Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Traded my 30-06 for a Ruger Scout...now help me get it going.

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)

Traded my 30-06 for a Ruger Scout...now help me get it going.

Hey guys,

I picked up a blued 16 inch Ruger gun site. I took it to the range and was able to hit the 12 inch gong on the 200 yard range with the irons as is. Very handy little gun with a much better than expected trigger. The action is pretty lame, but perfectly workable.

I ordered a Leupold VXR patrol and an XS rail. I really hate to lose the factory rear, but I don't want to limit myself to the old standard scout scope which is fine, but I think the fire dot and reticle will be better.

Anybody have any idea....

1. what QR rings would be best for this setup? Will low work?
    2. Is there a lighter synthetic stock available. I actually like the feel and balance of the rifle so I will keep the wood unless there is a lighter option.
    3. Are the synthetic mags gtg or junk?
    4. I have a Surefire Socom supressor en route. Has anyone ever used the Surefire flash hider on this model? Any issues?
    Let those who are fond of blaming and finding fault, while they sit safely at home, ask, ‘Why did you not do thus and so?’I wish they were on this voyage; I well believe that another voyage of a different kind awaits them.”

Christopher Columbus

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Feedback Score
    The XS rail should come with a rear adjustable peep sight. So you don't lose the irons.
    I use the Warne 1" QD low rings
    Not sure about a lighter stock. ( I like the factory laminate wood)
    The polymer mags are gtg. I think they are better than the metal ones, easier to load & 1/2 the price. ( I have 4 of them)
    Can't comment on the Surefire but it does have standard .308 threads so that shouldn't be a problem switching it out.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Warne and Leupold QRW are the two I would choose from.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Greg, Evan over on Hill People Gear has a thread of his GSR with the MC stock. He also has done simple things to reduce weight and length like the LOP and removal of the FH and added a thread protector. I do not like a "scout" scope, mine is set up with the XS rail and I currently have a Leupold Rifleman on mine with the Warne rings. The thing I need to upgrade is the quick release rings and maybe the scope one day. My scope is the traditional rear mount, just clears the rear sight.

I was thinking of either going to a MC stock and having flush cups added in or doing that on the current one. Also as for a white light, use the Larue offset with Surefire mini Scout and it's at the 11 or so position on the XS rail, pretty slick.
    Of course, my favorite is the one with the H1 on Larue low mount!

Mark

http://hillpeoplegear.com/Forum/tabi...s/Default.aspx
    GET IN YOUR BUBBLE!

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    Hey, I just put the XS Rail on mine and put a Leopold VXR patrol on it. There really isn't enough eye-relief to keep the rear sight aperture in the rail--which kind of makes the XS Rail pointless. It looks like I will need to go to medium rings.
    Let those who are fond of blaming and finding fault, while they sit safely at home, ask, ‘Why did you not do thus and so?’I wish they were on this voyage; I well believe that another voyage of a different kind awaits them.”

Christopher Columbus

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Yes, my scope is over the rear sight, it'll work and you will be happy
    GET IN YOUR BUBBLE!

Feedback Score
    As far as the plastic mags, my 3rd and 5rd have been great. The 10rd hasn't caused me any problems but has a very light spring. Other people have reported problems with them feeding. I heard the mag may have been upgraded since they first came out, but I have been able to confirm it.

I use Alpha mags for 10rd mag ( http://www.alphaindmfg.com/store/ind...&product_id=50 )

It is much more compact than the Ruger metal mag and well made. However, Alpha use to list a GSR mag, but it isn't on their site now. Before the GSR mag came out, I used their Type 1 with minor mods (removed a little from the back so the mag could latch. may be they made the type 1 compatible with the GSR.

I usually run around with the 3rd plastic mag in the rifle and carry the Alpha mags as backup.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    After reading some of these threads with interest, I finally took the plunge and decided to get a Ruger GSR as well. Tried mine out at the range today, iron sights only, and was extremely impressed. Right out of the box, shooting cheap Prvi Partisan ammo, it was shooting like a laser without any sight adjustments. And love the trigger, amazing on a Ruger. I fully expected vertical stringing after 5 or 10 rounds and a hot barrel--that didn't happen. It kept a consistent POI. This is a great little rifle.

Some things I'm interested in now:
    * Optics. Anyone tried running a red dot on these? Any positive experience with a scout scope like the Burris 2x7?
    * Comp. I noticed in another thread Rob Jensen was running a Battle Comp compensator on his. Anyone think a better comp is worth running on these?
    * Mags. I tried my AI mags, they fed well though hard to get them to seat properly when inserting. Plan to order some of the 5rd and 10rd polymer mags.
    * Slings. Recommendations on good sling options?

Feedback Score
    I ran an H-1 on the GSR for a while. However, I needed the Aimpoint on another rifle and decided to try scout scope concept. I like the Aimpoint better for where I am hunt - rolling hills & thick woods. You can rarely see beyond 200 yds and usually less than 100 yds.

This photo has the Alpha mag that I mentioned above and an A2 FS. The Aimpoint is on lowest LaRue mount that they make.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast