Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 18" BCM rifle upper - range report

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mizer67 View Post
    Larue for the mount, think it's called their LT-104.

Weaver GS Tactical 3-10X40 for the optic (Midway for ~$299). It's a good budget optic, IMO while your saving up for better glass. It passes the box test and the glass is pretty good for the price.

I'd skip the Privi for serious accuracy.
    Did you have to bridge the receiver and rail? I myself have considered that Weaver scope, right now I'm using an old Redfield as a place holder.

As far as the Prvi, I have to admit I was expecting a little better based on Molon's testing of it. It did however shoot better groups than any of the other budget ammo I tested including PMC, American Eagle, and XM-193. So keeping it in perspective, it is a reasonably accurate round and coming in at $0.40/round may be a good balance between the $1/round match ammo and the range fodder.
    “The ruling class doesn’t care about public safety. Having made it very difficult for States and localities to police themselves, having left ordinary citizens with no choice but to protect themselves as best they can, they now try to take our guns away. In fact they blame us and our guns for crime. This is so wrong that it cannot be an honest mistake.” – former U.S. Sen. Malcolm Wallop (R-Wy.)

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobra66 View Post
    Did you have to bridge the receiver and rail? I myself have considered that Weaver scope, right now I'm using an old Redfield as a place holder.

As far as the Prvi, I have to admit I was expecting a little better based on Molon's testing of it. It did however shoot better groups than any of the other budget ammo I tested including PMC, American Eagle, and XM-193. So keeping it in perspective, it is a reasonably accurate round and coming in at $0.40/round may be a good balance between the $1/round match ammo and the range fodder.
    No, no bridging is required. I have a few notches left on the receiver with the A2 stock I'm running before I'd have to worry about it, but even running near NTCH, maybe notch 2 or 3 with a collapsable stock, I think there'd be enough eye relief for most using the LT-104 mount. I actually can't get good eye relief for me, unless I run the mount a little farther back (but I am using the A2) towards the charging handle and have the scope mounted farther back in the rings. I saw your other post, and if you bought the SPR-E, you already have a mount that extends the scope further forward than the LT-104 mount.

As to the Privi, I ran through 500 of the bulk Widener's 75 gr mil spec bullets, which are Privi bullets, when I first bought the 16" BCM SS410 I have. For me, with my driving, I couldn't squeeze better than 1.6" out of them at best, and they averaged around 2" over multiple 10-round groups. That's still better than the any bulk 55 gr FMJ factory loads, but not on par with other options from Hornady, Nosler or especially for me, Sierra.
    Last edited by mizer67; 02-14-11 at 19:20.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Tried some load development for the first time today with this new BCM upper. 10-round groups from 23 grains to 25 grains in .5 grain increments at 100 yards for the COF, onto NRA 50 yard smallbore rifle targets. The results were mostly inconclusive for all but one load, shown below:

Even though the groups size of 1.1" isn't much to write home about, it still shows a lot of promise, as the outliers look to me like shooter error. 69 grain SMKs, 24.0 grains RE-15, LC Brass, Tula SRP and 2.255" OAL. I'm going to try .2 grain increments around this load next.

I also noticed that my POI likes to shift ~1 Mil down and ~2 Mils right once the barrel heats up after 10-20 rounds. The group shown above was rounds 21-30. Rounds 0-20 were centered.

For anyone wondering how it shoots with FMJ ammo, I shot two groups of Montana Gold 55 gr FMJ reloads over 24.7 grains of H335, CCI41s and LC brass, 2.245" OAL. The picture below is the best of the two groups:

This one measures 1.695", the other measured 2". Not too shabby for trying to turn a sow's ear into a silk purse. POA/POI is different from the 69 grain load by 8 mils of elevation, so it's not great for practice, but still not bad for FMJ.
    Last edited by mizer67; 02-19-11 at 12:30.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Here's 24.2 grains RE-15, 69 gr SMK, Lapua brass, 2.255" OAL, Tula SRP. 10-rounds at 100 yards:

Last edited by mizer67; 02-27-11 at 16:20.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    I sure would like to see a pic of this rifle

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ICANHITHIMMAN View Post
    I sure would like to see a pic of this rifle
    Here you go.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Oh thanks for the responce but seing as your thread is about the new barrel thats what realy got my interested in your thread. I was kind of hoping for some pics that showed it.

So I could relate the profile to your rail etc.

Jon

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    My original post is about a complete 18" rifle upper shipped from Bravo.

I'm sure the barrel alone is just fine stripped also.

If I take the rail off at some point in the future, I'll snap some shots of the barrel for you, but it's just a SS410 stainless midweight in the white, you're not going to see much from a photo.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mizer67 View Post
    My original post is about a complete 18" rifle upper shipped from Bravo.

I'm sure the barrel alone is just fine stripped also.

If I take the rail off at some point in the future, I'll snap some shots of the barrel for you, but it's just a SS410 stainless midweight in the white, you're not going to see much from a photo.
    Oh god no I just ment a pic of the whole rifle with the barrel so I can see how it looks.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12