Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Toxic Drinking Water ...

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Toxic Drinking Water ...

USA Today not exactly known for it's objective reporting nor is it a peer reviewed publication, but still worth noting. It's cheap (ish) and easy to filter your water, so why not do it? They estimate some 4 million people being exposed to tainted water...See also my short non scientific write up on the topic "What's in your water?" below:

"USA TODAY Network journalists spent 2016 reviewing millions of records from the Environmental Protection Agency and all 50 states, visiting small communities across the country and interviewing more than 120 people stuck using untested or lead-tainted tap water."

Cont:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2...ater/94071732/

What’s In Your Water?

I have always been conscious of the potential impurities in drinking water. My town sends out a yearly report on water quality, and has always been well below EPA limits on the chemicals they test for. Regardless, I have always used a water filter to filter my drinking water:

Cont:

http://www.brinkzone.com/general-fit...in-your-water/
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    27 (100%)
    Read the article and good info, do you have any suggestions for good filtration units, ones that remove chemicals too?

I looked around awhile back and was a little turned off by the prepper gimmicks/price.

I am sure there are some good units for a good value I just need to know what brands are legit.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin P View Post
    Read the article and good info, do you have any suggestions for good filtration units, ones that remove chemicals too?

I looked around awhile back and was a little turned off by the prepper gimmicks/price.

I am sure there are some good units for a good value I just need to know what brands are legit.
    What I use is linked at second link in the page where i discuss my own albeit unscientific experiences with water quality issues.
    - Will

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    This happened in my area in may/June. So.e townships were told to stop using public water altogether and had bottled water delivered. My township isn't named but it's in the same area. Where that photo was taken is about 5 miles from me. Since then I've just been buying bottled water

https://www.google.com/amp/www.phill...ndroid-verizon

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Will what are your thoughts on flouride in municipal water? And the premise of drinking distilled water versus spring water or home filtered water? TIA

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by VARIABLE9 View Post
    Will what are your thoughts on flouride in municipal water?
    I read conflicting things and have not put enough research time into the topic to form a position on the topic to comment at this time.

And the premise of drinking distilled water versus spring water or home filtered water? TIA
    Problem with this topic is 99% of it is pseudo science BS where there's little to zero legit data to support it. Distilled water does have the minerals removed and may have a lower PH. My personal preference at this time, until there's solid data that changes that position, is to filter the water through a quality filter (linked above) which should remove, or greatly reduce, impurities we wish to avoid, without major loss of constituents we do want.

Be advised, I'm not an expert on water quality, but that's my current approach, which (in my view) is balanced and warranted.

Running drinking water through a quality multi stage filter is just added risk reduction to exposure to chems, etc that could get into the water and harms nothing. Looking for magic water and such, a waste of energy in my view

There's now a huge market for magic PH adjusted water, etc, etc.
    - Will

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Will what are your thoughts on flouride in municipal water? And the premise of drinking distilled water versus spring water or home filtered water? TIA
    The Fluoride requirements are under the EPA primary drinking water standard meaning that fluoride must be within the given range listed in the manual and not over the MCL or maximum contaminate limit. Those who exceed the MCL are punished by paying $$$ to big government. Fluoride is added to your water to keep your teeth from getting mottled.

There are a lot of chemicals that exist in our water from industry, farming, etc and fluoride helps to mitigate the effects of those. I think I'd be more worried about the things that would exist in our water if we didn't use things like fluoride.

Here's a link to the drinking water standard so you can see what is regulated under the code.

https://www.epa.gov/ground-water-and...r-contaminants

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by lahunter57 View Post
    The Fluoride requirements are under the EPA primary drinking water standard meaning that fluoride must be within the given range listed in the manual and not over the MCL or maximum contaminate limit. Those who exceed the MCL are punished by paying $$$ to big government. Fluoride is added to your water to keep your teeth from getting mottled.

There are a lot of chemicals that exist in our water from industry, farming, etc and fluoride helps to mitigate the effects of those. I think I'd be more worried about the things that would exist in our water if we didn't use things like fluoride.

Here's a link to the drinking water standard so you can see what is regulated under the code.

https://www.epa.gov/ground-water-and...r-contaminants
    I assume he's asking due to the ongoing controversy over fluoride:

"Those on the opposite side say that it is unethical form of mass-medication, without each individual's consent or knowledge. By putting fluoride in drinking water, the dosage cannot be controlled, since some people — like laborers and people with kidney problems — drink much more water than others. People opposed to fluoridation also argue that since fluoride-rich toothpaste is available, fluoride needn't be added to water. The first fluoridated toothpaste, Crest, was introduced in 1955.

Fluoride opponents, such as the Fluoride Action Network, cite studies showing that high levels of fluoride have been linked to a number of negative health effects like bone fractures, thyroid disorders and impaired brain development and function.

One study published in the fall of 2012 in the journal Environmental Health Perspectives found a link between high fluoride levels found naturally in drinking water in China and elsewhere in the world, and lower IQs in children. The paper looked at the results of 27 different studies, 26 of which found a link between high-fluoride drinking water and lower IQ. The average IQ difference between high and low fluoride areas was 7 points, the study found
    ."

Cont:

http://www.livescience.com/37123-fluoridation.html
    - Will

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WillBrink View Post
    I assume he's asking due to the ongoing controversy over fluoride:

"Those on the opposite side say that it is unethical form of mass-medication, without each individual's consent or knowledge. By putting fluoride in drinking water, the dosage cannot be controlled, since some people — like laborers and people with kidney problems — drink much more water than others. People opposed to fluoridation also argue that since fluoride-rich toothpaste is available, fluoride needn't be added to water. The first fluoridated toothpaste, Crest, was introduced in 1955.

Fluoride opponents, such as the Fluoride Action Network, cite studies showing that high levels of fluoride have been linked to a number of negative health effects like bone fractures, thyroid disorders and impaired brain development and function.

One study published in the fall of 2012 in the journal Environmental Health Perspectives found a link between high fluoride levels found naturally in drinking water in China and elsewhere in the world, and lower IQs in children. The paper looked at the results of 27 different studies, 26 of which found a link between high-fluoride drinking water and lower IQ. The average IQ difference between high and low fluoride areas was 7 points, the study found
    ."

Cont:

http://www.livescience.com/37123-fluoridation.html
    Those are definitely valid points. I suppose I don't have enough information outside of what they taught me in my water treatment course to formulate a strong case either way. I just know what it does to the water and that it's regulated under the EPA requirements.

I wonder what fluoride levels are found in China and other less developed areas as compared to ours.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    81 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by lahunter57 View Post
    Those are definitely valid points. I suppose I don't have enough information outside of what they taught me in my water treatment course to formulate a strong case either way. I just know what it does to the water and that it's regulated under the EPA requirements.

I wonder what fluoride levels are found in China and other less developed areas as compared to ours.
    Another guy in the business....

We don't add fluoride here. There is natural fluoride in our water and I would assume most do as well in ground water. Surface water not sure.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast