Page 30 of 47 FirstFirst ... 20282930313240 ... LastLast

Thread: New M&P Shield in 9mm & 40S&W

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by NWPilgrim View Post
    Glocks are not considered single action either because they partially cock the striker with trigger pull. A true single action does nothing other than release the hammer or striker.

While the Shield may not be DAO, it certainly is neither a single action. Glock and S&W both refer to their pistols as striker fired. If you have actually pulled a single action trigger like the 1911 or HP and a Shield you would immediately know they are not the same.

Regardless of trivial terminology the Shield has a great trigger for a non-single action pistol, aka striker fired.
    The M&P is a single action pistol. That it doesn't feel like a high quality SA trigger on an HP or 1911 is irrelevant. The 1911 and HP are an entirely different design. The M&P trigger releases the striker, it does not cock it. The mush you feel at the start of the trigger pull is a product of the design, and engineered obfuscation of its status. (See also the SAI XD.)

Ask S&W for a letter of certification that the M&P meets the criteria and definition of DA-anything. They have not, and will not provide it.
    Last edited by ST911; 04-21-12 at 18:17.
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Palmguy View Post
    LSHD, just from a cursory look at the mechanism while I was doing an initial cleaning this afternoon, removing the safety would be more complex than on the standard M&Ps. It may be possible. From what I could tell from looking at it for 10 seconds it functions in the same way that the standard M&P safety does, by blocking rearward movement of the trigger bar. I'm not sure yet if any other components would be affected...the standard M&P safety is fairly independent of everything else. The location that the safety blocks the trigger bar is different from the standard M&P (if I remember the standard M&P like I think I do, I don't have one anymore), it is aft of and below the sear. I'll try to take a picture and put it up in a bit.
    I'm sure there's a better description and proper nomenclature, but the safety lever rotates a bar into the path of the trigger bar, which prevents motion and release of the striker. I didn't get a chance to take picks, but will eventually.
    Last edited by ST911; 04-21-12 at 18:17.
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    Picked mine up a few days ago and finally got to put some rounds through it today... All I can saw is, "wow!" What a great addition to the M&P line up. Zero failures and very accurate. I had a few M&P compacts and really didnt feel like they filled the part for concealed carry. This really fills the void now. This makes the forth M&P pistol I own currently and now I feel complete. I now have an M&P to fill every scenerio. Competition, home defense and now comfortable concealed carry.

Feedback Score
    43 (98%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Skintop911 View Post
    I'm sure there's a better description and proper nomenclature, but the safety lever rotates a bar into the path of the trigger bar, which prevents motion and release of the striker. I didn't get a chance to take picks, but will eventually.
    Correct.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary1911A1 View Post
    I got one on order that should be here next week. Would of had it this week, but my FFL is having trouble with his fax machine. Thaks for the pictures and review. cttbax, let us know how the PT-One Holster works out for you. I'm looking for a better way to carry while working out. Wonder if Apex or someone will make an extended thumb safety for the Shield? Not to big, just more shelf to push it off.

Will do.. weather is shit here today.. Will take it out for a Jog this week though.

Feedback Score
    60 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Skintop911 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Palmguy View Post
    LSHD, just from a cursory look at the mechanism while I was doing an initial cleaning this afternoon, removing the safety would be more complex than on the standard M&Ps. It may be possible. From what I could tell from looking at it for 10 seconds it functions in the same way that the standard M&P safety does, by blocking rearward movement of the trigger bar. I'm not sure yet if any other components would be affected...the standard M&P safety is fairly independent of everything else. The location that the safety blocks the trigger bar is different from the standard M&P (if I remember the standard M&P like I think I do, I don't have one anymore), it is aft of and below the sear. I'll try to take a picture and put it up in a bit.
    Thank gents. I'd like to buy one of these for my wife, Im just not sure I want her fumbling with the safety when she is used to a SW642.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by LowSpeed_HighDrag View Post
    Thank gents. I'd like to buy one of these for my wife, Im just not sure I want her fumbling with the safety when she is used to a SW642.
    G,

I had a very similar concern. I went and bought one yesterday for production, and I can tell you I love the design of the safety.

If your missus has spent any time on a 1911, M&P, or HK with a thumb safety, then it's a piece of cake to disengage it. Just start with that strong hand "thumb high index" and sweep it off when finalizing grip.

I had my wife mess with it and she didn't have a problem at all deactivating the safety. And she has SMALL hands. Real small. Like, we use to laugh and say "You call that a pinky?! That's not a pinky!" when we were younger. Her pinky finger is so small it barely exists...

Anyways, I've also heard the safety can be removed. If nothing else, it's a PITA (at least mine is) to put it back on safe. You have to use a ton of force. It goes off safe very smoothly. This is either a tight pistol, or SW did this for those who want to carry it safety off 100% of the time. I tend to think it's the first one, but I can assure you - daily activity will not activate the safety - should you choose to keep it off safe.

Hope all is well, dude.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    I've had my Shield for about a week. Unfortunately I won't have time to shoot it until Tuesday.

No matter what term you use to describe the fs M&P trigger, the Shield uses the same.

I actually like the safety. It was best described by Skintop when he called it a storage safety. Just like in the early 1990's when a S&W 3913 was my off-duty gun, I'll only use the safety as a storage safety. And even then, only on rare occasions.

I've played with the gun enough that I personally am not concerned about the safety accidently becoming engaged.

Ensuring the safety is off prior to holstering, like performing a chamber check to ensure a round is chambered, is a matter of training and habit. If the gun shoots as well as I expect it to, I'll be buying one for every member of the household.

If you can't get past the safety lever, I might suggest looking else ware, like the PPS.
    Last edited by Beat Trash; 04-22-12 at 13:47.

Feedback Score
    60 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve S. View Post
    G,

Steve,

unfortunately, guns are as foreign to my wife as tampons are to me. I know what a tampon is used for, why it is necessary, and how it is used, but Ive never personally trained to employ one and would feel scared with it in my hands; she feels the same about guns.

She uses the 642 as her bedroom gun, she still isnt comfortable to really do anything but grab it at night if she hears a bump in the house since Im no longer there. Once I get back, I think I'd like to try to get her into some training, and I think this pistol would be a far better option than the heavy and gritty trigger pull of a DAO wheelgun, plus the sights are better, reloads are 100x easier, recoil is more managable, and its better suited for purse carry than a wheelgun is.
    Last edited by LowSpeed_HighDrag; 04-22-12 at 15:02.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    After working drills this morning with my M&P45, I fired 100 rounds through my 9mm Shield. It performed flawlessly and was fun to shoot. For me, the Shield will serve as a back-up. Before doing so, I plan to log many more rounds though it and get the right holster.

Page 30 of 47 FirstFirst ... 20282930313240 ... LastLast