Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 14.5 in cold climates

Feedback Score

14.5 in cold climates

I was reading another thread where people reported their 18" rifle length systems having issues in cold climates because of the lesser dwell time and it got me thinking has anyone heard or had a 14.5 mid length perform worse in a cold climates?

Feedback Score
    I have been shooting a 14.5" system for the last 3+ years up here in Minnesota and have Zero issues with the rifle cycling properly.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I've run my Jack in NEPA cold-level temps (below freezing, but I don't think ever single digits) and it has run fine.
    On the seventh day God rested; Marines filled sandbags

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    I took a carbine course with Jay Cunningham in January of '10 here in Pittsburgh. At our Sunday range shoot, we had a high of 5 degrees that afternoon. We had a variety of rifles there - including 14.5 inchers. ALL ran fine, because - as we had been instructed - we ran 'em WET!
    - Either you're part of the problem or you're part of the solution or you're just part of the landscape - Sam (Robert DeNiro) in, "Ronin" -

Feedback Score
    Having an overgassed gun with a longer dwell time certainly helps in extreme cold temperatures. I'd like all my guns be reliable down to -40 temps, but only rarely there are opportunities to test gear even at -15, so I do not know how my ARs would function at -40.

My SR-15 is so smooth to shoot at normal temps that I'm little bit worried if it has enough energy reserves for running reliably in extreme cold temperatures, when the gun is dirty, you can't use lube, and most ammo becomes light loads.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Shot a couple guns the last week.

It was -20 Here in Dullyouth. -45 with Windchill.

Left a rifle out in the howling wind for about an hour with M855.

Loaded and fired just fine out of a 16" barrel.

I also tried out the 11.5 and that worked wonderfully, but is an overgassed hog from PSA.

My Adams Arms piston runs fine until Tula gets involved. Shoot steel outa the piston gun and the swelling, with the cold, gets a little funky and stops up.

Otherwise, though, my DIs ran fine.

The hardest part was holding the rifle once it was cold. Even through a pair of thinsulates the cold radiated in after a few minutes.

More importantly, for rifles, I haven't had opportunities to do a lot of deep cold trekking. I hear there are some issues with condensation due to body heat/sweat, but that the dust cover should help avoid most of any rifles freezing up. Including making sure you have a round in the chamber to use the pressure to break it open after the first shot if needed.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by HeruMew View Post
    Shot a couple guns the last week.

It was -20 Here in Dullyouth. -45 with Windchill.

Left a rifle out in the howling wind for about an hour with M855.

Loaded and fired just fine out of a 16" barrel.

I also tried out the 11.5 and that worked wonderfully, but is an overgassed hog from PSA.

My Adams Arms piston runs fine until Tula gets involved. Shoot steel outa the piston gun and the swelling, with the cold, gets a little funky and stops up.

Otherwise, though, my DIs ran fine.

The hardest part was holding the rifle once it was cold. Even through a pair of thinsulates the cold radiated in after a few minutes.

More importantly, for rifles, I haven't had opportunities to do a lot of deep cold trekking. I hear there are some issues with condensation due to body heat/sweat, but that the dust cover should help avoid most of any rifles freezing up. Including making sure you have a round in the chamber to use the pressure to break it open after the first shot if needed.
    Good info, thank you for posting it.
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score
    This is the problem especially with free floating handguards, as they rarely have any meaningful insulation and bare aluminium will radiate the cold effectively.

I hear there are some issues with condensation due to body heat/sweat, but that the dust cover should help avoid most of any rifles freezing up. Including making sure you have a round in the chamber to use the pressure to break it open after the first shot if needed.
    In my experience the body heat or sweat has never been an issue, unless we are talking about optics - breathing into the lenses freezes those immediately. Condensation will be a problem if you bring your rifle with you into heated buildings, cars or tents, and then back to outside. To avoid condensation it is usually best the keep the rifle outside all the time.

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)

Negative.

Twenty.

LOL.

Hard pass. I've never even seen snow. But I know ARs work well in hurricanes and the swamps.
    Why do the loudest do the least?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Thanks Stickman! No frostbite, so well worth getting in my weekly shooting practice.

Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post

Negative.

Twenty.

LOL.

Hard pass. I've never even seen snow. But I know ARs work well in hurricanes and the swamps.
    Haha! You're not a Minnesotan unless you contemplate: "What the hell am I doing living here?" At least once a year. It hit -29 one night. For giggles, I ran out to the truck. Never again. It was horrible when that -50 degree windchilled air hits your lungs and you're practically gasping.

Beyond that, it's 27 degrees today, this week has been beautiful. Sweatshirt and jeans weather at least.

And people wonder why Minnesotans are donning sandals and shorts at 50 degrees. 80 degrees is boiling for us though. 90* with 100% humidity kills our locals.

Quote Originally Posted by Titan74 View Post
    This is the problem especially with free floating handguards, as they rarely have any meaningful insulation and bare aluminium will radiate the cold effectively.

In my experience the body heat or sweat has never been an issue, unless we are talking about optics - breathing into the lenses freezes those immediately. Condensation will be a problem if you bring your rifle with you into heated buildings, cars or tents, and then back to outside. To avoid condensation it is usually best the keep the rifle outside all the time.
    Thanks for the input. I did notice the condensation rate on my rifles when bringing them in. I quarantine them from the safe until I am confident they're dry and get a light lubing on the surfaces. Nonetheless, I was referencing having heard the same happen with condensation cycles from the body. Not something I will ever have trouble with, though. Sounds like it would take some pretty extreme circumstances for that to happen to anyone.

Great conversations among.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast