Thread: List of quality USGI Mag Makers

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    H&K

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Slater View Post
    Uncle Sam seems to like Brownell's for USGI mags:
    I've had good luck with Brownells USGI mags. But I've had some FUNKY mag bodies. Really wide at the bottom to where the Base Plate would slide side to side a lot!!

I'm wondering if Brownells bodies aren't still made by those imbeciles at Cprod.... I asked the question on Barf, and I think it got me BANNED again. Never bite the hand that feeds the Avilas I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Skyyr View Post
    H&K
    I hope you're joking.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I started researching on the web and digging through my mags to see if I can tell who made which ones after I read "The Katars" post of "Colt, NHMTG, and Okay are all the same manufacturer and are true USGI spec made to the TDP."

I'm probably the last person on earth to realize that in the last 25 years or so, USGI stuff had the manufacturers ID put on stuff and that is called the CAGE Number. So, I found several CAGE Numbers on the web and then started digging through my mags to verify what the web stated.

Hers's what I came up with:
    If I verified the Maker and the CAGE with mags that I own, I made the Maker and Cage Number BOLD and Underlined.

Center #6P199
    Cooper #30389
    FN #3S679

Labelle #90435
    General Stamping #90435

Okay #33710
    NHMTG #33710
    Colt #33710

D&H #04TQ4
    DSG #04TQ4
    Bravo Company #04TQ4

Brownells #Not Marked
    H&K #Not Marked
    Parsons #31907

I grouped the different Makers with the same C# together.
    I've read that D&H makes DSG and Bravo but I didn't have a D&H mag to verify D&H's C#. I put it next to DSG & Bravo so when someone verifies it I won't have to modify the lsit.

If you have a mag that is not listed please send me the Cage Number on the mag and the Maker and I'll add it to this list.
    BUT we have to have a standard and this is what I think it should be -
    If you have a mag that has a Cage Number AND the Maker stamped on the body of the mag, we will call that "verified".
    If you have a mag with a Cage Number on the body but no maker stamped on the body, send that Cage Number but note that the Maker info came from the bottom plate. This method would be unreliable because the bottom plates can be swapped out so easy but if we get enough people that have the same info of bottom plate maker and Cage Numbers, we'll mark it as "assumed".

I'm expecting to see Colt with several different Cage Numbers because I've read several places that different people made their mags over the years.

I was surprised to not see a C# on my Brownell's mag since it is brand new.

Last edited by ucrt; 07-23-10 at 13:04.

Feedback Score
    I have colt ,D&H, and Okay. I had 7 c-products mags from different years all brand new. I use p-mags mostly. When I took the c-crap mags out all of them failed every single one in many different guns. Took me 2 months to get replacements which i promptly sold new in the wrapper. the first 3 I listed run all the time I cannot get them to fail and they have green followers.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ucrt View Post
    D&H #??
    DSG #04TQ4
    Bravo Company #04TQ4
    04TQ4 is D&H's CAGE code, which you can confirm at this website:

http://www.dlis.dla.mil/cage_welcome.asp

Your proposed method of verifying maker by checking cage code and company name on the mag body doesn't make sense to me as all the USGI mags I have only have company name (or private label name such as the Bravo company labeled D&H's) on the floorplate, not the mag body. Mag bodies just have the CAGE code and month/year of manufacture stamped on them.
    Last edited by BrianS; 07-23-10 at 01:50.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Buy some lottery tickets. Cprod is one of the most problematic mag companies ever. I wouldn't take any for free.

VERY hit and miss. I used to go read all of their problem threads in their own forum on Arftard.
    i'm not surprised...lowest bidder is what determines our gear. i use pmags for duty anyway.

Feedback Score
    Brownell's claims to make their own mags, although I don't know if that means stamping/welding/etc. everything from scratch or just assembling subcontracted parts.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    I hope you're joking.
    Hence the smiley, naturally

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianS View Post
    04TQ4 is D&H's CAGE code, which you can confirm at this website:

http://www.dlis.dla.mil/cage_welcome.asp

Your proposed method of verifying maker by checking cage code and company name on the mag body doesn't make sense to me as all the USGI mags I have only have company name (or private label name such as the Bravo company labeled D&H's) on the floorplate, not the mag body. Mag bodies just have the CAGE code and month/year of manufacture stamped on them.
    =========================================

Several USGI mags that I own have both the makers name and the Cage Number stamped on the body, examples are Colt and Okay. I have purchased several brand new mags from dealers, so I know that base plate is correct for that mag. I consider that "verified". I think I remember seeing Center mags with both stampings on the body but I didn't have one handy to verify.

That is why I wanted a "standard". I wouldn't consider an example of one as "verified". But if 10 people reply that McGuillicutty stamped floorplate mag is on a body with a BR549 Cage Number, we can "assume" that Cage # is for McGuillicutty.

I haven't been able to find a reliable Cage# Index for mags. Just thought it would be handy for someone to be able to know who actually makes their mag. Heck, you never know, where you'd get a chance to find a pile of blank floorplated mags with an NHMTG Cage # for $1 each. Might be a good deal if you know the Cage#.

But it was just an idea...maybe its not worth the effort??

Last edited by ucrt; 07-23-10 at 12:09.

Feedback Score
    No I think it is a good idea to have a list of mag bodies and CAGE codes, I just think if you look up the CAGE on a government website that is verification enough.

I am gonna look into a couple boxes for preban mags and look for manufacturer info on them.
    Last edited by BrianS; 07-23-10 at 20:07.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12