Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Functional Featherweight

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Thanks for the kind words, gents. I got my hands on a much better scale and my earlier figure was only slightly off. The carbine comes in at 6 lbs 12.8 oz, which would be 6.8 lbs rather than 6.7.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    Any chance that FSB shaved down like that made it's way to a scale before it got reinstalled?

I'd like to compare the weight of...
    I'm interested in that comparison as well. I'll eagerly await Robb's findings once he does the next one that he mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by matthewdanger View Post
    What sling are you going to run?
    Right now I have a padded VTAC that I made into a 1 pt sling instead of 2 pt by connecting it back to itself. I like how it works but I'm not necessarily settled yet.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    That is pretty amazing. I always weigh with sling in place so this isn't apples:apples, but that puts you 1.2 lbs less than this configuration.
    My reasoning for weighing without the sling is that sling weight is not something my arms really have to bear: that is a weight that my body takes on. I understand that in a role of humping the rifle around, weight is weight, but I look more for weight savings in terms of tired arms.

Still, I've weighed it with the sling attached and it comes out to 7 lbs 3.8 oz

Quote Originally Posted by Drummer View Post
    What is the weight of the EX10 and Vltor mount combined?
    My scale says 3.4 oz with battery included.

Quote Originally Posted by gotm4 View Post
    It looks great. You have nice skills with the Krylon!
    Thanks man, I appreciate that.

A few other things that can shave off some weight since it's a midlength would be to use a JP LMOS carrier which is 6.25oz or a if you got one for really cheap a Colt non-shrouded 1/2 circle carrier which weighs 8.63oz. Either will work with a CAR 3.0oz buffer just fine on a midlength....
    If you did go do the JP LMOS carrier since it doesn't have forward cocking serrations you could remove the forward assist from your upper and fill it with the delrin plug which DPMS sells.
    Very interesting. And you don't think there would be any remote possibility of reliability issues with the LMOS?
    I'll have to consider whether or not I want to retain forward assist functionality. Definitely something for me to think about.

Quote Originally Posted by RojasTKD View Post
    How that flashlight work for you? Run time?
    Here's a very thorough review (not mine) including numerous runtime plots. Short answer is that the EX10 will give you 1.5 hours of runtime before it hits 50% brightness, and up until then the regulation is very good (I.E. full brightness is retained through almost all of those 90 minutes) as you can see in the runtime plots in that review.

It's a multi-level light which can be dialed down for lower light and more runtime, but only if you are using it in click-on click-off mode. If you are in momentary only mode (which I keep it) then it stays at max brightness.

Quote Originally Posted by Heavy Metal View Post
    Speaking as someone who has lost a taper pin, I like the idea of having two. I don't think I would have reduced everything to only one.
    I'll keep an eye on it: thanks for the heads up. I'm no expert so I just put my trust in Robb's hands and let him do his work.

Quote Originally Posted by PlatoCATM View Post
    What colors did you use for that paint job?
    I checked the actual cans for you:

2902 Moss - this was Satin "Outdoor Spaces"
    2423 Satin River Rock - this was the light Fusion
    4291 Khaki (camo line)
    4292 Brown (camo line)
    4293 Olive (camo line)

Feedback Score
    A few other things that can shave off some weight since it's a midlength would be to use a JP LMOS carrier which is 6.25oz or a if you got one for really cheap a Colt non-shrouded 1/2 circle carrier which weighs 8.63oz. Either will work with a CAR 3.0oz buffer just fine on a midlength.
    Great looking build. Hey gotM4- has anyone had any luck with this carrier in a CAR gas system and regular buffer?

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by LonghunterCO View Post
    Great looking build. Hey gotM4- has anyone had any luck with this carrier in a CAR gas system and regular buffer?
    I've not known anyone to use one with a CAR gas system. I have over 20K trouble free rounds on a full gas midlength (low pro VLTOR gas block) with both 16" and 18" barrels. With a CAR buffer and standard rate spring with a midlength it still shoots really soft because of the less moving mass. I do run Wolff +10% mag springs 'just in case' the mags couldn't keep up with the added bolt velocity. Wolff mag springs fit into Magpul and Lancer mags with no issues.

Bryons lightweight inspired me so that's why I'm doing one too. I have a SBR lower right now without a upper on it. It'll be a 14.5" stainless barrel turned down to .575" (maybe even cut it down to 13.8") with a PWS FSC556 comp, probably a Troy Extreme tube or DD 9" Omega, JP LMOS carrier, probably a chopped carry handle SP1 upper I have which needs refinishing anyway and use a Fiberite stock, MOE grip and triggerguard. I might put one of my Dr. Optic sights on it with Magpul MBUS sights.
    Last edited by Robb Jensen; 08-08-09 at 20:56.
    Chief Armorer for Elite Shooting Sports in Manassas VA
    Chief Armorer for Corp Arms (FFL 07-08/SOT 02)

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Red Loc-Tite or Rocksett is your friend....

It was as it came from Colt. Lost it in the service.
    My brother saw Deliverance and bought a Bow. I saw Deliverance and bought an AR-15.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Heavy Metal View Post
    It was as it came from Colt. Lost it in the service.
    If really skeer'd one could thread the hole on the back end of the FSB (where they drill the hole it in for the gas port) and use a set screw Rocksetted in to keep the pin in place and dimple it into the bbl.......just thinkin' out loud.
    Last edited by Robb Jensen; 08-08-09 at 20:59.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    If you want one of those Colt carriers, I have one I'll send you for free, no strings attached. Shoot me a PM if you'd like it.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Byron View Post
    My scale says 3.4 oz with battery included.
    Thanks, that thing's pretty light.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jsebens View Post
    If you want one of those Colt carriers, I have one I'll send you for free, no strings attached. Shoot me a PM if you'd like it.
    I very much appreciate the offer, but it seems that the weight difference between my current carrier and what Robb states for the half-circle is not that much. I'll stick with what is in there for now, and maybe consider the LMOS in the future. That's really nice of you to offer up the Colt though.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    I weighed some stuff:

FSB = 4.9oz
    my ultra low pro shaved FSB = 1.6 oz.
    cut in 1/2 shaved FSB = 0.7oz
    M16 carrier w/key = 9.7oz
    JP LMOS carrier w/key = 6.7oz

I forget the actual weights but interesting enough the one A1 handguard ring was 1/2 the weight of an A2 delta ring.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123