider my answer quite reasonable, but then they might ask me why I would waste my time talking to people that call me Taliban...I wonder myself sometimes.

Feedback Score
    I'll remember not to ask even an obvious rhetorical question in the future.

The obvious answer was there never has been and is not such a commandment.

You had to pull up some obscure interpretation by a group of men attempting to interpret and thus greatly complicate a simple concept and directive.

This is the entire problem with organized religion.

My apologies to the OP and everyone else for the temporary 90 degree detour of this thread.
    ~Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.
    Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I'll remember not to ask even an obvious rhetorical question in the future.

The obvious answer was there never has been and is not such a commandment.

You had to pull up some obscure interpretation by a group of men attempting to interpret and thus greatly complicate a simple concept and directive.

This is the entire problem with organized religion.

My apologies to the OP and everyone else for the temporary 90 degree detour of this thread.
    Don't ask, I don't care.

And the Westminster Confession of Faith is hardly obscure, It's known of by millions of Christians for the last 350 years throughout the world. It's just obscured from your unbelieving mind.

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    I bet you’re a lot of fun at parties.

Man , that was quite the pucker producer, but I would consider it a violation of the 6th Commandment, and it's made worst that he had a wife and child. Some guys seem to be adrenaline junkies.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Outlander Systems View Post
    I bet you’re a lot of fun at parties.

Probably not at your parties.

But back to the original topic. I'm glad the fellow survived, and that his wife still has a husband and his children still have a father.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast