Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on appendix carry for the average CWP holder?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Okay....so you're out at the mall. You are printing and dont know it. Some local youths follow you to the parking lot. You got your honey with you. She is chatting with Nicole on her iPhone and holding her cinammon latte. You are toting all the crap she bought plus her purse. Women call men Jackasses because they see us as packmules.

You have your Vickers tactical Elite G19 RTF, with RMR, minus connector, and 17 topped off rounds of 147gr +P HSTs and one in the chamber.

Then comes the semi-circle and they go for your gun you thought they didn't see.
    You aren't paying attention. You think you are, but you arent. You just wanna go home.

How good is your weapon retention game? How quick can you create distance? What if you get your gun taken or get in a fight over it? Do you know what to do?

A LOT of this is dynamic.

If you get thugged up on by a group, chances are you are going to get hurt or killed no matter what you do. This one on one shit doesn't happen but very rarely.

If they have to take a moment to wonder why their new ripped off gun doesnt work, they are gonna drop it.

There are dirty C3 tricks people do that I will not post on an open forum but these hoods arent going to do remedial action.

Time is life. Action beats reaction each and every time. I dont care if you are like the guy from A Man Called Trinity. If you get ambushed, you are already at a deficit.

Draw and charge should be REFLEXIVE. Like spend 8 hours in front of a mirror over and over until you get it right. If you are afraid of tripping over yourself, then you were going to lose anyways.

I give exception to revolvers but thats different.

No handgun fight is going to be static. You may well have to resort to hand to hand or stabbing someone with a folder.

Cause the greatest damage and violence of reaction possible to reclaim initiative.

But that's the part nobody wants to talk about.

Stand naked in your mirror. Look at yourself. Really LOOK at yourself, and this goes for anybody, if it looks like a 19 year old who is athletic and of adult height and weight could kick your ass then a gun is only a quarter of your battle. Because it wont be one. Think two or three.

And if you dont think you can draw, rack, BANG BANG BANG competently in a second or two, then having a gun is just that. Just having a gun.

If you are banking on that one clean shot....you need to call JP Morgan because you are banking wrong.

Dynamic and reflexive. I have yet to be in a situation where I was at an offensive advantage that didn't involve a goddamn MP5, a few other folks, and catching people (literally) with their pants down.

This is a Red Pill Blue Pill deal. You can dismiss me as a wacko hipster millenial on M4C or you could say "Hmm...maybe there is a bit more to this."

You only get one chance to win and every opportunity to fail.

But, hey....

YMMV
    Last edited by Firefly; 10-27-17 at 21:21.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    ^

&$&£ it. I'm staying home.

Seriously though. When I carry AIWB, I use a hard kydex holster, and I remove the holster (clip on) before Re-Holstering.
    Appendix carry "seems" more secure when I'm in public. It's easier to see if I'm printing, and my arms are better positioned for retention.

Feedback Score
    Aiwb retention = lean over

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MegademiC View Post
    Aiwb retention = lean over
    It's not that easy in real life. Then you are off balance and even more physically vulnerable. Could you win a ground fight if you took someone down with you? Could you break off?

But, I said my piece.

The OP was CCW for average people and honestly if one hasn't considered that you aren't allowed to be "average", then CCW toting may not be for some people.

Trained men get murdered with gun in hand. That should be sobering. A lot of the big names not only discourage Appendix, they also suggest condition 3.

If you get to a point where you have to deploy your weapon then someone thinks you are worth trying or they are simply desperate enough to where fleeing is not an option for them.

I think a lot of the brass tacks are being glossed over but not my problem.

Have fun
    Last edited by Firefly; 10-28-17 at 10:52.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post

If you get to a point where you have to deploy your weapon then someone thinks you are worth trying or they are simply desperate enough to where fleeing is not an option for them.
    That's a good statement in general.

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Stupid people gonna stupid. People have been adding orifices to themselves and others ever since gunpowder was invented. This holster design did not suddenly cause people to eff up when exhibiting poor gun handling skills.

There are pros and cons for everything. Seek quality instruction, use quality gear, and get many, many perfect presentations using a blue gun. If using a Glock (which I do) buy one of Tom Jones' Gadgets. Then carry AIWB if you still choose to.

I run a Keepers Concealment AIWB holster with no issues, with a Glock 17 equipped with a Gadget. Just like any other system, it's a combination of parts that is refined and practiced with. Perform a thousand perfect presentations to gain what John Hearne calls "automaticity".

I don't want to think about the drawstroke, trigger press, or anything else. I want to focus on decision making. AIWB allows me to do this seated in a car, in a movie theater, or in other confined environments.

Your mileage may vary, because you are different.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    It occurs to me that I didnt even address how I carry getting hepped up on like weapon retention and fights and so forth.

Actually on my "me" time, I like a side 3 o' clock IWB just because I am so used to drawing. I have done appendix, belly band, cross draw, and SOB over the years for different reasons but SS brought up a new word and I have so much muscle memory drawing from.there that it is less work, less cognizent thought.

I wont say appendix has no place (it does) just that, like anything, requires perfect practice.

The only thing I really would not do, and have not done, is the ankle holster. I have seen folks chasing hoods and their ankle gun goes clank clank clanking off into a gutter or the middle of the road and some other sap has to play fumble recovery diving for a gun..

Most unpleasantness can be avoided by not going out to places full of people. The internet has made it easier than ever to be a miserly recluse.

But tl;dr I carry IWB 3 o clock. Dont try to mug me. I am too mean to mess with, too poor to rob, and too ugly to be ravished.

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Agreed, an ankle rig works best in very specific situations. All of those seem to center around being seated, especially in a vehicle.

The old Lou Alessi ankle holsters were great for that, particularly with an Airweight J-frame.

But that has always been as a secondary firearm for me.

And I'll raise a glass to all my fellow recluses.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Yeah, eff interacting with un-vetted live humans off duty.

Feedback Score
    I only aiwb carry and have done so since 1993. There is so much derpitude in this thread that it's not even funny.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast