Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: POF Roller Cam

Feedback Score

POF Roller Cam

Is there any benefit in running the roller cam in a DI carbine?
    I know I can't think of any benefit, but POF sells a kit for the DI gun.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

--"Fight back! Whenever you are offered violence, fight back! The aggressor does not fear the law, so he must be taught to fear you. Whatever the risk, and at whatever the cost, fight back!"-- Jeff Cooper

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I have one and haven't had any problems with it yet. My action does seem a bit smoother in its operation, however I don't see it as something you should go out and spend the money on with the expectation of it making your carbine "better" or more reliable. I won mine so it cost me nothing.
    Last edited by wahoo95; 09-24-11 at 10:26.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    From strictly a curiousity standpoint, do you believe that your rifle could, would, or could not function if the roller started to fail by becoming loose or whatever, to outright failing with actual parts seperation but remaining captured by the upper housing and carrier, yet still able to cycle perhaps until the next time things are taken apart?

IOW, given that a conventional part can fail too, is the roller plausibly at least reasonably close to 'trustworthy' as the standard cam or even relatively as durable?

Again, strictly curious on your thoughts as I'm not gonna buy one just to find out, but that doesn't mean I don't want to know.
    Last edited by GTifosi; 09-24-11 at 14:25.

Feedback Score
    One the earliest original designs had rollers, why would the designer leave them off of following designs if they were necessary?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    There's 'neccisary' and there's 'cost effective'.
    The two don't always go hand in hand at the manufacturing contract level, nor does the designer have the final say in such things.
    He may 'want', but the powers that be will 'have'.

The bearing may or may not have been better, but certainly the pin as it exists now is significantly more cost effective and gets the job done adequately to a level where it doesn't hurt money wise to just toss it at X interval and put in another one.
    Last edited by GTifosi; 09-25-11 at 09:58.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    S
    Quote Originally Posted by GTifosi View Post
    From strictly a curiousity standpoint, do you believe that your rifle could, would, or could not function if the roller started to fail by becoming loose or whatever, to outright failing with actual parts seperation but remaining captured by the upper housing and carrier, yet still able to cycle perhaps until the next time things are taken apart?

IOW, given that a conventional part can fail too, is the roller plausibly at least reasonably close to 'trustworthy' as the standard cam or even relatively as durable?

Again, strictly curious on your thoughts as I'm not gonna buy one just to find out, but that doesn't mean I don't want to know.
    I think it would function about like a standard cam pin when it breaks. In all honesty, I cant see the new roller cam breaking as it "appears" to have less visible wear than a standard cam pin I have at the same 5k round count.

Feedback Score

cam pin

It does change the wear slightly on the upper where the pin unlocks.

Has anyone ever just machined the wear into the upper?

These pins luckily seem very solid manufactured, the tolerances are something I would never play with and it is well built. In saying that it does seem to have a failure mode that the pin doesn't. That is the roller could come off.

If it locked, then it would maybe take some energy from the bolt group and maybe cause issue with the firing pin, there was a gun called the Hack 7 that had a round (not roller) firing pin that didn't rotate and was problematic.

The square on the standard pin keeps this rotational tendency from happening. The roller cam and a DI system just doesn't sound like a lifelong marriage.

I am scared of cam pins considering that is something thing that could kill you if it were to break.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by armatac View Post
    It does change the wear slightly on the upper where the pin unlocks.

Has anyone ever just machined the wear into the upper?

These pins luckily seem very solid manufactured, the tolerances are something I would never play with and it is well built. In saying that it does seem to have a failure mode that the pin doesn't. That is the roller could come off.

If it locked, then it would maybe take some energy from the bolt group and maybe cause issue with the firing pin, there was a gun called the Hack 7 that had a round (not roller) firing pin that didn't rotate and was problematic.

The square on the standard pin keeps this rotational tendency from happening. The roller cam and a DI system just doesn't sound like a lifelong marriage.

I am scared of cam pins considering that is something thing that could kill you if it were to break.

The roller could come off, however its no different than the top of a standard pin head shearing off...which I have seen. The roller like any other part could fail, however it appears to be under less stress by design when compared to the standard pins.

Feedback Score
    Did the head break where the stress relief groove is?

I change them frequently, they get that sinusoidal wave mark on the side, that is where I thought they would break.

I have always thought that the TDP should be tweaked to reduce the cam pin shaft O.D. by about .03" so the bolt would last longer. Bolts sometimes seem to elongate and crack around the cam pin on some high stress guns.

wahoo95, call UVA and tell them that the football team doesn't get cheerleaders next year if they don't start a turnaround.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeahe View Post
    I know I can't think of any benefit, but...
    ...But a piston AR company markets a product so it must be better? Naw dude.

I, too, own a POF roller cam pin. I havent noticed any significant increase in the smoothness of the unlocking action and while it may reduce stress somewhat... I believe that regular cam pins manufactured by reputable companies have more history of reliable performance behind them than any piston AR company can conceive of. Again, solution searching for a problem IMO.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast