Page 18 of 31 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast

Thread: Fireclean with AR15

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Well, I treated 1 M4. It felt pretty crappy compared to Froglube that was on the gun before I removed it with Froglube cleaner**** and acetone before applying the Fireclean, VERY gritty. Meh. Anyway, I just took that same M4 out and cycled it a few times (half a day later). Very very different feel to it, different sound to it, everything. It feels a LOT! slicker, and there is no grater/gritty sound from the buffer spring/tube. All it did was sit in the closet, and I coated the hell out of it initially. It's not like anything migrated to a dry area. Was soaked to begin with. I'm not sure what occurred, but time seems like a legitimate factor in how well the weapon felt. I have not shot it yet, just hand-cycled before putting it away, and hand-cycled again just now. I just went and cycled it again. I remember thinking "Wow, this feels like crap compared to my other rifle with less rounds through it using *Brand X* lubricant". Now, I felt them side by side cycling (all they did was sit in the closet, nothing fouled anything), and I cannot tell a difference between the two. I don't understand it, but it is what it is. After sitting for 12 hours, FireClean feels radically different on the gun. Weird. I want to call bullshit on "conditioning", but it's really hard to after feeling the difference 12 hours can make. I still don't understand it, but I'm holding it, so it is what it is.

**** (horrible stuff, DO NOT BUY THIS. When I got it, I sprayed some and it was nice. In 2 months, it has gone rancid and smells like shit. I mean, it's bad. Think laundry that you forgot in the washer for a week. Fetid musty odor. I felt guilty spraying it in the side even though I live alone. Foul. Sorry, but that's just rancid)

*I am re-evaluating FireClean. Initially, I shied away from it due to poor performance compared to other lubricants when any salt was present, or the metal part was in contact with a wet object. However, in the 100% humidity test I performed, it did very well, and I have not seen people shooting corrosive ammo having any more issues with with than any other product, and it does seem to offer some benefits regarding fouling, and burn-off.
    Last edited by WS6; 10-17-13 at 10:52.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WS6 View Post
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lWG8ZFR7CAc

Looks like they are using the older formula of Rand, regardless, this looks rather impartial to me.
    I completely forgot that I watched that a few weeks ago. I would agree with this being a pretty impartial comparison. Seems like they really concentrate on the ease of cleaning the bolt tail which is certainly beneficial, but I'm really looking to see a Rand CLP treated weapon with some serious rounds cranked through it. They just do two mags each which isn't all that many rounds.

The idea of a CLP like Rand that does not recommend against tossing a regular petrol based lube in the mix if necessary is very appealing. I guess I'll just have to try some and see for myself.

Sounds like you may have compared the two(Rand CLP/Fireclean). What did you think?

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JS-Maine View Post
    I completely forgot that I watched that a few weeks ago. I would agree with this being a pretty impartial comparison. Seems like they really concentrate on the ease of cleaning the bolt tail which is certainly beneficial, but I'm really looking to see a Rand CLP treated weapon with some serious rounds cranked through it. They just do two mags each which isn't all that many rounds.

The idea of a CLP like Rand that does not recommend against tossing a regular petrol based lube in the mix if necessary is very appealing. I guess I'll just have to try some and see for myself.

Sounds like you may have compared the two(Rand CLP/Fireclean). What did you think?
    I have not shot them enough to form an honest opinion, although the Rand is better at low temperatures and corrosion prevention in my "kitchen testing", I have yet to hear of corrosion or frozen weapons from either of them in actual use.

I did just buy an M&P22 pistol and SWR Spectre II suppressor. It's a filthy creature. I have cleaned it and lubed it with FireClean. I want to shoot it until it jams. With Rand CLP, it didn't have any issues in the short amount of time I shot it, but it was getting a bit gritty feeling after only 100 rounds. With the price and filth of .22 ammunition, I think this test might actually work out where I can test a platform to failure.

Feedback Score
    I think Fire Clean might need a cleaner surface to really get in there than what I originally thought.
    My first uses on rifles that had other lubes went basically like stripping it down, scrubbed and wiped down twice with Mpro7 cleaner, hose down with brake cleaner, put on 2 coats of Fire Clean over 2 days. It stayed shiny, so I thought I was fine.
    Later on a extremely dirty suppressed gun, I went OCD, parts washer, ultrasonic cleaner, 99,9% IPA bath, multiple times over 3 days. It took 4 coats over 4 days to maintain the shine.
    After seeing this, I took one of my original Fire Clean coated BCGs and tried the OCD cleaning. It took 4 coats as well, unlike the original 2 coats.
    The only thing I could figure was that my original cleaning probably wasn't thorough enough. Like the pores of the metal really weren't clean.
    I didn't have any problems at that time or since with it. But it's an interesting thing to find.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by tom12.7 View Post
    I think Fire Clean might need a cleaner surface to really get in there than what I originally thought.
    My first uses on rifles that had other lubes went basically like stripping it down, scrubbed and wiped down twice with Mpro7 cleaner, hose down with brake cleaner, put on 2 coats of Fire Clean over 2 days. It stayed shiny, so I thought I was fine.
    Later on a extremely dirty suppressed gun, I went OCD, parts washer, ultrasonic cleaner, 99,9% IPA bath, multiple times over 3 days. It took 4 coats over 4 days to maintain the shine.
    After seeing this, I took one of my original Fire Clean coated BCGs and tried the OCD cleaning. It took 4 coats as well, unlike the original 2 coats.
    The only thing I could figure was that my original cleaning probably wasn't thorough enough. Like the pores of the metal really weren't clean.
    I didn't have any problems at that time or since with it. But it's an interesting thing to find.
    Like I said, I thought "conditioning" was total bullshit, but when my rifle felt completely different, sounded completely different, and didn't smell nearly as much of burn't anodizing when rapidly hand-cycled after just sitting for 12 hours...I'm not so sure. There may be something to it. I cannot argue with tangible results.

Feedback Score
    I don't know if conditioning is BS or not. I'm really just guessing on the reason for the results I had. OCD cleaning did take more coats for sure. I had no issues with applying it the way I did originally, so it maybe overkill? I dunno?

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by tom12.7 View Post
    I don't know if conditioning is BS or not. I'm really just guessing on the reason for the results I had. OCD cleaning did take more coats for sure. I had no issues with applying it the way I did originally, so it maybe overkill? I dunno?
    There are some interesting theories on why this is so, but I'm a knuckle-dragger at heart, not a chemist, so I pretty much only trust what I see unless someone educates me that what I thought was right is not.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    Do you coat the chamber & bore with fireclean? If so, what do you use after the coating to get copper fouling out of the bore?

Feedback Score
    I've tried using it in the chamber and bore without ill effects like some oils do. I'm not convinced yet that it's ok for precision barrels, but that could change, I dunno yet?
    Some combo's get a carbon ring that you'll have to get out for precision, some don't.
    I don't get rid of the copper fouling until groups open up. Some barrels don't tolerate copper fouling switching between different bullets, like SMKs and TSXs, others do.
    That's something most will need to try for themselves.

Feedback Score
    If I've got a cleaned, oiled up gun and want to switch to fireclean, but don't have an ultrasonic cleaner or degreaser, would it be better to wipe it down and try to work fireclean in as soon as possible or fire a few hundred rounds and then clean and lube with fireclean?

Related, my understanding is that fireclean will eventually rid the gun of existing lubricant, so completely drying it out isn't necessary (although most effective). Is that accurate, or do I really need to get a degreaser and completely clean it of existing chemicals?

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Page 18 of 31 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast