Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ruger drops all 6.8 rifles

Feedback Score

Ruger drops all 6.8 rifles

Ruger has dropped all its 6.8 rifles due to slow sales.

There are two possible causes for the slow sales:

1. 6.8 is not selling in general.
    2. 6.8 sells, but only if you have a certain chamber and twist.

Not sure which one it is - but, I do think they would have sold significantly more if they did an SPC-II chamber and 1/11 twist. It is ok to make a product you want rather than what most customers want, but you have to accept you will sell fewer of them because of it and realize you are in a niche area.
    Last edited by rsilvers; 01-22-12 at 22:30.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Is there any way to find out? I thought the 6.8 had a healthy following. I decided to 6.5 Grendel though, and I hope it doesn't die off.
    "The secret to happiness is freedom, and the secret to freedom is courage." - Thucydides, c. 410 BC

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    It probably didn't help that they never produced any magazines for the Mini 6.8 and their other offering arrived late to the scene.
    I like franks & beans

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by xrayoneone View Post
    It probably didn't help that they never produced any magazines for the Mini 6.8 and their other offering arrived late to the scene.
    Yeah the magazines have always been the weakest link in the venerable 6.8 offering.

Feedback Score
    Don't know too many people rushing out to buy a 3-4 MOA rifle. The mini takes a little work to be as accurate as an AR15, on top of that the AR can be customized much more than the mini.
    I don't know about a bolt action 6.8 either, the action is the same size and weight as a 308 so why buy a bolt 6.8 unless it is for teens getting into hunting and want less recoil.

Feedback Score
    3. Its a Ruger.

no one in my circle owns a Ruger, I bet if you ask around, you'll discover few people buy them, expecially in the AR platform.

Im waiting on the Freedom Group to discontinue the 6.8 to help increase sales on the 300 BLK.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by randolph View Post
    Im waiting on the Freedom Group to discontinue the 6.8 to help increase sales on the 300 BLK.
    +1. It would be an interesting business decision though, cut an established product with higher sales and margins for one with lower sales and margins....

For those who haven't completely bought into RSilvers marketing BS, here is the full story on the state of the 6.8 at Shot... http://68forums.com/forums/showthrea...273#post274273

Feedback Score
    No one is going to discontinue a product that is selling well.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    I don't believe the 6.8 is going anywhere either. I see Remington discontinue models all of the time in various calibers, not across the board in caliber though. I makes sense, if something isn't selling, why devote resources to it? That doesn't mean consumers aren't buying competing products elsewhere though.
    Yes, I like my 6.8, actually my son's and I'm doing a 300 BLK for my daughter. I think we tend to loose track of the fact that these are tools and we should try and use the best tools for certain task if you have the ability to do so.

Yes Mr. Silvers works for AAC/Remington so he will be promoting the 300 BLK. It should be obvious to all that Remington has no interest in the 6.8 and now see an opportunity to get the 300 BLK running. I can understand that you would some comparison to other calibers, just insure the data is correct so people can make an informed decision. Are either calibers do all and all, not by a long shot, but they fill a roll.
    GET IN YOUR BUBBLE!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by randolph View Post
    3. Its a Ruger.

no one in my circle owns a Ruger, I bet if you ask around, you'll discover few people buy them, expecially in the AR platform.

You mean the Freedoom Group sells the 6.8?
    I thought they dropped that ball in 06..recovered by the other team...first down!

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast