Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reloading subsonic .223?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Reloading subsonic .223?

I know this topic has been kicked around many many times, and I have tried the search function before posting, but can't find the data I am looking for.
    A friend of mine just got a suppressor, and he wants me to load him some subsonic ammo, for s's and g's basically..
    He's shooting a 16" RRA with a 1/7" twist. I was thinking of perhaps using the 80 or 90gr. pills to help with the problem of free space in the case?
    Or what about using a very slow burning powder, such as RL-19, RL-22, or even slower? This would fill the case more with powder, but keep velocity low... I've never tried to wrap my brain around this subject, I've always decided that if I needed a truly silent weapon, I'd stick with something in .45 ACP.
    I see the EBR rounds are loaded with Sierra's 63gr. soft point rounds, and EBR calls them "match".. so I assumed they were using the "Gameking" rounds, which are match-grade hunting versions of the Matchking... but then I looked and seen that the Gameking is offered in 65gr., not 63. The 63gr. offering that EBR must be using is the soft point "Varminter", which doesn't even utilize a boat tail and has a very low B.C. I have some cheap 64gr. Winchester Powerpoints I could use for this, as well as some 69gr. Matchkings, 70gr. Barnes TSX's, and 75gr. Hornady A-Max's.
    Anyone got any good subsonic (or even supersonic data thats still well under 2000 fps) loading data? Thanx in advance for any help!
    "A government big enough to give you what you want, is strong enough to take what you have." -T. Jefferson

Feedback Score

SubSonic Loads for .223

While I have never loaded subsonic loads for the AR...I have loaded some reduced loads for a .223 Bolt Gun that I used for a long range squirrel rig.
    I used both .22 Hornet and .221 Remington Fireball data from P.O. Ackleys Handbook for Shooters and Reloaders as a starting point and obtained good results as a result.
    Using a Lake City Casing, a Rem 7 1/2 SRBR Primer 11.0 Gr of Hogdon H110 behind a Sierra 50 Grain Softpoint I obtained very good accuracy in my 700BDL Varminter and even found this load to shoot to the same Point of Impact out to 100 yards as my full power Varmint load.

Ackleys book list .221 Rem Fireball Data for bullets up to 70 grains...He recommends 14.5 Grains of IMR 4227 behind a 70 grain soft point to obtain 2340 FPS.

I personally shot the H110 load alot and even tried it with and without the old Cornmeal filler trick with identical results.

Good Luck and I hope this helps out.
    "Get yourself a Glock, Lose that Nickle plated sissy pistol." Sam Gerard (Tommy Lee Jones)

Ignorance is Defensible, Stupidity is Not!

Feedback Score

subsonic

Hodgdon data pages list sub loads for 55 grain bullets using clays and tightgroup.
    I personally load a lot of sub loads up to 75's. I use those powders as well as acc #9, trail boss and H110. Something along this burn rate works well. PM me if interested and I will send you some of my data.
    Steve

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Thanx for the replies! I think I have some H110 lying around here somewhere... wouldn't that leave a lot of empty case volume? Isn't H110 the powder that Hodgdon costantly warns about not starting with as low of a starting point as other because of this? (Memory is shot)
    "A government big enough to give you what you want, is strong enough to take what you have." -T. Jefferson

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Damascus View Post
    I
    I've always decided that if I needed a truly silent weapon, I'd stick with something in .45 ACP.
    For what it's worth, the .45acp makes a horrible round to silence... generally speaking. The large bore vs. a reasonable Silencer diameter (one you can see around or see the sights on) makes it hard to slow down the escaping gases.

Most 45 silencer shooters with run the can wet to make up for the poor performance dry.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    For what it's worth, the .45acp makes a horrible round to silence... generally speaking. The large bore vs. a reasonable Silencer diameter (one you can see around or see the sights on) makes it hard to slow down the escaping gases.

Most 45 silencer shooters with run the can wet to make up for the poor performance dry.
    Oh, I was not aware of that Looks like when I'm ready for a truly silent weapon it'll be in good ol' 9mm. I've got a HK USP45 Tactical that I always wanted to suppress (has a threaded muzzle)... Perhaps I'll trade it sometime for a USP9

Feedback Score
    Pretty sure that H-110 load listed will be at least twice the speed of sound, Damascus...probably .22 Hornet equivalent.

Here's a thread that lists some subsonic recipes with small amounts of Blue Dot.

http://forums.accuratereloading.com/...43/m/557108576
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not. " _ Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I read your post this AM and was looking for some other load data and came accross these from Accurrate.

It says they were developed for a 223 Rem chamber and are OK in a 5.56 chamber. Rem case and 7.5 primer with Accurrate S-1250 powder. All loads chronographed in a 24" barrel. Subsonic loads will not cycle an AR-15.

IMI 55gr FMJ 3.5gr S 1250, COAL 2.230, 1139 FPS for 13,500 PSI

Hornady 60gr SP 4.2gr S 1250, COAL 2.235, 1111 FPS for 19,100 PSI

Hornady 75gr HPBT 4.5gr S-1250, COAL 2.255, 1052 FPS for 22,100 PSI

Refer to Accuate Powders web site for any questions since I haven't tried these.

Feedback Score
    Wernt there some 100gr. bullets that people used at one point? They had a round nose and i think extreme shock still sells them. If nothing else searching for that bullet may help you find some loads. Ive been wanting to try that one out myself.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gundr View Post
    Hodgdon data pages list sub loads for 55 grain bullets using clays and tightgroup.
    I personally load a lot of sub loads up to 75's. I use those powders as well as acc #9, trail boss and H110. Something along this burn rate works well. PM me if interested and I will send you some of my data.
    Steve
    Trail Boss powder??? I have several containers here that I use for in for .45 Colt with good results when competing in Cowboy Action Shooting. It's a great capacity filling powder and with reduced loads it might be good in my .223 Rem as well.

I would be very interested in your load data too. Thanks Red.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast