Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 LastLast

Thread: Favorite Drills

Feedback Score
    90 (97%)
    Here is what I've been doing on the weekends and when I have time after work.

Start off with VTAC 1-5 drill. Run that 4 times.

Then I do a Modified VTAC 1-5. I put on target at 75 yards, the next at 50 yards and the 3rd at 25 yards. I stand on the 100 yard line and run the drill from 25 to 50 to 75. Run that 4 times.

I do the Modified 1-5 in reverse then 4 times(Start with the 75 yard target, then 50, then 25).

Finally I do what I call the Suicide 100.

Starting at 10 yards, I engage with my pistol a 2/3rd IPSC with 3 rounds, holster and run to 25 yards, 3 rounds with my rifle from standing, run to 50 and 3 rounds with Rifle standing, run to 75 yards 3 rounds kneeling, run to 100 yards, 3 rounds Prone, then I run back to 75 and repeat all the way back to pistol.

That drill gets your heart rate up, gets your really having to move and focus on what your doing.
    JF Arms Company - Owner
    07/02 FFL/SOT

Sword & Shield Training Group - SSTG
    - Be the Sword & Shield for your community thru knowledge and skills.

----------------------
    EMT - Parkview DeKalb EMS

13 years of serving Northeast Indiana's citizens.
    ----------------------
    Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    "EXTREME!" Half and Half

This drill is used to push those that can achieve a consistent passing score on the Half and Half to push themselves and gear to the edge of performance.

This is for advanced shooters.

50 yards
    5x8 index card placed vertically
    Standing Alert
    10 rounds
    15 seconds

35 yards
    Standing Alert
    10 rounds
    10 seconds

20 yards
    Standing Alert
    10 rounds
    8 seconds

10 yards
    3x5 index card placed vertically
    Standing Alert
    10 rounds
    5 seconds

5 yards
    3x5 index card placed vertically
    10 rounds
    2.5 seconds

It isn't easy.
    Thanks for posting that one, F2S.
    We miss you, AC.
    We miss you, ToddG.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Safety drill

What would be good drills to instill habit of engaging safety in between shooting at targets and disengaging it again after shooting the next target and on and on.

I have found my trigger finger unconsciously moving into the trigger well and forgetting to use the thumb to move the lever back to safety. Need to break this bad habit.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by gesundheit View Post
    What would be good drills to instill habit of engaging safety in between shooting at targets and disengaging it again after shooting the next target and on and on.

I have found my trigger finger unconsciously moving into the trigger well and forgetting to use the thumb to move the lever back to safety. Need to break this bad habit.
    Dedicated repetitive training of the manipulation you are trying to instill. Start with deliberate, thought-engaged repetition and slowly increase pace until the desired action is habitual.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    Dedicated repetitive training of the manipulation you are trying to instill. Start with deliberate, thought-engaged repetition and slowly increase pace until the desired action is habitual.
    Thanks. I will get right on it.

Feedback Score
    A series of drills I came up with to maximize your range time with minimal ammo

Pistol Warm Up

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URmAqb8cAdU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFY3M4wnRlM
    Last edited by currahee; 03-18-13 at 12:08.
    Every citizen should be a soldier. This was the case with the Greeks and Romans and must be that of every free state. - T. Jefferson

EVERYCITIZENASOLDIER.org

Feedback Score

"One Shot" Reload Drill

When the reload has to be smooth.....the all important first shot is on target.....efficiently.

http://youtu.be/65zO9K1g11I
    Criterion Tactical- "Accurately Assessing Mastery..."

"You can have a life plan or a fight plan, but when the action starts, you're down to your reflexes -- your training. If you've cheated on your training in the dark of the morning, you'll be found out under the bright lights."

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)

Re: Favorite Drills

Quote Originally Posted by criterion01 View Post
    When the reload has to be smooth.....the all important first shot is on target.....efficiently.

http://youtu.be/65zO9K1g11I
    What target at what distance?

I will generally run a few sets of reloads with magazines with a random number of rounds (from 1-5) on "A zones" at 3 to 15 yards before a competition (USPSA) to get used to reloading from all of my pouches.

Typos brought to you via Tapatalk and autocorrect.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    Deleted
    Last edited by dash1; 12-30-13 at 15:57.

Feedback Score

One Shot Reload Drill

Failure2Stop.....I generally shoot this at 7 for classes. Utilizing distance as a "means to know one's limitations" the focus often changes to speed of shot over efficiency of reload....and lack of accuracy "just to get a shot off"....excellent teaching points throughout.
    Criterion Tactical- "Accurately Assessing Mastery..."

"You can have a life plan or a fight plan, but when the action starts, you're down to your reflexes -- your training. If you've cheated on your training in the dark of the morning, you'll be found out under the bright lights."

Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 LastLast