Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: 249/240 marksmanship and general use tips

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by echo5whiskey View Post
    I would presume that Arctic's reference to MG3s and such, as well as his profile location, would mean that he is more accustomed to the European side of MGs. That being said, I've never met the guy, so it is just a presumption.

We would op-check to ensure that our saws would "function" with mags, but our SOP was to carry enough belts so that it would not come to that. I have never seen, in person, a saw that was able to get through a full mag with no malfunctions. That doesn't mean that doesn't happen, just that I've never witnessed it. The use of mage is a great concept, just an unreliable practice.
    Not sure if it's true or not but I've always been told that the reason 249's hate mags is because gi mags can't feed fast enough to keep up with the high rate of fire. I've also been told that pmags are supposedly better in a saw due to a stronger spring. The only time I've seen a saw do fine with mags is when my wife shoots one. Every freaking time. Anyone else can pick it up right after her and have problems.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr blasty View Post
    Not sure if it's true or not but I've always been told that the reason 249's hate mags is because gi mags can't feed fast enough to keep up with the high rate of fire. I've also been told that pmags are supposedly better in a saw due to a stronger spring. The only time I've seen a saw do fine with mags is when my wife shoots one. Every freaking time. Anyone else can pick it up right after her and have problems.

Yeah I've always heard that mags were a no-go, but have been wanting to try PMAGs out of curiosity. And how the hell do you have access to a SAW on the civilian side?
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    Yeah I've always heard that mags were a no-go, but have been wanting to try PMAGs out of curiosity.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr blasty View Post
    The BNs got Pmags after I started instructing, then they took them away (due to incompatibility with IARs) right after I got back; so I've never had that opportunity.

I guess Mrs blasty is especially blessed by the gods of war
    "All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing." -Edmund Burke

"It is better to be thought a fool and to remain silent, than to speak and remove all doubt." -Abraham Lincoln

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    Yeah I've always heard that mags were a no-go, but have been wanting to try PMAGs out of curiosity. And how the hell do you have access to a SAW on the civilian side?
    Local range has a ton of autos for rent. I'm personal friends with several of the RO's and employees so I get to play more often than most.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I've found the best weapon to start an ambush with is a GBU-54.

I'll see myself out...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by J8127 View Post

I'll see myself out...
    Yeah my Lt tried that one during my first pump...
    "All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing." -Edmund Burke

"It is better to be thought a fool and to remain silent, than to speak and remove all doubt." -Abraham Lincoln

Feedback Score
    If you're not a grunt and your NCOs don't have decent MG experience ask an infantry unit to loan you some guys they think are good teachers. As an E3 0331 I remember helping to coach our H&S section up through E6s on crew served weapons. In Afghanistan I was the lead MG instructor for a Bn of JAF, also as an E3, before I rejoined my platoon. With all due respect theres just too much to it to get anything more valuable than how to pull the trigger without having people there who know machinegunnery and machineguns.

I also don't recall hearing never start an ambush with an open bolt weapon. In fact I almost swear we were told let out an extra long burst before going to the rapid rate. M240s have always run just as reliably as M4s for me.

Mike

Sent from my cell phone with a tiny keyboard and large thumbs...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Like I said, I wasn't a '31, I was an '11. I learned pretty much everything I knew (about operation and capabilities) from a Lcpl section leader.

...and I do stand corrected: According to Marine Corps Warfighting Publication (MCWP) 3-11.3:

(3) The signal to open fire should meet two criteria. First, it should be
    the firing of a weapon that will kill the enemy. Second, it should be a weapon that will shock the enemy and throw him into a state of confusion. An excellent primary signal is a command-detonated claymore mine fired by the patrol leader. The alternate signal should be a machine gun or an automatic weapon.

While I was taught the opposite as a matter of SOP, this principle does appear in MC doctrine. There are a couple other sections earlier on that mention that the patrol leader is to initiate the ambush by firing, so maybe it was interpreted as being with his own weapon.

I will take my crow medium-rare with a slight sear.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by J8127 View Post

I'll see myself out...
    A claymore yes, but a GBU never because the sound of the clicking of the fins give 1-2 seconds of warning.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by R0N View Post
    A claymore yes, but a GBU never because the sound of the clicking of the fins give 1-2 seconds of warning.
    However, that does generally get the uninitiated to stop and look up...
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast