Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Planning on buying a new tactical rifle soon. Advice needed!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    The SCAR is not multi-caliber at this point. I assume the aftermarket caliber conversions you mentioned are from High Desert Dog, which are vaporware as far as I know.

What caliber conversions do you want? The 901 looks interesting, but I'm not sure about its performance in 308. Also, I think it is better to simply have different complete rifles in various calibers.

If caliber conversion is your goal, then the 901, ARX-100 (assuming Beretta releases a 7.62x39 kit), MCX, and LMT MRP are your best options. The AUG is also convertible between 5.56 and 9mm. If you're looking for a "cool" rifle, an AUG A3M1 fills this role well.

The Sig Sauer 556xi is not a rifle I would consider with Sig Sauer's poor QC/QA on the 556 series.

Frankly I think you are better off buying a quality AR fully outfitted with quality optic, light, sling, fore-end, stock, etc. then buy ammo and shoot your rifle. Parts availability and ease of end-user armorer level maintenance make the AR hard to beat. The AR is also ergonomically superior to all other current platforms. A BCM AR with KMR rail and BCM furniture would be my current choice.
    Last edited by JoshNC; 02-27-15 at 06:50.

Feedback Score
    Thanks to everyone who took the time to respond. I am weighing my options, but I am already leanung towards a mid grade AR.

Feedback Score
    32 (97%)
    With your budget you really can get 2 rifles. A QC inspected WASR from Atlantic Firearms and a 6920 from somewhere else. That leaves you with a little under a grand for ammo and mags for both. You can add slings and optics later after you get some trigger time on each.
    I must study politics and war, that our sons may have liberty to study mathematics and philosophy. - John Adams

The AK guys are all about the reach around. - Garand Thumb.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Caeser25 View Post
    With your budget you really can get 2 rifles. A QC inspected WASR from Atlantic Firearms and a 6920 from somewhere else. That leaves you with a little under a grand for ammo and mags for both. You can add slings and optics later after you get some trigger time on each.
    I agree with this statement. Colt 6920 and a quality AK is a great start.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    I think you are wrong to view the Scar as superior to the HK MR556 honestly. I enjoy both rifles, but the MR556 is around the top of the M4/AR platform rifles on the market.
    98% Sarcastic. 100% Overthinking things and making up reasons for buying a new firearm.

Feedback Score
    Does anyone have feedback on how the DD's are?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WickedWillis View Post
    I think you are wrong to view the Scar as superior to the HK MR556 honestly. I enjoy both rifles, but the MR556 is around the top of the M4/AR platform rifles on the market.
    Where did you read where I said that the Scar is better than the MR556?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    DD guns are top tier and are a great first gun that will run well out of the box. Throw your choice of optic/sling/light on it and start shooting.

Rick

Feedback Score
    32 (97%)
    For what the ops needs/wants of paper punching for fun, an mr556 and scarh are overkill.
    I must study politics and war, that our sons may have liberty to study mathematics and philosophy. - John Adams

The AK guys are all about the reach around. - Garand Thumb.

Feedback Score
    #1 I would start with a quality direct impingement AR (LMT, DD, Noveske, etc) simply buy right the first time. The Colt is a great place to start but I just really like LMT MRP's. Make sure it has a longish (10" or more) free float tube.

#2 Get a good CQB style optic (Aimpoint H1 or H2)

#3 Get a good sling (VTAC IMO)

#4 Get good magazines (Lancer IMO) and put your name on them

#5 spend the money on training...spend the extra money on training....spend the extra money on training... you dont know what you dont know and once you do...you might regret some of your gear choices...once you get professional training...you will want to modify your gun

#6 when it comes to those other platforms I really like the MR556, and the SCAR L is not worth considering because the SCAR H is only a few hundred bucks more. If it was my SCAR you saw, I have about 4k wrapped up in that gun. When it comes to caliber conversions for that gun do a search around here. When Handl was doing the protoypes to validate the design I posted a video in here. Considering they would retail for about $2000 at current scale, they are not ready for prime time.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast