Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Max range for 10" AR?

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by wild_wild_wes View Post
    What is the maximum range an AR with a 10" barrel is usable to? Is an 11.5" barrel substancially more capable?
    Depends 100% on the ammo used.

If you select a bonded or TSX load, you can greatly extend the range of a 10" barreled AR.

C4

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by C4IGrant View Post

If you select a bonded or TSX load, you can greatly extend the range of a 10" barreled AR.

C4
    So with that being said, at what ranges can you typically still expect reliable expansion with a load like those mentioned above from a 10" barrel?

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RD62 View Post
    So with that being said, at what ranges can you typically still expect reliable expansion with a load like those mentioned above from a 10" barrel?
    From what I understand, 100-120yds. So nearly double that of normal ammo.

I am willing to bet though that you could still get some expansion out to 150-180yds.

C4

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    That made my day!

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    We talking mini sniper rifles here.....

I'll add my 2cents on a cpl. of points:

The kit that surrounds the 10" barrel will be critical to seeing how far it can accurately reach out to.....i.e. magnified optic, 2stage trigger, bipod, etc.

My hit ratio at 600yds with 75gr. HPBTs using a 10.5" barrel: 90% +

My hit ratio at 773yds with 77gr. SMK (MK262) using a 10.5" barrel: 68%

I would say somewhere between 600-650yds is the max effective distance for a 10"-10.5" barreled AR...now obviously this is just for being able to consistently and accurately hit torso sized targets, not what the terminal effects will be once they land.

As F2S noted....a 77gr. SMK to the torso @ 600yds is still gonna sting.

Being a big TSX fan, I crunched some numbers based on my 10.5" MV using Barnes 55gr. TSX, and found that you could still get plenty of expansion in the 200-300yd range as noted by the ballistic chart below.

1800fps is the threshold for reliable expansion with TSXs IIrc.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Crap, I need a 10" CQB upper now
    "Bones Heal, Chics Dig Scars, Pain Goes Away"

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    TRIDENT, on your 10.5, are you using a standard chrome lined bore or is it a stainless barrel? Outstanding shooting by the way

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    I've shot 10.3" guns out to 600 meters, and achieved far more hits than misses, and stuffing a 77gr bullet through someone's torso at any velocity is not a way to ensure a long a prosperous life..

That sums it up vert well. Although I'm not sure I could shoot that well. 200 yards is plenty for me. I would need a 1-4 for more than that.

F2S what optics were you using?
    "Real men have always needed to know what time it is so they are at the airfield on time, pumping rounds into savages at the right time, etc. Being able to see such in the dark while light weights were comfy in bed without using a light required luminous material." -Originally Posted by ramairthree

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    I asked the LAV about this some time back and I believe that his response was with good ammo, realistically one could use it out to 200M.

That is the distance one can expect it to perform effectively. We all know through the testing that Trident82, myself, markm and others have done that you can in fact hit at ranges much further.

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by C4IGrant View Post
    C4
    100% on ammo, and not barrel type, as in uber-grade SS vs. chrome-lined?
    "The secret to happiness is freedom, and the secret to freedom is courage." - Thucydides, c. 410 BC

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast