Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 4 9mm loads- Given a choice..which one?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

4 9mm loads- Given a choice..which one?

Im presently about to re-stock up on 9mm ammo.
    This ammo will NOT be for everyday carry/self defense...I have plenty of that.
    This ammo will be for training/practice/SHTF/rainy day ect. ect.
    I want full power..as close to +P or NATO spec as possible.
    Ive narrowed down to the following 4:
    1. MEN 9mm 124gr FMJ
    2. Blazer Brass 124gr FMJ
    3. Speer Lawman 124.gr. FMJ
    4. Winchester NATO 124gr. FMJ.

Which of these would you choose to load up on for reasons given..and why?
    Also- is the Speer Lawman load in 9mm and other calibers, a hotter load in terms of FPS than other FMJ range type ammo?
    Any other suggestions that meet my criteria welcomed.
    The obedient always think of themselves as virtuous rather than the cowards they really are.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    None of your four choices are +P, all are standard pressure (1140 fps+-).
    Given that none are "hotter" than the others, intended purpose is training/practice; I'd get the cheaper of them.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    SS, you might have to check the respective websites in order to confirm velocities. With that said, use whatever load that is known to be the most accurate and reliable for your​ firearms.

jpgm

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    None of your four choices are +P, all are standard pressure (1140 fps+-).
    Given that none are "hotter" than the others, intended purpose is training/practice; I'd get the cheaper of them.
    Went back and checked my chrono notes Id forgot about...you are correct about at least the Blazer load. My notes from some time ago show the Winchester NATO load right at +P. Also found info on the MEN load..showing 1214fps. Isnt that close to +P?
    Who makes a +P FMJ load in 124gr?
    The obedient always think of themselves as virtuous rather than the cowards they really are.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Of the list, I'd probably say the MEN would be the first choice. After that, for overall quality I would be inclined to give the nod to the Speer over Winchester. The blazer I'd personally put at the bottom. That said, I am not sure if the Speer 9mm is going to be hotter than just standard pressure opposed to NATO, which the Win and MEN ammo should be running at, though not having chronoed the stuff I cannot say with utmost certainty and only having shot the NATO ammo next to standard US manufactured ammo and finding the recoil to be a tad bit brisker.

Also, OP, another option to consider would be S&B. I have shot the stuff for years, and have always favored it for training, and it was definitely loaded hotter than most domestic manufacturer ball. I know my Beretta loves the stuff. Not sure if the MEN might not be better ammo than the S&B, but it is an option and prices on it have been pretty good lately like under $200 before shipping.
    "I don't collect guns anymore, I stockpile weapons for ****ing war." Chuck P.

"Some days you eat the bacon, and other days the bacon eats you." SeriousStudent

"Don't complain when after killing scores of women and children in a mall, a group of well armed men who train to shoot people like you in the face show up to say hello." WillBrink

Feedback Score
    6 (88%)
    I haven't tried the MEN yet, but of the other options on your list, I liked Speer the most.

It is what I stocked up most on for training/non-defensive use. I did find that it shot a little hotter than others, but I have no chrono to measure. So this is just based off perceived feel.

I have a few boxes of Magtech 124 gr that I have yet to try. I've heard good things about it, and it was priced about the same as Speer.

Gecco is another good option that's pretty cheap, but very comparable to Speer, Blazer, and Winchester IMO.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kain View Post
    Of the list, I'd probably say the MEN would be the first choice. After that, for overall quality I would be inclined to give the nod to the Speer over Winchester. The blazer I'd personally put at the bottom. That said, I am not sure if the Speer 9mm is going to be hotter than just standard pressure opposed to NATO, which the Win and MEN ammo should be running at, though not having chronoed the stuff I cannot say with utmost certainty and only having shot the NATO ammo next to standard US manufactured ammo and finding the recoil to be a tad bit brisker.

Also, OP, another option to consider would be S&B. I have shot the stuff for years, and have always favored it for training, and it was definitely loaded hotter than most domestic manufacturer ball. I know my Beretta loves the stuff. Not sure if the MEN might not be better ammo than the S&B, but it is an option and prices on it have been pretty good lately like under $200 before shipping.
    Thanks to all- Ill certainly look into S&B. That's one ammo brand Ive have 0 experience with. Ill look around for some specs.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    I just went through a case of that Speer lawman and had zero issues through a Glock 19, 26 and P30L. Shot great. Felt hotter than most of the range ammo that I use, but I have no chrono or anything to back that up. Blazer brass is the case I just cracked into, but is my usual target ammo. Never had an ammo related issue there either.
    Last edited by WickedWillis; 03-14-17 at 18:34.
    98% Sarcastic. 100% Overthinking things and making up reasons for buying a new firearm.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    All of those will likely serve you well, but if it'd were me I'd go with the MEN first (just based on interwebz hype) then Speer. Lawman is supposed to be the practice ammo counterpart to Gold Dots and I've always liked it a lot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Straight Shooter View Post
    1. MEN 9mm 124gr FMJ
    2. Blazer Brass 124gr FMJ
    3. Speer Lawman 124.gr. FMJ
    4. Winchester NATO 124gr. FMJ.
    Of those four, the Speer.
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب