Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Relocating Gas Port

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by outrider627 View Post
    HA!

OP, if you go with a 6920 just stick with the carbine gas. If you want a mid length, buy a quality mid-length. A 16in carbine gas system may not be the optimal system out there, but its been getting the job done for years. I recommend you look into a 6720, lightweight barrel model, because when you start adding stuff to the rifle like optics, light, sling, foregrip, whatever, the weight adds up quickly.
    I'm going to order the 6920 today. This is the first gun I've ordered online. I hope it is an easy process.

As for the 6720, I did check it out but I want the 1/7 twist. I think the 6720 is 1/9(?).

I'm going to try and keep this gun lean as far as accessories.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Based on what you're saying and what I can find online right now I think you may be looking at the CR6720 which does list a 1/9 barrel. What you would want is the AR6720 (maybe also listed as LE6720?) which has a 1/7 barrel, as shown here:

http://colt6720.com/index.php/the-colt-6720
    Steve

Disclaimer: I am employed by Shadow Systems. My posts on this site are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveL View Post
    Based on what you're saying and what I can find online right now I think you may be looking at the CR6720 which does list a 1/9 barrel. What you would want is the AR6720 (maybe also listed as LE6720?) which has a 1/7 barrel, as shown here:

http://colt6720.com/index.php/the-colt-6720
    I was looking at the wrong one. I'm just not digging the pencil barrel....

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by OldState View Post
    I was looking at the wrong one. I'm just not digging the pencil barrel....
    Why not? They are a FANTASTIC choice (might even be the BEST choice).

C4

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by C4IGrant View Post

C4
    Gotta be able to attach that M203...

Feedback Score

C4
    Being that I don't intend to carry this thing all day everyday, I don't see any advantages in a lite barrel.

For years I have been planning on getting an AR and finally have decided to "pull the trigger". That being said, I originally wanted a precision target gun with a heavy barrel. (since I've been into guns I've always agreed with old Townsend Whelen that "only accurate guns are interesting").

Now I've decided on a fighting gun (at least for my 1st AR). I joined a second club that is into the practical shooting disciplines. My old club always had a precision shooting culture (bullseye pistol, NRA High power, CMP - also skeet and trap...the old fashioned stuff)
    I guess that's part of the reason I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around it.
    Last edited by OldState; 02-14-11 at 13:13.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Being that I don't intend to carry this thing all day everyday, I don't see any advantages in a lite barrel.
    Sure, but when you do (or take a carbine training class), you will appreciate it.

For years I have been planning on getting an AR and finally have decided to "pull the trigger". That being said, I originally wanted a precision target gun with a heavy barrel. (since I've been into guns I've always agreed with old Townsend Whelen that "only accurate guns are interesting").
    Now I've decided on a fighting gun (at least for my 1st AR). I joined a second club that is into the practical shooting disciplines. My old club always had a precision shooting culture (bullseye pistol, NRA High power, CMP - also skeet and trap...the old fashioned stuff)
    I guess that's part of the reason I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around it.
    Heavy barrels don't mean that they are more accurate. It just means that the GUN is heavier and thus less likely to move.

C4

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 87GN View Post
    Gotta be able to attach that M203...
    LOL, right. Forgot about that.

C4

Feedback Score
    Sure, but when you do (or take a carbine training class), you will appreciate it.

Heavy barrels don't mean that they are more accurate. It just means that the GUN is heavier and thus less likely to move.

C4
    Understood. And I don't expect a chrome lined non-free floated barrel to be super accurate...but there are also thermal benefits of more mass. Don't you fire a lot of ammo in a carbine class, etc?

I will give it another look. The price of 6920's seems to have gone up over the weekend. To bad the wife gave me the go-ahead Saturday night.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Understood. And I don't expect a chrome lined non-free floated barrel to be super accurate...but there are also thermal benefits of more mass. Don't you fire a lot of ammo in a carbine class, etc?
    Uhm no. Thin barrels cool down faster than thick barrel.

I will give it another look. The price of 6920's seems to have gone up over the weekend. To bad the wife gave me the go-ahead Saturday night.

Watch gun broker as well. They are sometimes dumped on there.

C4

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast