Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Piston Rifles; LWRC or LMT?

Feedback Score

Piston Rifles; LWRC or LMT?

I am considering trying out a piston system AR type rifle for the first time and would like some input as to which company produces a better piston system. I would guess they are similar designs, but I'm sure there are some differences.

I already own an LMT SBR and it is an incredible weapon. I have held one of the LWRC piston rifles, but not fired it or taken it apart to look at how the system is put together.

Thanks in advance.
    Regards,

OH58D
    Maj. USAR (Ret) 160th SOAR, 2/17 CAV
    NRA Life Member
    Black Mesa Ranch. Raising Fine Cattle and Horses in San Miguel County since 1879

Feedback Score
    while i cant speak for an lmt gas piston system, i have never shot one.

but i can speak about my lwrc 6.8 m6a2 srt. i have the 14.7 w/ a p/a flash hider. this gun is top notch. took it out 2 weeks ago to the range. i had some sub moa groups with tactical ssa loads in the barnes tsx 11Og. i love this gun. here are some of the things i love:

1) cold hammer forged barrel
    2) full auto bcg
    3) m4 feedramps machined in to the receiver and ext.
    4) spc II chamber
    5) eats tactical loads like a champ, superior accuracy
    6) reliability, no hiccups
    7) lightweight
    8) not effected by my drool raining down on it as i shoot it.

Feedback Score
    I have almost 5k rounds through my LWRC, M6A2 556 upper, so far. (mostly Wolf)

Only cleaned it a couple times. Runs like a champ, freakishly accurate-never shoots over 1minute.

I am not easily impressed, but I have to say, my LWRC upper/LMT Defender lower combo is my best rifle.

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    There is an interesting "warts and all" Pat Rogers review of the LWRC rifles in this months' SWAT. The folks over on the factory forum seem happy with it.
    Last edited by The Dumb Gun Collector; 02-06-09 at 16:14.
    Let those who are fond of blaming and finding fault, while they sit safely at home, ask, ‘Why did you not do thus and so?’I wish they were on this voyage; I well believe that another voyage of a different kind awaits them.”

Christopher Columbus

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Bell View Post
    There is an interesting "warts and all" Pat Rogers review of the LWRC rifles in this months' SWAT. The folks over on the factory forum seem happy with it.
    Love the review on swat. That gun was run hard! A gun that is run that hard will eventually have a hiccup of some sort. Pat Rogers also addressed the SWAT article in the factory forum.

One thing he did stress on the forum was "At the end of the day, i have not only complete confidence in LWRCI, but strongly recommend their guns. "

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by OH58D View Post
    I already own an LMT SBR and it is an incredible weapon.
    OH58D
    If you already own the MRP CQB version of your LMT SBR, then all you need to do is order/get the piston conversion. It is the barrel and BCG. No other changes necessary. I have had my LMT Piston since this past summer and it is great!!! You won't go wrong with their version. I'm sure that LWRC is nice also....it was the other choice if I hadn't gone with the LMT.
    Last edited by Cohibra45; 02-07-09 at 06:45. Reason: grammer

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    At this point, I haven't shot either one of them. But I do like that LMT has a one-piece carrier. I've heard that LWRC is working on a one-piece carrier also so it may be a moot point in the future.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Both are great weapons. For the LWRC remember in addition to the coming one peice carrier, don't forget the:

-cold hammer forged barrel
    -Upper assembly features a ferritic salt bath nitro carburized interior
    and exterior finish
    -Carriers featuring TeflonNickel plating

These features have made a difference to me.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I have over 7,000-rounds through my LWRC 10.5-inch upper. Some of that is suppressed and over 2,000-rounds of that was in two different Carbine Courses.

The only mechanical failures I've had are:
    - The buffer spring that came with the upper was faulty (Wolff Plus).
    - The extractor started failing to extract.
    - One of the Carrier key screws broke.

LWRC sent me a new buffer spring (which I have since relegated as a backup along with the H2 buffer - I am using an H3 buffer with a flatwire CS spring). The extractor resulted in FTEs and was replaced with no further issues.

I did not even know that the screw was busted until I decided to check the screws and the broken one kept spinning and would not tighten. LWRC shipped me a replacement Carrier overnight at no charge and I have not had any issues since.

I am awaiting the arrival of my Select-fire Transferable AR-15 and I am considering buying another LWRC upper to use on it. YMMV.
    We must not believe the Evil One when he tells us that there is nothing we can do in the face of violence, injustice and sin. - Pope Francis I

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    I know he hasn't responded yet, but I've asked this very question to rob_s.

I found that his advice in this regard was worth serious consideration.

I'll let him speak for himself but he's put a lot of thought into the myriad considerations.
    It is bad policy to fear the resentment of an enemy. -Ethan Allen

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast