Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Get home bag/ bob related question.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WillBrink View Post
    So, been methodically getting my BOB together. Still loosly following the 72 hour rule. Supposedly stats say if you can survive 72 hours after the event, your chances of survival jump sharply. I'm not sure where those supposed stats come from or someone just decided that seemed a good number in terms of balance between how much stuff most can or will carry vs time after event that forced you to use your BOB.

Another basic goal/guide I have seen regarding a BOB is a max weight to shoot for of 25lbs. Mine is currently dead on 25lbs. I'm guessing that number assumes most people could ruck that weight for an extended period.

What does your BOB weigh? Or do you not care? I was just curious to see what mine weighed and checked it vs shooting for that specific weight and it was 25 lbs.
    Somehow I managed to get mine to 26lbs, however it definitely has too much in it. So, it can be lighter, I just do not know what I am going to remove or procure lighter versions of. The pack itself is light and a good price point so I do not plan on replacing that. I avoid 'stoarge containers' that add weight, use a zip lock or some purpose built ultra light organization bags. I think I am going to take some things out that (in retrospect) aren't essential but might be nice and make a hand carry bag, this way if I need to ditch those items they are already packed up and I can chuck them off the road/trail and cover them up for later.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by VARIABLE9 View Post
    Somehow I managed to get mine to 26lbs, however it definitely has too much in it. So, it can be lighter, I just do not know what I am going to remove or procure lighter versions of. The pack itself is light and a good price point so I do not plan on replacing that. I avoid 'stoarge containers' that add weight, use a zip lock or some purpose built ultra light organization bags. I think I am going to take some things out that (in retrospect) aren't essential but might be nice and make a hand carry bag, this way if I need to ditch those items they are already packed up and I can chuck them off the road/trail and cover them up for later.
    I actually have different sized hand carry bags within the BOB. It's an easy way to organize stuff and allows to go super minimalist if needed.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WillBrink View Post
    I actually have different sized hand carry bags within the BOB. It's an easy way to organize stuff and allows to go super minimalist if needed.
    I hear ya. But (for me) heavier bags inside = more weight and bulk. My interior org is already able to be reconfigured quickly if needed. Its ultra light weight, color coded packing sacks broken out by content (e.g. fire/cooking, tools, hydration, personal care, et cetera). I am more stating there are probably some things I could hand carry (or hand off to a partner) in a medium weight duffle that 'would be nice to have' but may not be 'essential'. Maybe duplicate or excessive quanitites of items, or that Gerber hatchet and Stanley prybar.

Feedback Score
    Gents - Two things. 1. Your "Bag Weight" is invalid if it does not include the water that you will carry. Water weighs... 2. While it is a somewhat useful exercise to contemplate what should or should not go into a bag, until or unless you actually ruck up and go walking for the expected distance and live out of it for the expect time, this is all just theory. About like spending hours on a gun board, but never actually shooting. And for the record - actually being faced with living out of the bag overnight will be a game changer for most - it was for me. Suddenly got interested in ultralightweight hiking stuff. Good thread.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Hmm... I have a Go Bag. LA Police Gear sells them in all the fun colors as their bail out bag. It's their patented one. I used mine for patrol for several years. I am constantly stealing from it/replenishing it. It isn't too big nor too small

In it I usually keep:
    Nalgene of water
    Power bars
    My tablet with Maps where I dont need to be on wifi or cell.
    Pen and rite in rain notepad
    sharpie markers
    Boker Tanto folder
    Glock pistol + 4 mags
    Surefire 6P
    Maglite Mini with Red Filter
    Leatherman Wave
    Small First Aid Kit (not an IFAK but can stop bleeding)
    small link with church key, nail clipper, and P-38
    550 cord
    3 bic lighters and tubular case of matches
    Small towel
    Sanitizer
    Plus space still in it so it is not over stuffed. Handy, innocuous, and not too far out. If I had to walk, as a for instance. 20 miles then I have pretty much all I need.

Just my little set up. It works for me. As in I actually use it and thus far havent found myself wanting yet.

Feedback Score
    6 (88%)
    Quote Originally Posted by just a scout View Post
    The Kifaru woobie is pretty much all I use for camping down to 40*. They are AWESOME, if expensive, but most definitely worth the cost. I need to get two more for kids.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    +1

I bought one when they had a sale going. It was still expensive, but worth it for me. It's really light weight, compresses down a lot, and it's very warm down to mid 30-40*. During summer months I don't even pack a sleeping bag, and I'm a cold sleeper.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Relentless View Post
    Gents - Two things. 1. Your "Bag Weight" is invalid if it does not include the water that you will carry. Water weighs... 2. While it is a somewhat useful exercise to contemplate what should or should not go into a bag, until or unless you actually ruck up and go walking for the expected distance and live out of it for the expect time, this is all just theory. About like spending hours on a gun board, but never actually shooting. And for the record - actually being faced with living out of the bag overnight will be a game changer for most - it was for me. Suddenly got interested in ultralightweight hiking stuff. Good thread.
    Understood. Hence the desire to lighten it as much as possible, for food and H2O weights. I am just measing off the dry, hard equipment. You could measure it either way. I've been backpacking, camping, hiking, (and many other outdoor sports) for 30 years. I worked in the outdoor industry for 10 of those.

Feedback Score
    One thing I added when the light bulb went off for me, similar to needing to overnight it.

Think about how many miles you would need to cover to get home and if your only option was to walk it.

I threw one of those folding scooters in my trunk. 0 energy expended for downhills, and easier than walking flats or uphills.

Another option is a compact folding bike.

If your path home is greatly shortened by staying off roads and walking as the crow flies, then not an option.
    Last edited by PattonWasRight; 04-19-17 at 09:02.
    * Just Your Average Jewish Redneck *
    Participant in Year-Long Gun Fighting Training Program
    Competition Shooter in NRA, CMP, IDPA
    Past part-time sales at national firearms retailer, Never came close to breaking even!

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Relentless View Post
    And that happen due to choice or a legit need for the BOB? Mine includes the H20 (two days worth) followed by multiple ways to clean water. I follow the three rule: three ways to obtain H20 and three ways to get fire, ranging from easy to more difficult.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by PattonWasRight View Post
    One thing I added when the light bulb went off for me, similar to needing to overnight it.

Think about how many miles you would need to cover to get home and if your only option was to walk it.

I threw one of those folding scooters in my trunk. 0 energy expended for downhills, and easier than walking flats or uphills.

Another option is a compact folding bike.

If your path home is greatly shortened by staying off roads and walking as the crow flies, then not an option.
    Probably not a bad idea.

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast